F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Anyone Get Tinting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:22 PM
14R55S
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xpert put on my clear bra. I will likely use them for tint.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
xpel for clearbra, went with llumar for window tint

Old 01-24-2015, 12:40 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fenderpicks
Go to xpert tint by 59 and beltway 8 kind of
Originally Posted by seabrooktx
I also used Xpert Tint. Turns out Momentum Mini gets their cars tinted there. I was over there checking the tint place out one day when one of the Mini sales guys came in. I had talked to this particular sales guy during the launch event and he was saying how they use the ceramic tint, but did not tell me where they had it done. I bought my MCS from Clear Lake, but did not want the tint they offered.

$500 for the entire job.
Originally Posted by 14R55S
Xpert put on my clear bra. I will likely use them for tint.
I also live in the Clear Lake area and used eXpert Tint on two non-Minis for both tint and clear bra. The owner lives near me actually. My first clear bra was not up to the Texas sun and heat and deteriorated. He came to my house, drove my car to his shop, and returned it with a new clear bra. That one didn't last either, but that was the clear bra's fault. His name is Sonny and if you go to the Houston Auto Show this weekend you will likely see him there. His shop was known for offering the leading edge products. He used to have a Houston exclusive on HO tint and that is why I went there initially. BTW the HO ceramic tint on my 8+ year old car is like the day it was installed.

We used Executive Tint on Hillcroft for the Mini. We also used them on a previous Civic. We went with them on the Mini because they offered the 3M Crystalline, but at the last minute my wife chose their house brand ceramic tint which was a better color match to the black on the car. There was a bubble on the drivers side and I took it back and they replaced it quickly. On the Civic we used a cheap tint that after 8 years had some wrinkling. They replaced that as well, no questions asked.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:45 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TX1911fan
How do you talk the inspection guys into using Sticker Shield? I can't even get them to let me put in the sticker. They always say they have to do it, so it ends up crooked and they never clean all the old adhesive off properly.
Luckily I'll never have an inspection sticker again on the car since TX is doing away with it. But others have just asked the inspection shop (before the inspection) to let them put the sticker on while they watch. Just bring the Sticker Shield with you. Or they can do it. If they don't agree just go somewhere else. The place I take my cars would easily let me do this. On the Mini they already had the sticker on the car when we went to pick it up. The dealer managed to remove it, probably with a little help from a heat gun, without it falling apart. I put it on the Sticker Shield and put it back on the car. Then when we went to the tint shop to get it tinted, I just pealed it off and put it back on after the tint.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:26 AM
14R55S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I also live in the Clear Lake area and used eXpert Tint on two non-Minis for both tint and clear bra. The owner lives near me actually. My first clear bra was not up to the Texas sun and heat and deteriorated. He came to my house, drove my car to his shop, and returned it with a new clear bra. That one didn't last either, but that was the clear bra's fault. His name is Sonny and if you go to the Houston Auto Show this weekend you will likely see him there. His shop was known for offering the leading edge products. He used to have a Houston exclusive on HO tint and that is why I went there initially. BTW the HO ceramic tint on my 8+ year old car is like the day it was installed.

We used Executive Tint on Hillcroft for the Mini. We also used them on a previous Civic. We went with them on the Mini because they offered the 3M Crystalline, but at the last minute my wife chose their house brand ceramic tint which was a better color match to the black on the car. There was a bubble on the drivers side and I took it back and they replaced it quickly. On the Civic we used a cheap tint that after 8 years had some wrinkling. They replaced that as well, no questions asked.
Interesting that the clear bra didn't hold up. Were the cars garaged?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:06 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Houston area peeps: Who do you recommend for tint? I have used Pablo Blue in Webster on my last two cars. He does great work but your car might smell like cigarette smoke.
I used to live in the Conroe area, before I escaped to Arkansas. I used the person MOTW uses--name's Gary--and he works on all kinds of cars. Besides my first MINI, I also had my Bimmer's windows done by him. He uses the dealer's facility, even if not a MINI. I'm sure they could give you his number.

That's probably too far for you, but I thought I'd mention it.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Interesting that the clear bra didn't hold up. Were the cars garaged?
It was garaged at home but sat outside at work. Probably had more to do with the lousy material made by VentureTape. Although the parts on the bumper cover held up better.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:59 PM
14R55S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
It was garaged at home but sat outside at work. Probably had more to do with the lousy material made by VentureTape. Although the parts on the bumper cover held up better.
I have Xpel with a 10 year warranty. It was rather expensive so I hope it lasts.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:10 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
I have Xpel with a 10 year warranty. It was rather expensive so I hope it lasts.
Mine was replaced under warranty around year 3. Then that one suffered the same fate about 3 years later.. maybe a little sooner. I just removed it and the car looks a lot better. It was painful to remove it.

