F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

New cooper died at 2600 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An extended warranty doesn't address the reliability issue which is the primary consideration for the co-ed.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:31 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My thoughts are:

a) Press for extended warranty -- but this will need to be from corporate, not Mini of Irvine. Any push back should be met by pointing out that "second inspection" definitely should have caught oil filter issue, or what's the point of that follow-up quality audit?
b) Once fixed, I wouldn't worry about higher odds of a breakdown for your daughter. Any car she has could have an issue. That's why you have roadside coverage, and it sounds as if you have both Mini roadside assistance and AAA.
c) Only you can decide if the worry of what could happen outweighs the cost of selling the car and moving on. But if you would just keep the car and deal with it if it was your car and not your daughter's, then you have less justification to ask Mini to buy back the car.

I fully understand the parent part, but the odds are high that either all will be fine after the repair, or if there is a lasting issue, the car will likely show it during the regular 4 year / 50K mile warranty period and you would then have a stronger case to say "hey Mini, do something about this".

If it makes you feel better, my R56 (which has been sold) was actually three quarts shy of oil (or so I was told) at about 30K miles (no oil light either), and at 65K there was not one issue that had been caused by this. This was all caused by the R56 liking to consume oil, and the long oil change intervals if you trust the computer conditioned based service indicator. After this I learned to check and add oil much more frequently -- though the R56 dipstick made checking almost impossible.

It wouldn't take much leaking oil to cause a lot of smoke, and even two or three quarts would have been a huge huge puddle -- so you may not have been down as much oil as you think. [Suggest taking a bottle of pancake syrup to some lot or field, empty it, and compare it to your puddle. A quart is 32 oz. Three quarts is 96 oz. That would be really huge. And to lose that much, your engine would have been smoking long before the car wash. But, this is just my opinion, and I could very well be wrong.

Last edited by aafflyer; 10-06-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:48 PM
two250
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would keep the car for now, put a 1000 miles on it, then send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

They can detect if there is any premature wear by the metal count in your oil. If it comes back bad ditch the car or try and take it up with MINI. If comes back good then keep it, and continue to send Blackstone a new sample every 10k or so for peace of mind. This way you can detect an issue long before you end up stranded...

Old 10-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Melor
2nd Gear
When it comes to me and my car, I am surprisingly easy compared to a car my wife or child will drive. For example, I traded my 07 Mini S for a BMW 335 coupe. I wanted more power and a larger cabin. Bought on Sunday. On monday the door latch failed. Then I went through 4 high pressure fuel pumps a turbocharger and a battery. Also, when the car was new, it had a bounce that felt like a tire was out of round, rim bent or way off balance. Could EASILY be felt at high speed on a flat surface. They didn't want to address the issue. When I pressed, they took it for a drive and couldn't feel it. I asked how fast they drove and was told up to 45 MPH. Seriously, the car rocked and rolled around 70 on smooth ground. Was told they only guarantee up to 55 MPH. This is "the ultimate driving machine" Finally I told the service manager that i would pay for the car to be checked out of pocket, but if it was out of balance I would refuse to pay because he was correct. The tech came in and the front right was WAY off balance.

In any case, I loved driving that car and tolerated the numerous problems because 1) it was a commuter vehicle and wouldn't leave the immediate area - ever. and 2) It was MY car and I didn't mind dealing with it. I didn't want a free anyting or a buyback or to lemon the car. I tolerated for the reasons I mention.

On the contrary, 1) I bought the Mini for my daughter who is not experienced at handling automotive failures and 2) The car is on the open highway between South Orange County and San Luis Obispo and to make matters worse the nearest dealership to SLO is in Camarillo - a LONG way from SLO. To boot, at 18 years old, she is not able to rent a car during repair or service and doesn't have a "spare" car like we do. I understand that it is not Mini's fault that she is not close to a repair area, but I contend that running the car's oil out makes the car more prone to future failure. This is the reason I am considering a campaign for a buy-back. Now if the engine is a melt down, I think my quest will be easy. On the other hand, I anticipate hearing the car suffered no problems and it is as good as new - which considering it was sold new with a faulty part by accident, is not much comfort.

