F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Kudos to ProClip and NM Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:07 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kudos to ProClip and NM Engineering

Two products for the F56 deserve special recognition: ProClip and NM Engineering Rear Sway Bar and end links.

When I reluctantly sold my 2011 CooperS-manual and ordered a 2016 CooperS-automatic, I had three issues to resolve.

First, where was I going to put my Garmin Nuvi? I had always stuck it to that huge, plastic circle in the center of the dashboard. On the F56, that window is gone. Enter: the ProClip. It attaches quickly, easily, and firmly on the right edge of the new center display, leaving room to see and operate the MINI's controls. The Garmin's suction cup mount attaches and holds firmly. It's an excellent solution in just the right place.

Second, how could I get the 2011's quick, responsive handling in the 2016? I had ordered the 2011 with sport suspension, which was great, if a bit bone-jarring. The 2016 has a gentler ride, but somewhat mushy handling. When I flick the steering wheel, I want my car to go where I aim it, without delay and without body roll. If I have to swerve to avoid an obstacle, I want to recover from the swerve immediately.

The 2016 didn't even offer the sport suspension as an option. Yesterday my mechanic at White Dog Auto in Iowa City installed the NM Engineering 22mm rear sway bar and end links for me. He smiled after his test drive, so I knew before I got into the car that the mission was accomplished The parts, plus installation, cost 25% more than the 2011 sport suspension, but I wound up with the 2016's gentler ride, plus the 2011's almost gokart handling. This is a bargain!

Third, I'm afraid has no solution :( My 2016 gets a bit WORSE fuel economy than my 2011, but has a SMALLER fuel tank. Maybe MINI made this change to be able to advertise increased cargo capacity. I can't think of another reason for shrinking the tank.... The extra(?) cargo capacity is not in any way usable, for me, and the increased frequency of fuel stops is truly irritating. I don't see any cure for this one. First-world problems, I know. But MINI is advertised as a "premium small car," so I feel justified in niggling.

The F56 is solid, quick, fun to drive, and not just another look-alike people mover. With the ProClip and NM sway bar it is even better.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:44 PM
JasonGSD
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldsbear
Two products for the F56 deserve special recognition: ProClip and NM Engineering Rear Sway Bar and end links.

When I reluctantly sold my 2011 CooperS-manual and ordered a 2016 CooperS-automatic, I had three issues to resolve.

First, where was I going to put my Garmin Nuvi? I had always stuck it to that huge, plastic circle in the center of the dashboard. On the F56, that window is gone. Enter: the ProClip. It attaches quickly, easily, and firmly on the right edge of the new center display, leaving room to see and operate the MINI's controls. The Garmin's suction cup mount attaches and holds firmly. It's an excellent solution in just the right place.

Second, how could I get the 2011's quick, responsive handling in the 2016? I had ordered the 2011 with sport suspension, which was great, if a bit bone-jarring. The 2016 has a gentler ride, but somewhat mushy handling. When I flick the steering wheel, I want my car to go where I aim it, without delay and without body roll. If I have to swerve to avoid an obstacle, I want to recover from the swerve immediately.

The 2016 didn't even offer the sport suspension as an option. Yesterday my mechanic at White Dog Auto in Iowa City installed the NM Engineering 22mm rear sway bar and end links for me. He smiled after his test drive, so I knew before I got into the car that the mission was accomplished The parts, plus installation, cost 25% more than the 2011 sport suspension, but I wound up with the 2016's gentler ride, plus the 2011's almost gokart handling. This is a bargain!

Third, I'm afraid has no solution :( My 2016 gets a bit WORSE fuel economy than my 2011, but has a SMALLER fuel tank. Maybe MINI made this change to be able to advertise increased cargo capacity. I can't think of another reason for shrinking the tank.... The extra(?) cargo capacity is not in any way usable, for me, and the increased frequency of fuel stops is truly irritating. I don't see any cure for this one. First-world problems, I know. But MINI is advertised as a "premium small car," so I feel justified in niggling.

The F56 is solid, quick, fun to drive, and not just another look-alike people mover. With the ProClip and NM sway bar it is even better.
Glad to hear you liked the NM Sway Bar. Do you feel freeway and city driving would benefit greatly from it? I'm on the fence because I don't have the ability to take the car out often on open roads.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:52 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JasonGSD
Glad to hear you liked the NM Sway Bar. Do you feel freeway and city driving would benefit greatly from it? I'm on the fence because I don't have the ability to take the car out often on open roads.
There are very few twisty roads around here, so most of my use will be the kinds you mentioned. Incident avoidance on freeways and just zipping around town would both be better with this thicker-than-stock sway bar. For me it is important to be able to confidently dodge a 2 x 4, a deer, or a bad pothole. I didn't feel that kind of confidence -- or fun, either -- with the stock suspension.

Last edited by oldsbear; 01-15-2016 at 07:48 PM.