F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 How to Buy a New Mini -- The Art of the Deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I'll continue to counter with, "This is what I will pay for this car, when you are ready to sell it to me, get in touch". As long as you remove emotion and desire from your mindset you will probably get the car eventually for your price.

With that being said, I had a relative who insisted that CD players where way too expensive when they came out. He waited ten years to buy one and while I paid top dollar at the time, I got 10 years of enjoyment from not having to flip LP's over half way through an album.

Who was smarter?

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 12:21 PM
jchaperon
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for posting this. Usually I'm under the impression that people won't read long posts because it seems our attention spans have shortened to 140 characters or less, but sometimes, it just takes more.

Agreed; on my last deal, I did just that. I came into the dealer, knew I would be sitting there a while for the process to work out, and let them do their thing. I came with my numbers, knew their numbers, knew how long the car was on their books, and just made a deal to BOTH of our benefits. I traded in a car that wasn't worth anything due to high mileage and some damage, but I got what I wanted on that trade, and, although I told them I would only put so much down, I was prepared to pay more to get the numbers I wanted. We negotiated, went back twice to the manager, then we did the deal. I enjoyed the process, the manager was fair, and I got the car I wanted at the price I wanted.
Ultimately, that's what we're all looking for, right?

2017All4 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 12:53 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I'll continue to counter with, "This is what I will pay for this car, when you are ready to sell it to me, get in touch". As long as you remove emotion and desire from your mindset you will probably get the car eventually for your price.

With that being said, I had a relative who insisted that CD players where way too expensive when they came out. He waited ten years to buy one and while I paid top dollar at the time, I got 10 years of enjoyment from not having to flip LP's over half way through an album.

Who was smarter?
Outstanding point, IMHO. Like your CD player example, with car deals, in the end we drive the car, not the deal. A sweet deal on a desired car is the best of all possible worlds. But paying a bit more for the pleasure of enjoying the right car, right now, adds value that can only be determined by the person doing the deal. I've paid more, more than once. Never regretted it.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:55 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by jchaperon
Thank you for posting this. Usually I'm under the impression that people won't read long posts because it seems our attention spans have shortened to 140 characters or less, but sometimes, it just takes more.

Agreed; on my last deal, I did just that. I came into the dealer, knew I would be sitting there a while for the process to work out, and let them do their thing. I came with my numbers, knew their numbers, knew how long the car was on their books, and just made a deal to BOTH of our benefits. I traded in a car that wasn't worth anything due to high mileage and some damage, but I got what I wanted on that trade, and, although I told them I would only put so much down, I was prepared to pay more to get the numbers I wanted. We negotiated, went back twice to the manager, then we did the deal. I enjoyed the process, the manager was fair, and I got the car I wanted at the price I wanted.
Ultimately, that's what we're all looking for, right?
You are so right. What you got is as good as it gets.

jchaperon (04-30-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 08:50 PM
Graysojj
2nd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I really find all of the different perspectives interesting in this thread. Working as a MINI sales advisor myself (please don't yell at me lol), from my perspective, my job is to connect with each customer I meet and either A) share in their love of the brand and find the car that meets their wants/needs the most, or B) if they are not familiar with what MINI is all about, to show them how exciting and fun the cars are and hopefully create a genuine enthusiasm for the brand as a result. It will sound like a total cliche, but while we are compensated based on sales, I view my job as more of a consultant/educator, who is there to answer questions and show all of the features and benefits of MINI. Because I really do love the cars, I feel like connecting on that level and creating a positive, long-term relationship and genuinely caring about each customer really makes a great impression, and hopefully that reflects well on me and the business. I find that being upfront, honest, and sometimes admitting you don't know the answer to something right away (I'm still somewhat new) leads to the most success, and it leaves both parties feeling happy that they dealt with a genuine human being who cares about MINI as opposed to a random salesperson. At the end of the day, we are a business and don't want to take a loss on every vehicle of course, but we also want people to enjoy their experience and come back, as it all comes back around.

The following 3 users liked this post by Graysojj:
2017All4 (05-04-2018), bratling (05-03-2018), drhow (05-26-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:51 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Enthusiasts as salespeople, as well as a rock solid enthusiast service dept, are major reasons why I buy each MINI from the same shop, MINI of Marin in northern California. We speak the same language, and of course, less BS.