Paul

Old 10-06-2014, 10:44 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Melor
On the contrary, 1) I bought the Mini for my daughter who is not experienced at handling automotive failures and 2) The car is on the open highway between South Orange County and San Luis Obispo and to make matters worse the nearest dealership to SLO is in Camarillo - a LONG way from SLO. To boot, at 18 years old, she is not able to rent a car during repair or service and doesn't have a "spare" car like we do. I understand that it is not Mini's fault that she is not close to a repair area, but I contend that running the car's oil out makes the car more prone to future failure. This is the reason I am considering a campaign for a buy-back. Now if the engine is a melt down, I think my quest will be easy. On the other hand, I anticipate hearing the car suffered no problems and it is as good as new - which considering it was sold new with a faulty part by accident, is not much comfort.

Paul
Totally understand where you are coming from, and you are welcome to push for the buyback. But, I don't think you will have much success at this point, as you're asking for a buy back because something might go wrong because something did go wrong. Good luck with that one

My 2009 MCS had zero issues (other than the carbon fouling and higher oil consumption (but within the normal range for Mini) compared to prior cars I've owned), but my fear of what could go wrong and being out of the warranty where anything that did go wrong could get expensive, pushed me to look at different cars the last 12 months.

I drove a couple of others, but in the end, none were like the Mini. But, I have to admit, the lower opinion for Mini reliability issues, and the F56 did give me pause, but finding no other cars who did it for me, and taking the F56 for a drive, I was sold on Mini again.

The whole point of this is that you too knew the F56 was a first year model and that there were reliability complaints for the R56 the past few years. And you knew the lack of dealers near your daughter's school. Yet you bought the car. Now something happened, Mini going to fix it, and I hope you trust them to fix it right (i.e. not that something can't go wrong subsequently) -- i.e. it will be road worthy, heads checked for warping, no internal engine damage, etc.

So, when they deliver the car back to you and vouch for it's soundness, but being able to offer no more guarantees, and likely no less guarantees (other than human nature to be worried), tell me again why it's now Mini's issue that you feel there is a greater issue of a problem for your daughter and they should buy the car back?

If you have further subsequent issues, you may have a case. But right now, it's doubtful it's going to happen -- though if you've bought tons of past cars from Mini of Irvine (and I don't know if they have a paired BMW dealer), they might make you a better trade in, but from a business standpoint, I don't see them stepping up to the plate to "make things right" because they haven't really done anything wrong other than not selling a car with zero problems ever.

Again, I get where you are coming from, and by all means go for it, and plead your case. I just think it's a long shot.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aafflyer
My thoughts are:

a) Press for extended warranty -- but this will need to be from corporate, not Mini of Irvine. Any push back should be met by pointing out that "second inspection" definitely should have caught oil filter issue, or what's the point of that follow-up quality audit?
b) Once fixed, I wouldn't worry about higher odds of a breakdown for your daughter. Any car she has could have an issue. That's why you have roadside coverage, and it sounds as if you have both Mini roadside assistance and AAA.

It wouldn't take much leaking oil to cause a lot of smoke, and even two or three quarts would have been a huge huge puddle -- so you may not have been down as much oil as you think. [Suggest taking a bottle of pancake syrup to some lot or field, empty it, and compare it to your puddle. A quart is 32 oz. Three quarts is 96 oz. That would be really huge. And to lose that much, your engine would have been smoking long before the car wash. But, this is just my opinion, and I could very well be wrong.
This car take 4.5 quarts of oil. That is a lot. That is over a gallon of oil. Dump a gallon of water on the driveway and see what that looks like. I agree, the smoke was probably just oil running onto the exhaust pipe. If the engine blew the smoke would be coming out the tail pipe. You'd probably still see black oily residue on the tailpipe if this happened. So it very likely did not get so low that it caused damage to the engine. That may also be why the car did not throw any codes and no dummy lights went off. It just didn't go that far. If you didn't find it when you did and were on a long road trip yes you might have run the engine out of oil. Hopefully there would have been dummy lights and if it really did run out of oil it probably would have seized into one piece of aluminum.

While this would seriously **** me off, if they fix it right it should not be a problem. Without looking at it it seems to me the smoke was not the engine burning, it was oil on the exhaust pipe burning. You probably didn't lose as much oil as you think. I'd push for an extended warranty, I'd teach my daughter about the importance of checking the oil level and what dummy lights mean, and keep the car.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:33 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
i have been following this thread and have to comment

first i am sorry for your experience, but i am not at all surprised

buying a first year of production new model of ANY brand and expecting complete reliability is just not a sound decision ... check j d powers, consumer reports, ntsb, kelly blue book to name a few ... first year models depreciate faster than later year production models and there is a good reason for it

first year of production vehicles historically have terrible reliabilty and bmw/mini are among the worst

in the end, no matter how much testing the manufacturer does, when the product is in the real world trouble will occur ... the buying public is doing the final testing

the only reason to buy a first year production is the perceived status of being the first to own, but to buy for reliabilty is to deny history

Old 10-07-2014, 06:21 AM
George 2014
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
....the only reason to buy a first year production is the perceived status of being the first to own...
I disagree with that. We bought our F56 because it just happened to be during 2014 that we decided we wanted a Mini and we also did not want a pre-owned or used car. Had nothing to do with "status" or "ego": It was the only option on the table if we wanted to be drivng one now.

