F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 2015 Build Week 05 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:46 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
Ha yep. I've never found anyone really up to date. Today, for example MINI USA by phone told me the car was still on a ship. My local dealer told me similar. I think they probably access similar databases. I've often wondered how the dealer has better info. My assumption was that they rely on the ship records (which aren't up to date) and info from the VDC.

Anyway, my guess is it's still on the dock or already at VDC but records lag.

Why do either did tell me that a car he ordered on 23 February was already in the VDC which you know is great for them but not so great for me. Kind of funny I guess.
OL says mine is on the ship, ASK MINI says it's waiting for a ship at port, and my dealer says it's off the ship, but doesn't know anything from then until it boards a truck...

Apparently though, my MA had another customer's MINI on the same boat and it is already on a truck... which only furthers my theory I must have been in the back of the boat...

Old 03-10-2015, 05:32 PM
indierocke
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine was delivered to the dealership this afternoon! I'll be picking it up tomorrow and post some proper photos of it in the F56 photo thread soon when the sun decides to come out, but for now here are a few quick snaps my MA took for me this afternoon.

2015 Build Week 05 Thread-wodb9fj.jpg

2015 Build Week 05 Thread-hfqtmlr.jpg

2015 Build Week 05 Thread-iv6oi4s.jpg

It's finally starting to transition from an abstract idea to the fact that tomorrow at this time it will be "real" and I'll be driving around in it

Hope all of you guys get yours delivered real soon! It's been a pleasure posting in here on these threads with everyone and sharing in this journey together with all of you. Even after I get it I plan to still be creeping and posting on NAM so I can stay caught up on all the MINI happenings. Thanks again too to everyone who has answered my questions and gave me advice and suggestions. You've all kept my mind occupied and kept me from going crazy during the build process wait

This sure is a great little community on here and its been a privilege to participate some in the threads.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:18 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Congrats!! Post some pics when you pick it up!

And don't worry, the journey isn't over yet....

There's performance mods, ESYS programming, accessories...

Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 PM
KKelly
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indierocke
Mine was delivered to the dealership this afternoon! I'll be picking it up tomorrow and post some proper photos of it in the F56 photo thread soon when the sun decides to come out, but for now here are a few quick snaps my MA took for me this afternoon.

It's finally starting to transition from an abstract idea to the fact that tomorrow at this time it will be "real" and I'll be driving around in it

Hope all of you guys get yours delivered real soon! It's been a pleasure posting in here on these threads with everyone and sharing in this journey together with all of you. Even after I get it I plan to still be creeping and posting on NAM so I can stay caught up on all the MINI happenings. Thanks again too to everyone who has answered my questions and gave me advice and suggestions. You've all kept my mind occupied and kept me from going crazy during the build process wait

This sure is a great little community on here and its been a privilege to participate some in the threads.
That's so awesome--you've gotten these pictures already and it looks great! I'm going to text my MA first thing to see if mine has arrived as well... Best of luck and will be looking out for updates!

Old 03-11-2015, 12:18 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome man!

Old 03-12-2015, 06:56 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Woot! I have made it through the VDC and my car is en route to Seattle!

ETA is Sunday so I should hopefully be able to drive it home Tuesday, though they said they'll try for Monday.

SO CLOSE!!!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Minicoopers71
1st Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero

ETA is Sunday so I should hopefully be able to drive it home Tuesday, though they said they'll try for Monday.

SO CLOSE!!!
Congrats. mine's at the VDC but my MA is on vacation until the last week of the month so I have a feeling it somehow won't get to the dealership until he get's back

Old 03-13-2015, 12:39 AM
indierocke
2nd Gear
Thanks Sirius, KKelly, and Thirdrail for the congrats! I picked it up Wednesday afternoon and I have to say the wait was definitely worth it. Here is a quick snap I took at pickup, but when it gets nice again I'll try and take some really good ones on a weekend or something.

2015 Build Week 05 Thread-kmbxzh9.jpg

Here are some of my initial impressions after the first 24 hours or so:

Exhaust note in sport mode is amazing and smile inducing!

Heads Up Display is definitely worth it in my opinion. My favorite part of it is being able to scroll through songs using the steering wheel controls and seeing them cycle on the HUD. Same thing for making Bluetooth calls using voice activation, you can see it all in the HUD and not have to take your eyes off the road. If you watch some YT videos the output of the text and speed look small in video, but in real life it is much larger and nicely rendered on the display.