Two notes to add to the discussion, which are necessarily a mileage may vary thing, relative to repeat buyers and I guess my particular mentality:

1. In my professional life in the building industry (architect) and with the MINI deals, I tend to take the approach that we need to meet somewhere in the middle, between absolute rock bottom best price for me, and the ideal price the dealer would like to get. I'm not particularly interested in driving the price to the bottom at the expense of the dealer. I get that its business. On the other hand, my dealership operates with a certain standard of care: most of them are enthusiasts, most are enjoying what they do, and while every SA wants to make money on the deal as they should, its not a shop where they are directed to hardball. I appreciate strongly that as a repeat customer, we can skip the dance and go straight to a reasonable price and get it sorted quickly. When I first started buying MINIS (2005) I was pitting all the dealers against each other to secure the best deal (having the luxury of multiple shops in range)... by the time my third MINI was to be ordered, this shop had just launched, and after touring and speaking with the management, service and sales, I decided I liked the vibe and started working directly with them. I know what I think is a reasonable discount, I come in with my configuration completely mapped out, and it's easy. I leave some money on the table compared to really turning the screws, but I like that they get something and I get something, not the least of it being a pleasant experience.

2. It always makes sense to check all the promotions, even after an agreed upon price at time of order. When I came in to pick up the car, having already settled on a fair price, I sat down and we not only had an additional sum offered by MINI US as a credit, but my SA found a USAA discount through my insurance check, which knocked another grand off. I walked out with my new JCW cheaper than my previous F56S.

Another great experience...

The following 3 users liked this post by thirdraildesignlab:
2017All4 (05-05-2018), fridayxiii (06-05-2018), Graysojj (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 07:38 PM
Graysojj
2nd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Agree with the above 100%. That's what I really love about where I am as well: all of the sales and service employees are legit MINI enthusiasts and we all love them, and are always happy to help more people become part of the brand.

2017All4 (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 07:14 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
April 2018 MINI sales data

For April, MINI USA reported 3,731 vehicles sold, an increase of 7.2 percent from the 3,481 sold in the same month a year ago. The MINI Countryman continued its strong performance this month, rising 44 percent compared to April 2017 and contributing to a 73.6 percent year-to-date increase over Countryman sales in the first four months of 2017.

MINI Pre-Owned Vehicles

MINI Certified Pre-Owned sold 1,065 vehicles in April, an increase of 0.9 percent from April 2017.

Total MINI Pre-Owned sold 2,492 vehicles in April, a decrease of 15.2 percent from April 2017.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:45 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Over a hundred MINI dealers in the USA, 3731 cars sold is a pretty small number when you think about it. I never really paid attention to how small that number was. And when you consider that some dealers probably sell a way above average number, then others are barely getting cars on the road.

I question the long term survivability of the brand as it is configured, but what do I know?

Just for comparison sake - Toyota 2,434,515 December 2017 USA sales. Fiat 1,738 which was considered a disaster in one report I read, so MINI is less bad.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:25 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
>MINI is less bad<

there's a mantra for you. hahaha. Applicable in many ways, let's be honest.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:05 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Over a hundred MINI dealers in the USA, 3731 cars sold is a pretty small number when you think about it. I never really paid attention to how small that number was. And when you consider that some dealers probably sell a way above average number, then others are barely getting cars on the road.

I question the long term survivability of the brand as it is configured, but what do I know?

Just for comparison sake - Toyota 2,434,515 December 2017 USA sales. Fiat 1,738 which was considered a disaster in one report I read, so MINI is less bad.
As we like to say around our house, "If the glass is only half full, get a smaller glass."

We can also use the MINIUSA sales numbers to understand a bit more about the new configuration options for new MINIs. When used MINI sales are almost equal to new MINI sales (don't forget, dealer gross margins are often better on used car sales), you can bet dealers want to get their hands on nice near-new MINIs in popular colors with popular options because they need those sales as much or more than the new unit sales.

But, no matter how one views all of this, we MINI drivers are a very 'special' group, or a unique niche, or whatever. Let's say we are a rare and discriminating bunch, in a good way. Or, a less bad way??

Old 05-05-2018, 07:36 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
Any incentives cookin' for first week of May, anyone know? It's time to bring the new kid home from the hospital, so to speak...
MINI USA is now showing 0.9% APR plus a bunch of other offers including lease cash, etc.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:46 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
For the month of May, we have 0.9% on the regular Cooper variant of every MINI body style. As the 2019 cars start to fill our lot, we have taken $3,500 off all new 2018 models remaining in stock.

2017All4 (06-01-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 11:53 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Memorial Day Weekend Shopping

Memorial Day weekend is often a very good time to get an aggressive deal on a new car.

It is basically month end, and it is essentially model year end.

