F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 question about auto light function with LED

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:01 PM
jeri534
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about auto light function with LED

I have a 15 with auto headlights with LED headlamps. I have a question for those of you who have the same setup.

When you're in auto and the low beam lights are on, is the parking lamp on also (the light directly above the fog LED)?

When you're in auto and the lights are on, which lamp in your instrument cluster is shown on? Mine shows the green light lamp thats on the left side in the tachometer. I've never seen the "auto light" icon lit up.

Is it normal for the parking lamps to be on the same time the low beams are on in auto mode?

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2015, 08:13 PM
jeri534
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay it looks like the "auto light" icon on the cluster is for auto high beam assistance.

So when the headlights are on auto, and the low beams are on, is that left lamp supposed to be on? And are the parking lights supposed be on at the same time?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:46 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When the headlight *** is on Auto, when it's bright, I don't see anything related to the light in my dash. I see the yellow "lights-on" indicator in the tachometer when it is dark enough that the headlights are turned on.

Not sure about parking lights though. I just leave them on Auto all the time, and I programmed it to light the tail lights too with DRL. There are times you really want the tail lights on during the day, for example, when the sun is in front and the rear car can't see you well because the sun, or in a foggy bright day.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:15 AM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my headlights are on, the parking lamp is on too. If I turn on the fog lights, then both lamps are lit, plus the headlights. I've never had the little A indicator light come on in my speedo. The auto lights in the Tach lights up when it gets dark and my headlights come on.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 AM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hp79
When the headlight *** is on Auto, when it's bright, I don't see anything related to the light in my dash. I see the yellow "lights-on" indicator in the tachometer when it is dark enough that the headlights are turned on.

Not sure about parking lights though. I just leave them on Auto all the time, and I programmed it to light the tail lights too with DRL. There are times you really want the tail lights on during the day, for example, when the sun is in front and the rear car can't see you well because the sun, or in a foggy bright day.
The "bug" lights (MINI's term for the small clearance/parking light located at the top section of the same housing as the fog lamps (if equipped) will always be illuminated with the headlamps in all US applications (halogen headlamps and LED headlamps). In US vehicles with halogen headlamps, those same lights act as the DRLs (in brighter form) and then dim to the parking light level when the headlamps are turned on.

When the headlamps are on, the green icon in the tach that looks like a bow tie with eyelashes should be illuminated to let you know the headlamps are on. It will be illuminated if you manually select the parking lamps as well.

I think am going to have the dealer program the rear LEDs on my car to be on with the DRLs as well. It is a good safety feature. I need to look at the programming codes to see what I else I may want to have them change.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:29 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIwuff
The "bug" lights (MINI's term for the small clearance/parking light located at the top section of the same housing as the fog lamps (if equipped) will always be illuminated with the headlamps in all US applications (halogen headlamps and LED headlamps). In US vehicles with halogen headlamps, those same lights act as the DRLs (in brighter form) and then dim to the parking light level when the headlamps are turned on.

When the headlamps are on, the green icon in the tach that looks like a bow tie with eyelashes should be illuminated to let you know the headlamps are on. It will be illuminated if you manually select the parking lamps as well.

I think am going to have the dealer program the rear LEDs on my car to be on with the DRLs as well. It is a good safety feature. I need to look at the programming codes to see what I else I may want to have them change.
Does the dealers know about programming? I wish I had rear fog lights so I can use that as DRL.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:34 AM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Does the dealers know about programming? I wish I had rear fog lights so I can use that as DRL.
I am going to run it by them. My friend is a shop foreman where I got my MINI.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:42 AM
hp79
4th Gear
I am going to run it by them. My friend is a shop foreman where I got my MINI.
I didn't know that. Maybe I'm being too skeptical at the dealers.

Do they charge you like hourly rate for that? If you are just doing simple coding, then why don't you just do it yourself? The ODB-ENET device only costs like $5 shipped from China, and you probably have a laptop already.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:48 AM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do they charge you like hourly rate for that? If you are just doing simple coding, then why don't you just do it yourself? The ODB-ENET device only costs like $5 shipped from China, and you probably have a laptop already.
I've got the cable but I'm trying to work up the courage to start coding myself. I did a little with my Triumph motorcycle but am just worried about working on the Mini for some reason.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:06 PM
MINIwuff
4th Gear

They would not charge me. I asked him a bit ago and he said that for my VIN there were not may changeable options. He was asking me if this was related to European coding, because like BMW, they are not given access for things like different lighting coding (rear fogs, etc.). I will need to look into this ODB-ENET device and coding. I am not sure what else can be modified, but I wouldn't mind having the rear DRLs, or the rear fogs and maybe "convenience close" if it's available.

I do have a laptop (just Apple here), so if it is not too difficult, I would spend the $5.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TX1911fan
I've got the cable but I'm trying to work up the courage to start coding myself. I did a little with my Triumph motorcycle but am just worried about working on the Mini for some reason.
Just make sure you don't press something that's not on the tutorials, and I think it's pretty worry-free. Oh, and don't take too much time (10 minutes+) with the ignition-on mode. It'll drain your car battery pretty quick.

They would not charge me. I asked him a bit ago and he said that for my VIN there were not may changeable options. He was asking me if this was related to European coding, because like BMW, they are not given access for things like different lighting coding (rear fogs, etc.). I will need to look into this ODB-ENET device and coding. I am not sure what else can be modified, but I wouldn't mind having the rear DRLs, or the rear fogs and maybe "convenience close" if it's available.

I do have a laptop (just Apple here), so if it is not too difficult, I would spend the $5.
I have a Apple too. I use Parallels to run Windows virtual machine for coding. I tried using Bootcamp, but the touchpad was too awful to get used to in Windows.

You are right, there aren't much things to do in coding, especially on the base model. All I did was disable automatic airconditioner turning on with AutoClimate, door handle LED lights coming on when reversing, disable empty line showing in speedo when pressing BC, and tail lights ON with daytime running lights.