To the TS, I would let Mini fix the issue and keep driving (and enjoying) the car. It never was and never will be a Civic or Carolla but then again, I'm sure that's why you didn't buy a Civic or a Carolla in the first place. If Mini will warranty the repairs, what's the issue?

Old 10-07-2014, 11:25 AM
two250
4th Gear
Since the mini lost so much oil at the end, and a good sized puddle at the two stops prior to the smoking / drain out as well as a trial of oil between stops I cannot imagine much of oil was remaining in the pan and that the car was receiving proper lubrication. Even if there is no apparent damage now, I am skeptical that the car will be in the same condition internally as it would have been had the part not failed.

I can tell I am torn by this issue and hence the rambling text above... Bottom line is that feedback from other people is of interest to me and can cause me to feel one way or the other. I am not commited to feeling one way or the other regarding this issue, especially as I haven't heard from the dealership as to their opinion of the condition of the motor.

Thanks again, hope your daughter has success and a good experience in college.

Paul

Paul
Honestly it sounds like your mind is made up, you asked a page back what others would do in your situation, and it seems everyone replied with "keep it". However both of these replies I have quoted tell me that you have lost faith in this car, and you are worried about your daughter driving it. It seems to me that your opinion on it hasn't changed, even after some of us tried to get you to keep it. So you can:

1. Try to get MINI to replace the motor
2. Try to get MINI to buy it back
3. Sell it at a loss

Personally I would keep it, I have seen new engines run with no oil at all and end up just fine...

Old 10-07-2014, 11:48 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I've got 3 kids who went to college, one 1000 miles away (Boulder). They all had used cars. No breakdowns ever. Two got totalled in accidents though (no injuries). Any car, new or used, can crap out on you. I know you bought new to avoid that, but it's a proven fact and is pretty rare. I'd keep it and ask them to extend the warranty because of the known period of low oil level/pressure. As for bmwr606's contention that buying first year models makes you more likely to have problems like this, terrible reliability, lower resale values, bla bla bla: that's a bunch of bunk.Maybe we should all be driving VW Beetles lol.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:07 PM
vegbiker
2nd Gear
George 2014, I agree with your disagreement. The seed to buy my first Mini had been germinating in my brain for a long time, maybe since I first watched "The Italian Job." I was going to buy a used one, but when I learned of this new generation with all the neato upgrades, including a larger size, I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with less than new (obviously I don't have all that purist baggage to lug around). At age 65, I jumped in and bought (though I'm still waiting) -- every year is precious, why wait for next year production models? I'm not concerned with impressing people; non-Mini people won't know it's a new car, just a late-year Mini.

As for the OP, I agree with the general consensus to keep it, especially if MINI won't buy it back. It's a question of probability: is the car likely to break down again any more than any other car - new or used - is likely to break down? I have to assume Mini will go over that car wirh a fine-toothed comb to ensure no further problems. In that regard, it may be even safer than most cars. In the words of Garp, the car has been "pre-disastered."

Last edited by vegbiker; 10-07-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: to edit
Old 10-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I can tell I am torn by this issue
I completely share your concern.

I've been reading this thread with a GREAT interest for following reasons:
> I have a 2014 MCS.
> I have children (20-23 years old).
> I'm 52 years old.
> I lived in Irvine while attending UCI (1980-1984).
> I work for a vehicle manufacturing company as a mechanical engineer in the quality control dept (no,not MINI).
> I had some experience with MINI of Irvine and, yes, they are great.

Is anything else replaced or repaired, other than filter housing, on the engine because of this issue?

Have the dealer perform a compression check and/or leak down test. This will tell how tight the engine is.

Also, ask the dealer if they can save about 1/2 quart of current engine oil (with 2600 miles on), if still remaining. You may send out to a lab for analysis to see any metal contaminants exist (if you want I can do it for you. PM me ).

