F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 2014 Mini Cooper First Drive Review!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:44 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gentlefury
I can count without the use of any hands the amount of times I've used the CD player.
I DO have the use of my hands and I still don't need them to count how many times a CD has been played in my MINI.....never.

I like this move......CD's are obsolete.

Now, if they could find a way to put a turntable in there

Old 02-25-2014, 10:51 PM
RonG
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smaller is better

Originally Posted by matthew-w
You're not alone.

I passed up the MINI in 2002 after seeing how much larger it was than the classic Mini. I caved in on a 2006 and love it, but could happily live in a _smaller_ MINI.

Speaking of which, I heard someone on White Roof Radio #499 32:05 mention that the forthcoming Countryman refresh will be built on a larger platform. The next Clubman is also larger. So is the F56, the four-door Hatchback, etc.

Alas, across the board MINI is going in the wrong direction for me.
Yup. If Mini ever wants to sell me another Mini. They will have to make it smaller, and get rid of the cartoonish center console. They have strayed to far from their roots.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:27 AM
matthew-w
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RonG
They have strayed to far from their roots.
Correctly or incorrectly, I keep hammering away at this very idea.

It's not meant as a condemnation of very talented and dedicated people at MINI who have a business to run, but as an opinion from someone who connects with the ideal that AI's Mini embodied: Just enough is more. Tangibly and intangibly.

Just enough footprint on the road, just enough performance, just enough practicality, just enough style, and just enough cheek.

That formula dictates something different than we're getting.

Last edited by matthew-w; 02-26-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Do you think you'd use the CD player more if you had the use of your hands?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by RonG
Yup. If Mini ever wants to sell me another Mini. They will have to make it smaller, and get rid of the cartoonish center console. They have strayed to far from their roots.
Get the JCW Coupe then. It's not like Mini doesn't have 6 other models to choose from. Name another brand with that many choices in a small car line. I haven't used my CD player more than 10 times in 7 years either. Remember when Apple eliminated the floppy disc drive? Then the CD drive?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
i dont know that i mentioend this but i took a look at it at the chicago auto show and i thought it was hideous... i'm taking all these reviews with a grain of salt until i go drive one myself

Old 02-26-2014, 08:58 AM
matthew-w
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Get the JCW Coupe then.
The Coupe isn't a reflection of the original Mini values. Respectfully, that's the point.

The Coupe's a fine MINI. So are the "6 other models to choose from", but some of us still want two doors, four seats and a hatch packaged in an athletic and very _small_ footprint.

Or, as Leonard Lord put it, "a 'proper miniature car'".

Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 AM
carmine_peluso
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ + 1

Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
The Coupe isn't a reflection of the original Mini values. Respectfully, that's the point.

The Coupe's a fine MINI. So are the "6 other models to choose from", but some of us still want two doors, four seats and a hatch packaged in an athletic and very _small_ footprint.

Or, as Leonard Lord put it, "a 'proper miniature car'".
then get an r53 or r56? =)

Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 AM
matthew-w
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
then get an r53 or r56? =)
See earlier comments.

Last edited by matthew-w; 03-12-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
I took this thread to be a conversation, and assumed earlier comments were considered.
oh, sorry

Old 02-26-2014, 11:21 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chrunck
"Really bad move"? Who even uses CDs anymore? They're looking towards the future.
Not everyone likes the crappy sound of MP3's or cares to pay for more data to stream from Pandora. I have over 1000 CD's, so who uses CD's anymore? I do!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:18 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davisflyer
Not everyone likes the crappy sound of MP3's or cares to pay for more data to stream from Pandora. I have over 1000 CD's, so who uses CD's anymore? I do!
I gotta disagree here.....MP3's encoded at 256kbps or higher do not sound crappy at all IMO.....quite the contrary actually. Their sound quality difference is barely noticeable, if at all (I don't hear it) at this rate. I have over 1000 cd's as well and they are ALL ripped to my laptop and in my iTunes (iPod) at a VERY listenable encoded rate.

Where do you put a 1000 cd's in a MINI anyway?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Vitovillabilbao
1st Gear
Sorry but no thanks! This version it's going far away from the original spirit, I know that some say that the spirit thing its not something to worry about, this is a modern car, etc. But for me based-on-original-designs have to respect that origin, if not it's only another new car, change the name then... no problem. You surely can't achieve that spirit by pumping and pumping the volume. Just seeing it I can feel how the gravity center is getting higher and higher... almost feeling the handling getting that awkward-SUV boat-like feel. And the front end of it including the JCW, again if its a new car model of any brand in the market it's Ok I think, but coming from the spartan purity of his 59' father its so excessive! Looks like a boxer with a black tooth guard. Worst than that, looks like Futurama´s Bender the robot with tooth guard... no thanks

Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rockjohny
I can't get past the fact it reminds me of a wide-eyed runny-nosed child who eats with his mouth open. Car for mouth-breathers i guess.
And offensive post of the year award goes to THIS guy.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Vitovillabilbao
Sorry but no thanks! This version it's going far away from the original spirit, I know that some say that the spirit thing its not something to worry about, this is a modern car, etc. But for me based-on-original-designs have to respect that origin, if not it's only another new car, change the name then... no problem. You surely can't achieve that spirit by pumping and pumping the volume. Just seeing it I can feel how the gravity center is getting higher and higher... almost feeling the handling getting that awkward-SUV boat-like feel. And the front end of it including the JCW, again if its a new car model of any brand in the market it's Ok I think, but coming from the spartan purity of his 59' father its so excessive! Looks like a boxer with a black tooth guard. Worst than that, looks like Futurama´s Bender the robot with tooth guard... no thanks
Done yet? Feel better?