If it is going to fail it will be a lot sooner than 10 years. But read the fine print, how many times will they replace it?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:03 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anotherminiinthegarage
Went with 3M Crystalline Automotive Films. Expensive, but wanted the best.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive-Films/
I went the same route. I think I paid $625. for the whole car. They did a great job. I love the tint. Just the right darkness and it helps cut down heat. The windshield strip really helps when you're driving into the sun. Sides, rear and an upper strip on the windshield (per state law). The white blob you see on the passenger window is a reflection of a building.

Last edited by CobraBob; 01-25-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:05 PM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that is a very clean looking car, cobra, thanks for the post! I'm intending to get some tint this winter. How many people have tinted their entire front windshield with 5%?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:47 PM
kyleshelton
1st Gear
Question about tinting...

I just had my tinting done via the dealer (farmed out to local tint shop). I have a few small bubbles in each of the three windows. I will admit they are minor, but how perfect should I expect the tint to be applied?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:53 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kyleshelton

I just had my tinting done via the dealer (farmed out to local tint shop). I have a few small bubbles in each of the three windows. I will admit they are minor, but how perfect should I expect the tint to be applied?
Should be perfect... Takes 72 hours for all bubbles to go away.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:21 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear

I'm surprised your tint guy didn't tell you that the bubbles take a couple of days to go away. This is a case where the more sun, the better. Don't worry about it--and don't try to pop them!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 AM
kyleshelton
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. Luckily looks like we will have several days of 70s and sun, so I will keep an eye on them.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:04 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Thanks for the info. Luckily looks like we will have several days of 70s and sun, so I will keep an eye on them.
Don't forget--don't put down the windows for a couple of days!

Old 02-07-2015, 03:39 PM
craigsix
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had mine done at baron bmw for $224 when i got my car last week. had the 20 3m all around. looks killer with my vocanic orange and black roof.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:23 PM
TheUPSman
1st Gear
Used some of my $750 Mini credit on tint and it was $150. Wrapped all the way around. Limo on the back and back sides and 35% on the front sides. It's illegal in CA for the front sides to be tinted but thankfully i carry a note from my wifes doctor that says she has light sensitivity and needs the front windows tinted.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheUPSman
It's illegal in CA for the front sides to be tinted but thankfully i carry a note from my wifes doctor that says she has light sensitivity and needs the front windows tinted.

Yeah, I'm in CA too and my heavy tint all around is totally illegal here.
So is my lack of a front plate. Ah well, I'm such a rebel.

Here's a pic of my car, and there was even a near limo tint on the front windshield covering the top portion, that I removed after it got annoying.

That's how I bought my car when it was used.
It was already tinted, lowered, custom painted, etc.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:34 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Just had my wife's clubman done. 20% on sides and back 50% on the front. 50% is legal in CA. Will be getting a band of 35% across the upper windshield and maybe the sunroofs later. I have no vision problem on front window. I think the main reason for not allowing dark tint on the front is Officer safety. They won't stop you for the dark tinting but if you are stopped for another reason they you will most likely get ticket for tinting. Now some LE might stop for the tint that is at there discretion. I will try to get picture up of the Clubbie it really change the looks wife loves it and she doesn't realize the fronts were done. Now for Hyper Black Rota RB's and painting the black fender trim.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails Anyone Get Tinting?-image.jpg  

Last edited by TBRoye; 02-10-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:50 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheUPSman
Used some of my $750 Mini credit on tint and it was $150. Wrapped all the way around. Limo on the back and back sides and 35% on the front sides. It's illegal in CA for the front sides to be tinted but thankfully i carry a note from my wifes doctor that says she has light sensitivity and needs the front windows tinted.
Such a great look, that color
What's this credit you speak of? Some sort of promotion at the time...

Old 02-10-2015, 11:03 PM
TheUPSman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
Such a great look, that color
What's this credit you speak of? Some sort of promotion at the time...
I guess so yes. When i purchased my F56 it came with $750 Mini bucks or something to that effect. You can only use it at the dealership the car was purchased and can be used on the car or merch. I used mine on all weather floor mats, tint , orange wheel caps, sport antenna and a few other things.

My wife got a grand from BMW as part of her lemon settlement. Tint,custom stripes, roof rack etc etc.