There are LED lights in the door handles that activate when using comfort access at night which is pretty cool. The front LED lights and rear taillights look fantastic at night too and that is high praise coming from an Audi because I always thought Audi had the best light designs out there. The ones on the MCS are really impressive though and very illuminating. The light color is super white and in some instances you can sort of see a "prism effect" on the periphery of the beam pattern in the distance.

In the onboard computer display below the speedo when getting in the car a graphic of a MINI will pop up and it will "wink" at you (kinda cool).

The side bolstering in the seats is awesome, really holds you in nice and snug in the twist-ies.

MINI Connected/iDrive is a lot better and more robust than Audi's MMI system. The only thing Audi might do better is Google Online Destination Search/Google Earth rendering via the dedicated SIM card in those plus hotspot, but when it comes to Media and Apps compatibility like Pandora/Spotify the MINI is a lot better. Album art looks fantastic with iPhone in Bluetooth mode. Also if I set the tone settings in External Devices it will use those same settings for Sat Radio, FM, etc. In my old Q5 there were different sound profiles for CD, SAT, Media, etc, so you would have to set them up individually in each place. The Harmon Kardon system sounds really, really good. I was worried it wouldn't be as good as the Bang & Olufsen I had before, but that's not the case at all.

The camera that reads speed limit signs and displays them in the HUD was really good and I have only noticed once where it didn't pickup a speed limit sign when passing it.

Haven't had a chance to try out active cruise control yet, but driving home in stop and go traffic yesterday I noticed the frontal collision alert system give me a heads up visual pre warning notification that traffic was slowing when approaching at full speed before reaching the slow down point. I'm assuming if it didn't think I was slowing down fast enough it would give an audible warning afterwards and then probably might auto brake if I didn't slow down after a certain point (don't wanna be testing that one out).

The stitching and leather on the JCW steering wheel feels awesome.

The windows will go down slightly when opening the doors and then go back up again when closed (kinda neat, I guess to give it a better seal acoustically...maybe)

Oh and just FYI when turning off the car you have to hit the switch twice and on the second time you want to make sure your foot is off the brake. First time turns the engine off and second time without brake turns off the interior electronics (previous MINI owners may already know this, but in my case I didn't. My old car would automatically turn off the interior electronics after the engine was turned off and an exterior door was opened.)

The accelerator pedal and the brake pedal seem to be a little closer maybe than the Q5. I had on pair of wider boots when I went to pick it up and my first stop 5 minutes later after getting it was at a shoe store to buy a pair of new Nike trainers to drive home in My boot felt like it was hitting the right corner of the brake pedal sometimes when accelerating so maybe keep that it mind if you wear boots sometimes that might be a little bigger or wider. Once I put the Nike's on all was good!!!

Also when you first program all of your settings and presets try to only have one key in the vehicle when you do it. I had both of mine in there cause I had just got it while I was doing it and then put one of the keys up when I got home. Got back in it later and noticed none of my settings had saved. What happened was all of the settings saved to the other key which was an easy fix cause I just swapped them, but just FYI if that happens to you too.

All in all I'm really thrilled with it. It handles brilliantly, is a blast to drive, and the build quality/tech options are outstanding and well rounded. Everyone that has rode in it with me or checked it out since I got it seems to have been genuinely really impressed. People get excited about it. Hadn't had any lukewarm reactions yet, not that I would care anyways. (As long as I like it that's all that matters!)

Seriously though, I think I have heard the word "WOW" more times in the last 24 hours from other people than I have in my whole life.

Can't wait for you guys to all get yours so you can throw it into sport mode and "Let's Motor Hard"

Yes, indeed!

Old 03-13-2015, 06:04 AM
KKelly
1st Gear
My Mini is now finally listed as "at the dealer"!!! Will pick up saturday afternoon... pictures soon.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:58 AM
indierocke
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KKelly
My Mini is now finally listed as "at the dealer"!!! Will pick up saturday afternoon... pictures soon.
AWESOME NEWS

Just one more day... hopefully it will go by fast!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:38 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Wow!
Crossing fingers they just don't have good Intel on mine. Didn't I come into port ahead of you??

Old 03-13-2015, 11:11 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
On the upside, at least they say I'm in the VDC now... ha

Old 03-13-2015, 01:31 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by indierocke

The camera that reads speed limit signs and displays them in the HUD was really good and I have only noticed once where it didn't pickup a speed limit sign when passing it.

