F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 JB4 Install OBD2 Firewall workaround

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:56 PM
Wayne Chen
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
JB4 Install OBD2 Firewall workaround

Hi everyone,

I've lurked here for a few weeks after just picking up a 2014 CPO Cooper S in search of mods in the sales threads. This is my 1st post since I joined and in the modding spirit, wanted to highlight my jb4 install.

I picked up a JB4 and rev3 in the sales section and was extremely excited to install it thinking it would be straight plug n play.

Install was extremely straightforward and easy up until I got to the OBD2 connection. I have a manual, and in the pdf, it says to access the grommet where the clutch line is currently going through. After spending about half an hour screwing with it and trying to pry the rubber grommet loose, I almost gave up until I was sitting in the drivers seat and happened to notice a gap between the door and front quarter panel, leading directly into the engine compartment.

Here's where the lightbulb went off and I figured, what the hell, let's give it a shot. I disconnected the OBD2 wire and took the smaller connector that plugs into the JB4 harness and tried to push it through the gap. It's an extremely tight fit, but with the help of a screwdriver (recommend a small dowel or rod, unless you have a really thick flathead bit) pushed it through the opening. See pic below.
JB4 Install OBD2 Firewall workaround-0mnnc87.jpg

Once through, the install went right back to being easy and straightforward.

Here's the end result of the OBD2 wire install.
JB4 Install OBD2 Firewall workaround-2h9ywek.jpg
JB4 Install OBD2 Firewall workaround-ghm7mjj.jpg

Once you close the door, the cable is tight and doesn't wiggle at all. It also should be rain/weatherproof as it all runs underneath the plastic and metalwork of the front engine compartment and A pillar, but either way, the cable is already shielded.

Anyway, hope it helps others that have or are thinking of getting a JB4 and don't want to mess with the clutch line grommet (or any other grommet for that matter)

The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Chen:
Afrothunder_72 (06-05-2018), Juggsyo (07-08-2020)