Seriously, quit beating the dead horse people. If you don't like the F56, don't buy it. Simple as that.

Don't come over to a thread dedicated to it just to badmouth it.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gotta love NAM members:-).

Everyone tries so hard to rip it with new examples. I'll buy one if I can get a MCS with the JCW aero kit. I can't wait to test drive it next month at my dealership.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:44 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
The front end still irritates me but if something terrible were to happen to my R60 (knock on wood) I'd buy the F56 to replace it in a heartbeat.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 PM
carmine_peluso
Neutral
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ
Done yet? Feel better?

Seriously, quit beating the dead horse people. If you don't like the F56, don't buy it. Simple as that.

I can see how people are upset. Like me I would love to buy another mini but the only one I like is the r53 and I already have one of those. If they came out with a revised newer model of the 53 or just same size and feel. I would buy it in a heart beat. The F56 is a foot in the wrong direction (my opinion).

Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Vitovillabilbao
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ
Done yet? Feel better?

I don't want a bad vibe and also don't want to get in a byzantine discussion but, this is a Mini forum, to talk about Minis or I'm mistaken?
I thought this was a place to discuss ideas, the thread it's to a Mini Cooper "Review" not only to glorify it.
Everyone has the right to their opinion, for me if you like it and want to buy one go ahead, and in the same line if you don't like others opinion don't read them. Simple as that.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:17 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Well it looks like after reading so many {Negative} comments maybe it is time for a "Positive" post.

My 2014 is on order and I as well as my wife are very "Excited" about the completely New BMW MCS for 2014.

There is nothing about it that I don't like.

It is a New car outside as well as inside and also has New Engines

What's not to like when everything is taken into consideration.

The new MCS is an outstanding new car in all respects.

Oh, and for all the Negative Members that just Hate the New 2014 Mini & Mini Cooper Sport I have an idea I would like to share with you.

Keep what you have and whatever you do don't purchase the New 2014 Models.

Oh, I left this comment out, sorry, everyone does have a right to voice their opinions.

But do any of you really think your Bitchin, Complaining is going to change the 2014 that is now already being manufactured.

You will be HAPPY and the ones of us that are getting the New 2014 Models will also be Happy.

T.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:31 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
^ right on.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
^ right on.
Not really . . . lol

I think someone who can't find a single thing they don't like on any car is "new car high" and quite biased.

I do think critics are important and comes from many places. Any brands needs feedback to get to know how to make changes as the year models will progress and sales will be affected. Being overly positive or not saying anything just to not be label as a "hater" is not healthy and makes for dull conversations.

But more importantly I do think critics doesn't necessarily means people hate the car and won't buy it. Car purchase are often more emotional than most may think. It's all about taste which may vary greatly but for MINI it is truly a popularity contest. If enough people are turned off they will need to change something. So it does matter to a degree. Only time will tell but my hunch tells me they will do some small changes to the front end in a few years to adjust what many are reacting to especially for the S. The standard MINI will be just fine as there are more things to love about the changes than not.

Last edited by TG.; 02-27-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
TG ...

I did read your post carefully above.

Could I as well as anyone else probably find something I did not agree with or like about the new 2014 ???

I'm sure I could but what is the point ......

I think the designers did all they could with the Front-End based on the New Safety Pedestrian Safety Standards.

Manufacturers don't dictate some things the Federal Government does and the Manufacturer has to then try their best to abide by those standards and at the same time not have their vehicle turn out to be a "Disaster".

Since you don't know me at all I'll share something with you.

I'm a 68 year Old Fellow and have owned all sorts of vehicles over those years.

I'm speaking of many-many-many vehicles so I do know something about how things work.

Tigerhonaker, (42) Years of His Vehicles W/Pictures

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthre...rhonakers+cars

Also I worked for Dealerships for over 16 years.

So I also know how they work.

Reading on this Thread as well as others with all the on going Negative comments reminds me of the following.

The new Camaro, Mustang, Challenger and that list just goes on and on and on ...

The car is to Big, Heavy, Screwed up Front-End, Screwed up Rear-End, Hate the interior gauges, Hate the seats, Sound system, Can't see out of it, Needs more H/P & Torque, hate the colors.

I could go on and on and on about what I have seen and read over the years about New Vehicles.

Nothing is going to be what (Everyone) likes and certainly will agree on.

Nor will people calm down and realize the Manufacturer has Limits to what they can do.

They also cannot actually build what they probably would like because the (Tight-***-Public) would then Complain the Damn Vehicle was to "Expensive".

In conclusion,

Taking all things into consideration I will stick with what I posted above that the New BMW Mini/MCS are outstanding new cars.

T.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-27-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
When I joined this forum I had not yet bought my current car, but I was about to. The car was new but it was already around, unlike the F56 which is only being reviewed. The rap on the R56 form the R53 crowd was that it was too refined, not edgy enough, didn't have the supercharger whine thing. But most people actually liked the turbo, the handling, the ride. When I bought mine there was only the HB and the Cabrio. Now there are 7 models. Mini is drawing in more buyers. I'm in favor of small, but this is only 4 inches longer. I love light weight, and this is only 60-80 lbs heavier. Heck some owners have gained that much weight themselves between cars. I really pay minimal attention to the review geeks. I need to see and drive the cars myself. I think I'll wait and see, postpone that JCW Coupe I have my eye one for now.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 2014 Mini Cooper First Drive Review!