Haven't had a chance to try out active cruise control yet, but driving home in stop and go traffic yesterday I noticed the frontal collision alert system give me a heads up visual pre warning notification that traffic was slowing when approaching at full speed before reaching the slow down point. I'm assuming if it didn't think I was slowing down fast enough it would give an audible warning afterwards and then probably might auto brake if I didn't slow down after a certain point (don't wanna be testing that one out).

Seriously though, I think I have heard the word "WOW" more times in the last 24 hours from other people than I have in my whole life.

Can't wait for you guys to all get yours so you can throw it into sport mode and "Let's Motor Hard"

Yes, indeed!
Nice car. I think you're the first person who got the thingy that reads signs and the active cruise control. For some reason I thought maybe only Europeans got that, but that could have been for the 2014 models. That might be a cool feature. Have you tried the adjustable dampers yet? If you're like many, you leave 'em at the stiffest setting.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:04 PM
clintmeister
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted the smart city braking and active cruise control but the entire setup was ridiculously expensive and I didn't see the point in parallel parking or a back up camera in a MINI! but the package and features sound pretty damn cool!!

Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
I just read indie's whole breakdown. Great stuff! I don't even remember front end sensors. Is that just with active cruise?

Old 03-13-2015, 03:58 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
I just read indie's whole breakdown. Great stuff! I don't even remember front end sensors. Is that just with active cruise?
Front sensors come with the Park Assist package

EDIT: Sorry, I think his post was referring to the camera and the collision warnings which are part of the Driver Assist package

Last edited by siriuszero; 03-13-2015 at 04:00 PM. Reason: me not read good
Old 03-13-2015, 04:29 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
ah!
I don't think I ordered a drivers assist package.
I've lost track...!

Old 03-13-2015, 06:18 PM
KKelly
1st Gear
Ok here's the picture my MA sent me of my Mini at the dealership....

Attached Thumbnails 2015 Build Week 05 Thread-image.jpg  
Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 PM
indierocke
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Nice car. I think you're the first person who got the thingy that reads signs and the active cruise control. For some reason I thought maybe only Europeans got that, but that could have been for the 2014 models. That might be a cool feature. Have you tried the adjustable dampers yet? If you're like many, you leave 'em at the stiffest setting.
I actually found out about it on this forum. I was reading the owner's manual the evening after placing my order and in the intelligent safety section it made reference to collision warning with city braking function and pedestrian warning with city braking function. I went googling and saw where a user here becky1711 had it added to her build. It is option code 5AS and it is not in the online configurator on the MINIUSA site at this time, but it is an option in the dealer ordering guide.

2015 Build Week 05 Thread-jfuzrhi.png

After reading more about it and finding out it also added camera based cruise control, automatic high beam assistant, and road sign detection I decided to go for it and emailed my MA to see if I could still add it. He added it for me the next day and the day after that it went into production at the plant so I kind of got lucky in getting it.

Your right though I don't think a lot of people know about it for availability in the US. I don't know why they don't advertise it on MINIUSA and include it in the configurator. My MA didn't until I asked about it and he found it in the ordering guide. He said my car was the first one they have ever ordered with it.

I work in IT for an insurance agency so I like tech and stay up to date on insurance stuff too. The majority of accidents that we get claims on are low speed ones like your normal fender benders and in parking lots where people are backing out of spaces and fail to yield to drivers traveling down the row who have right of way and might not be able to stop in time if the other vehicle backs out abruptly. Before deciding on MINI I looked at a lot of different cars online including Volvo's. I really like the safety aspects Volvo brings to their vehicles, one of which being City Safety so when I saw this available for the MINI I jumped on it.

Haven't had a chance to play with the Dynamic Dampers yet, but I might get to this weekend. So far I'm really liking the sport mode settings out of the box so I probably won't change them up.

Originally Posted by clintmeister
I wanted the smart city braking and active cruise control but the entire setup was ridiculously expensive and I didn't see the point in parallel parking or a back up camera in a MINI! but the package and features sound pretty damn cool!!
Yeah, I agree with you there that it is expensive especially since you have to bundle in a lot of the other stuff to be able to add it. The way I tried to "rationalize" it to myself was that instead of spending the extra money for the lounge leather seats or cross punch leather seats I stuck with the Leatherette Sport Seats and used that savings there to go towards it. This was my first time custom ordering a new vehicle so I might have got a little carried away with it

But I figured you're only young once and since I'm still a hair under 30 with no family unit of my own I figured now is the time to go ***** out while I can still afford it so I did.