The last place folks want to go to spend a holiday weekend is the car dealer.
Thus they will be happy to see you.

If you have locked in on a new or used MINI that's in the dealer's inventory, and you're seriously ready to do a deal, call the dealer, confirm the car you seek is still available, make an appointment, show up at the appointed time, make the lowest offer you can justify.

You might get the deal, and a free Memorial Day weekend hot dog too!

Old 06-01-2018, 02:54 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Lease Residuals on 2019 MINI

Looking at the Special Offers currently advertised on the MINI USA web site, we are seeing residuals on low mileage, 36 month leases coming in at over 60%, even on some JCW models.

Also, for purchases, seeing 1.9% APR for remaining 2018's and 2.9% for 2019's on many models. Up to 72 months. For top tier credit customers.

Some of the offers include cash incentives plus dealer participation. All of the offers are BEFORE any negotiated selling price reductions from MSRP.

It's impossible to know if the deals will get better as the 2019 model year moves into fall and winter. But these are fairly aggressive promotions this early in the new model year.

Anyone shopping for a new MINI, be alert to the national and regional offers, and DO YOUR MATH BEFORE YOU GET INTO A NEGOTIATION WITH A DEALER.

And, REMEMBER THE SEQUENCE. Negotiate the selling price (discount from MSRP) FIRST, before figuring in rebates or other incentives. KEEP ALL THE NUMBERS IN FRONT OF YOU. So when you sit down with the dealer, all of the pieces of the puzzle are clear and all of the moving parts can be tracked.

For example, let's say the MSRP of the 2019 MINI you want is $36,000, including delivery charge, and you manage to get the agreed selling price down to $33,000 plus tax and tags but including any dealer added doc fees. You then insist that the dealer further reduce the cost to you by deducting any incentives from that $33,000 negotiated selling price. Do this whether you're leasing or buying.

You can do all of the crunching in the privacy of your home, figure out the numbers you'd say yes to, and go in and offer those numbers and see what happens. Or you can do your own math and then let the dealer make you an offer -- you can then compare the dealer's offer to the numbers you have decided are good for you.

Also, we can never see the back door "trunk money" factory-to-dealer incentives that may or may not be in play. Often your MA doesn't know what they are or if there are any. The only way to test for them is to start low. If a sales manager has hidden incentive money to close a deal, and you appear to be holding firm on price and you keep expressing a willingness to do a deal today if the numbers are right for you, you'll get any hidden incentives if the sales manager is convinced he/she needs to use whatever is available to close the deal.

Point is, if a great deal is important to you, do the homework, use the fine print in the MINI USA Special Offers section to calculate where you need to be, grind hard, make a killer deal, and motor.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:13 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
May 2018 MINI Sales Data

For May, MINI USA reported 4,226 vehicles sold, an increase of 4.0 percent from the 4,063 sold in the same month a year ago. The MINI Countryman continued its strong performance this month, rising 29.4 percent compared to May 2017 and contributing to a 61.9 percent year-to-date increase over Countryman sales in the first five months of 2017.

MINI Pre-Owned Vehicles
MINI Certified Pre-Owned sold 1,381 vehicles in May, an increase of 36.5 percent from May 2017.
Total MINI Pre-Owned sold 3,009 vehicles in May, an increase of 11.8 percent from May 2017.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:25 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
So again the new models (Countryman, Convertible) lead the pack. And Countryman is "stealing" sales from the Clubman as the preferred big Mini. And 4 doors outsell the 2 doors 2:1 consistently.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:04 PM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
At the moment, we have about 10 remaining 2018 models left in stock, and the rest of our lot is quickly filling up with 2019s. Of those, we have exactly zero Clubman in stock. And that's not because they sell out, it's because we don't keep any around. The Countryman has completely stolen the spotlight.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:14 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Big, huge, heartfelt thanks to all who contributed to this thread! It was incredibly helpful as I went through the new car-buying process for the first time ever.

I ended up ordering a 2019 F56 JCW yesterday, and got $2500 off MSRP. I have two local MINI dealers, so I had a bit of leverage in that regard, but it only took one "serious" visit to each to get a deal I was happy with.

I used the info here to get an idea of the invoice & other numbers, which meant I felt prepared & confident going into the negotiations. I wouldn't say I felt in control per se, but pretty close. I knew where I wanted to be, if it was reasonable, and more of what to expect along the way.

I know I'm happy with the deal struck yesterday. After hearing from MAs & others with selling experience, I didn't intend to grind for every last dollar, but wanted a fair deal that worked for my budget, and hopefully gets the MA his ducats too.

