F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Factory Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Pedro99
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Paint

Are MINI's fully cured when they leave the factory ?
Is it better to wait before applying wax/sealer/clear bra ?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Richard M Nixon
2nd Gear
I recall reading that paint takes 30 days to dry and painting is done on the second to last day at the factory, so by the time your MINI arrives, maybe a week is needed to ensure it has had all the time it needs.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I don't believe that a factory paint job is at all similar to a body shop respray.
I see all sorts of time frames quoted, but those always seem to be respray related. Also your car is painted and then within a few days it is on a ship in the corrosive salt air environment. I'd think that it is more important to make sure the car is properly washed and prepared for whatever you do to it.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Slilock
1st Gear
My clear bra cracked the lower part of my front bumper. The dealer paid to have it resprayed and it looks better than new. I'm not impressed with the factory Mini paint job.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:09 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Slilock
My clear bra cracked the lower part of my front bumper. The dealer paid to have it resprayed and it looks better than new. I'm not impressed with the factory Mini paint job.
That's not good to hear. I always thought the European paint jobs were first rate. I know guys complain about the Corvette paint being "orange peeled", but rarely do I hear any negatives on the Euro-paints.

The old adage of waiting 30 days for your new car paint to cure is gone. New paints cure and can tax wax almost immediately. Most certainly the delays in shipping would eliminate any wait on your end if you have any concerns.

Certain car manufacturers discourage the use of some sealers and space age bonders on their cars. Many say the clear coat used during their paint process is all that is necessary to protect the car's finish. Just wash the car and dry with a soft towel

Still, many guys use clay bars and all types of products to get a "show quality" paint finishes.

I have been using good quality Carnauba waxes on my cars for years with excellent results. Meguires and Mothers being my go-to products w/ a bit of a "no silicone" based tire dressing to add the finishing touch (applied, not sprayed).

Just my perspective