Originally Posted by siriuszero
Front sensors come with the Park Assist package

EDIT: Sorry, I think his post was referring to the camera and the collision warnings which are part of the Driver Assist package
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right... front sensors come with Park Assist and the camera based stuff comes with Active Driving Assistant, but I think ADA uses some of the park assistant sensors because it is an requirement of adding it as an option.

Originally Posted by KKelly
Ok here's the picture my MA sent me of my Mini at the dealership....
Nice ride KKelly!!!! I love the black cosmo wheels. I think they just look great with about any color, but I might be a little biased. You my friend have excellent taste if I do say so myself!

Old 03-14-2015, 09:15 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Indie: what do you estimate that option cost you? Too late for me but I'm helping two friends buy MINIs who may be interested.

Hey my MA just called: my MINI arrived! I was right about the data just being behind. Sweet! Most likely picking it up Monday.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:53 AM
indierocke
2nd Gear
Indie: what do you estimate that option cost you? Too late for me but I'm helping two friends buy MINIs who may be interested.

Hey my MA just called: my MINI arrived! I was right about the data just being behind. Sweet! Most likely picking it up Monday.
Active Driving Assistant itself is $1,000.00, but the rub is that it requires the following packages in order to get it:

Park Assistant Package: $1,000.00
Fully Loaded: $4,500.00
Wired Upgrade: $850.00

So in total it would cost $7,350.00

However for me I always planned on getting Fully Loaded and Wired anyways so in my mind it cost me $2,000.00

If you look at other BMW products such as say a 2 Series Coupe you'll see the same pattern (i.e Driver Assistance Plus costs $700, but requires Driver Assistance Package $950, and Technology Package $2,150)

2015 Build Week 05 Thread-9tevgxe.png

That $3,800 sounds a lot cheaper on the 2 Series, but when you factor in that its base MSRP is $33,900 on a 228i xDrive vs. $24,100 on a Cooper S that gap goes away.

I guess it would just depend on if the required packages were something they already planned on getting anyways vs. if they would have to add them just to get ADA to see if it would be a good value or not for them.

That's great news on your MINI's arrival at the dealership

Won't be long now! You'll have to take a quick snap when you get it so we can all check it out. The hard part will just be taking the time to stop motoring and upload it later

Old 03-14-2015, 11:37 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
I'm same as you: it would have been a $2k upcharge.

I'll post pics when I get it, and again after I lower it...

Old 03-14-2015, 11:38 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear

YAY!

Looks like I may be last here...my dealer had a truck come today, but mine wasn't on it. Tomorrow!

Old 03-14-2015, 06:07 PM
indierocke
2nd Gear
So I went out driving today since its the weekend and I didn't have to work. Decided to go run some errands and do some motoring. Well on my way home I got behind a minivan going 45 in 55 and decided to pass them when the next passing lane became available as one normally does. Well, I happen to have been in sport mode and when I gave my signal and gave it a little gas to go around this happened halfway through my attempt to pass...

2015 Build Week 05 Thread-y49ub0k.jpg

To add insult to injury after I barely was able to get around them and I had to pull over cause it kinda scared me a bit to be honest. The power cut out significantly about halfway through it.

2015 Build Week 05 Thread-pascsbv.jpg

So the people in the minivan probably laughed because I ended up following behind them home after all. This happened with around 314 miles on the odometer and about 75 hours into ownership :(

Not gonna lie, kind of soul crushed right now. I just hope it isn't anything like what VYPUR had happen with his MCS where it was in the shop for 40+ days. I'll email my MA about it Monday and see what happens. Sorry to be a Debbie downer on the thread, but I guess be careful when you pass after you get it for awhile. I'm just kind of in shock to be honest that it happened and a little embarrassed too, because I've been talking it up to my buddies about how great it is so far and this notwithstanding it is great. But now I guess we will see how the service side of things goes and I'll have to eat a little humble pie from my buds.

Wish me luck, and for now I am going to pour me a drink and do something else to take my mind off of it.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:12 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
FFFFFFUUUUUUUU.....(dge)

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully it's something easily fixed - could just be a software thing...

Fingers are crossed for you! That has to suck.. :(

Quick Reply: F55/F56 2015 Build Week 05 Thread