So thanks again for all the knowledge sharing; y'all helped a fella out big-time

Old 06-12-2018, 06:52 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by fridayxiii
Big, huge, heartfelt thanks to all who contributed to this thread! It was incredibly helpful as I went through the new car-buying process for the first time ever.

I ended up ordering a 2019 F56 JCW yesterday...
Congratulations!! You're gonna love your new JCW. Many have added their knowledge and experience to this thread for the benefit of all. Glad you felt confident going through the 'process.' A deal you understand and are happy with is a good deal.

Thanks for letting us know.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:27 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Sounds like a win, saved money and got the deal you wanted. Last time I checked my dealer wouldn't go $2500 on an ordered JCW and the next nearest dealer 4 hours away was pretty much $2000 on any ordered car.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:07 PM
mmtwn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

How much would be a reasonable price for a brand new 2017 Countryman All4 with MSRP of $37,250? It basically has Premium and Sport Package mainly.

Dealer are currently offering this with $5,000 off, while I believe there should be more room for haggle.

Also, how would you compare this with going with a heavily loaded 2018 X1?

Thanks for your kindly suggestions...

Old 06-16-2018, 08:59 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
I'm surprised you've found a new leftover 2017 Countryman. We have only 3 2018 Countryman on our lot and sold our last 2017 late last year. At this point, MINI has cutoff most of the incentives on the 2017s due to them all being gone, so most of that discount is probably coming straight from the dealer. If you haven't already, you can still use the loyalty rebate if you already have a MINI, USAA if you're a member, AARP, but more discount will probably have to come from one of those outside sources as the dealer has taken off as much as they're able to in order to get rid of it. Not knowing where it is, it's hard to say exactly what the situation is, but that's what I would guess.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:42 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by mmtwn
Gents,

How much would be a reasonable price for a brand new 2017 Countryman All4 with MSRP of $37,250? It basically has Premium and Sport Package mainly.

Dealer are currently offering this with $5,000 off, while I believe there should be more room for haggle.

Also, how would you compare this with going with a heavily loaded 2018 X1?

Thanks for your kindly suggestions...
MSRP of 37,250with a 13% discount gives you 5,000 discount. Some people manage to get 10~12% discounts on current models, with rebates and incentives -- some do even better, though this is rare.

We are at the 2019 model year now. 20% off of a 2017 would not be an unreasonable offer to make.

And, of course, discount from MSRP is just the beginning. The final selling price is the out-the-door price.

The 2018 X1 is, technically, almost last year's model. BMW has, at times, been quite aggressive in moving remaining 2018 cars.

And while there are some drive train similarities between the X1 and the Countryman -- you need to drive both cars and decide what sort of driving experience you are seeking, as the cars differ in many subtle but important ways.

Perhaps a simple test would be, once you decide on which car you would prefer to drive day in and day out, to calculate the price where, if offered, you couldn't say no. If the dealer said, "Ill sell you this 37,250 Countryman today for 28,000," would you jump on it? How about 30,000?

Figure out the car you want, figure out your yes point, and make a ready-to-do-the-deal-right-now offer, and make it and see where it goes.

Always remembering, in the end, you drive the car, not the deal. Gotta love the car first, then grind out the right deal.

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:51 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by CarFreak427
I'm surprised you've found a new leftover 2017 Countryman. We have only 3 2018 Countryman on our lot and sold our last 2017 late last year. At this point, MINI has cutoff most of the incentives on the 2017s due to them all being gone, so most of that discount is probably coming straight from the dealer. If you haven't already, you can still use the loyalty rebate if you already have a MINI, USAA if you're a member, AARP, but more discount will probably have to come from one of those outside sources as the dealer has taken off as much as they're able to in order to get rid of it. Not knowing where it is, it's hard to say exactly what the situation is, but that's what I would guess.
VERY useful info. If the dealer has little or no factory support for a 2017, then discounts are all coming out of the dealer's hide, so the question is; does the dealer want the car off the lot and thus is the dealer willing to pay someone to take it? Or, is the dealer willing to sit on it and hold firm?

Also, VERY CAREFUL when buying a 'brand new' car from a dealer that is several model years old. What's the exact mileage? What's the date the dealer took it into inventory? Why's it sitting? Has it been in a deal or two that were unwound? Any bodywork been done? How long has that 'new' battery been sitting in the car? Has the car been sitting on the lot in bad weather for a couple of seasons?

Always, buyer beware.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 How to Buy a New Mini -- The Art of the Deal