F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Sunglasses - Polarized or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sunglasses - Polarized or not?

Now that I have a new prescription for distance viewing, I'm considering getting my first pair of prescription sunglasses for driving. So which is better, polarized or regular? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:28 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Matter of preference. Your displays will disappear in the car, more so if you tilt your head, but you'll also see fish in the river below the surface. They cut glare and UV but at a price.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:15 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I'd go polarized to cut down on glare. I can still see my nav screen just fine but I know the HUD becomes almost too dim to see with polarized lenses. Not sure how it would interact with the smaller visual boost non-nav screen but it is easy to test.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 AM
mario23
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I need new sunglasses but I would need progressives...expensive!!!
Other than that I guess I'm used to polarized so I have no issues with it.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:47 AM
jacobj
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have polarized lenses and have no issues with the screens in my 2017 Cooper S. I have heard that the HUD will give you problems, but I don't have one.
You also might notice odd patterns and colors on your window tint that may bother you quite a bit, but it has never bothered me too much.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:38 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm an optometrist and yes you can get polarized progressives....the ultimate would polarized progressives with an anti-reflection coating on the back surface

Wearing polarized glasses will make the visual boost screen only just slightly dimmer (although if you tip your head 45 degrees the display will go completely blank, but if your head is straight then no problem) .......but also, if you are driving into the sun any reflections off the dash that appear in the windshield are eliminated by the polarizing lenses, which is why the HUD image is totally wiped out by polarized glasses ...

the dash reflections are not too much of a problem most of the time in the mini .....on my wife's Fit and before that her Civic the reflections are annoyingly awful and you want to leave the dashboard nice and dusty to make it less reflective but the Mini is less a problem usually but if they bother you then the polarized will help a lot

and yes you will see the fish in the lake easier