F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 iOS 11 changed things (notifications)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 01:25 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
iOS 11 changed things (notifications)

Hi all. I have an iPhone 6s. Before I "upgraded" to iOS 11 I could do the following:

Use my phone for calls via BT and also BT streaming, but if I wanted to hear my phone buzz when I got a text, I could swipe the home page on my phone to select iPhone instead of MINIxxxx. That would still allow the phone call but would let me hear my phone alerts. The phone basically goes into silent mode unless you tell it not to my selecting iPhone instead of MINI.

AFTER getting iOS 11:

when I swipe up on my phone, it looks like I can turn off BT, but no way to have it set to BT phone but not BT messages.

So, heres the thing, I can read text messages on my car center screen. Heck, my MINI will even read them to me! But if I don't know that a message has arrived, I can't use the car to read them. So I have to check my phone for a visual and that's not good. Why can't I get my phone, or better yet, THE CAR, to tell me a message is received?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2017, 01:26 PM
StephenM
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by spyked
Hi all. I have an iPhone 6s. Before I "upgraded" to iOS 11 I could do the following:

Use my phone for calls via BT and also BT streaming, but if I wanted to hear my phone buzz when I got a text, I could swipe the home page on my phone to select iPhone instead of MINIxxxx. That would still allow the phone call but would let me hear my phone alerts. The phone basically goes into silent mode unless you tell it not to my selecting iPhone instead of MINI.

AFTER getting iOS 11:

when I swipe up on my phone, it looks like I can turn off BT, but no way to have it set to BT phone but not BT messages.

So, heres the thing, I can read text messages on my car center screen. Heck, my MINI will even read them to me! But if I don't know that a message has arrived, I can't use the car to read them. So I have to check my phone for a visual and that's not good. Why can't I get my phone, or better yet, THE CAR, to tell me a message is received?

Thanks!
Same phone, same iOS version. Go Home -> Settings -> Bluetooth then click the "i" in the circle next to your MINI (should be a series of numbers followed by "MINI". Ensure "Show Notifications" is turned on (bu default it usually is not). Now when you get a text a small envelope icon should show up next to your phone signal strength meter on the MINI display whenever you get a new text!

Old 10-11-2017, 01:00 PM
StephenM
2nd Gear
Tried to answer this yesterday but it needs to be approved by a moderator?

Old 10-11-2017, 01:09 PM
StephenM
2nd Gear
I'll try again:

So same phone an iOS version. On the phone try going to Hone -> Settings -> Bluetooth and find your MINI under devices (should say MINI followed by a series of numbers). Select the blue "i" in a circle next to it. Ensure that "Show Notifications" is turned on (by default it is not). Now when you get a text message an envelope indicator should show up on the screen of your MINI next to the phone signal strength meter.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-12-2017, 04:06 AM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks Stephen. I do see that little envelope. I was hoping there would be an audible notification so I can keep my eyes on the road more.

Thanks again for the reply!

Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
My NAVDY HUD gives me a visual indicator when I have a message. It will also display or read the message if I want.