Last edited by Chazman; 10-07-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:45 PM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chazman
I completely share your concern.

Also, ask the dealer if they can save about 1/2 quart of currint engine oil (with 2600 miles on), if still remaining. You may send out to a lab for analysis to see any metal contaminants exist (if you want I can do it for you. PM me ).
I agree here about the oil analysis - especially if the dealer doesn't replace the engine. I would put about 2500 miles on it then have the oil changed while nice and hot and pull a sample out mid-stream. There are norms that the analysis company can compare your oil against and they'll give you a straight answer if things are out of line. I've used Blackstone Labs with great success. I have no affiliation with them beyond being a satisfied customer.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by papawhiskey

There are norms that the analysis company can compare your oil against and they'll give you a straight answer if things are out of line.
I also have the lab test result from my own MCS oil that I sent out from my first 3000 mile oil change. We can use that as for a reference.

BTW, manufacturers providing a new engine or new vehicle in case of catastrophic mechanical failure is not uncommon.... if consumer asks for it.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:02 PM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
I also have the lab test result from my own MCS oil that I sent out from my first 3000 mile oil change. We can use that as for a reference.
Great idea. I did analyses at 1K & 5K and that would give you some Mini specific data points to compare to from multiple vehicles.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:25 PM
kgehrig
1st Gear
I had the same leak and not worried about the reliability of the engine. Put on another 1000 miles since issue. I new the F56 would be risky on reliability. I bought wife's 2009 TSX when they came out in 2008. My F56 has already had more issue. Still gkab I bought my Mini

Old 10-07-2014, 02:01 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
Great idea. I did analyses at 1K & 5K and that would give you some Mini specific data points to compare to from multiple vehicles.
I remember others sending their Mini's oil for analysis on the R56 Hatchback forum. Their concern was the rather long interval between oil changes using the Mini's alerts system. Turned out that you could go quite a ways between oil changes and be OK.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Lawnmower3000
2nd Gear
There's a lot of good advice here. I'd add my votes for oil analysis and extended "factory" warranty (not one of those typical BS extended warranties full of fine print) of at least 10 years, 100K miles. The problem is that without a teardown and inspection of bearings and cylinder walls (and heaven help you with damage to the Valvetronic) you simply can't assess what, if any, latent damage there is. The oil analysis certainly can help with this though. While a negative outcome might not tell you what you need to know, a positive result could be cause for immediate remediation.

OTOH, there are a lot of anecdotal tales of running engines on synthetic oil "fumes" for alarmingly long periods. There may be no damage at all, based on how quickly you caught the problem.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:39 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawnmower3000
There's a lot of good advice here. I'd add my votes for oil analysis and extended "factory" warranty (not one of those typical BS extended warranties full of fine print) of at least 10 years, 100K miles.

Where in the world can you buy a non BS extended factory warranty for ten years on A Mini Cooper?
We have a six year, 100K mile on our Mini now but ten years would be great if were possible and not outrageously priced.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
Where in the world can you buy a non BS extended factory warranty for ten years on A Mini Cooper?
My interpretation was that the OP "demands" it from MINI, not buy it.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Melor
2nd Gear
My interpretation was that the OP "demands" it from MINI, not buy it.

I am not demanding anything from anyone. The car hasn't even been fully assessed as to the damage, only that it failed because of the defective housing.

I am upset that the car missed the silent recall and wasn't fixed before it was sold. This problem was known my Mini in June when I bought the car. Had the issue been taken care of like so many other Minis apparently were, this wouldn't have happened and I wouldn't have to wonder about the future safety or reliability based on damage that may have occurred.

I am grateful that the problem became apparent when the car was stopped and not while on a crowded freeway or in a desolate or other dangerous area. The possibility that her engine could have had a catastrophic failure in heavy high speed traffic scares the heck out of me. I can imagine the power steering and power brakes quitting with the engine at 65 miles per hour on interstate 5. She might not be around to ask when her car would get fixed.

This is a risk that we take every time we get into a car and drive. The fact that this problem could have been avoided is where I start to become angry. The fact that there could be latent damage that would put my daughter in danger also worries me.

The part should be available on Wednesday. When it is put in, more will be learned. All information will be considered when I decide what I am going to do with the car.

To the poster who suggested that buying a car with a known defect is par for the course when buying a new model year car and is the price you pay for the prestige of buying a new car; You are nuts. This is a Mini, not a prestige car. I bought this car because I needed a car this summer, not because i wanted a new model year. I didn't even know this was a redesign after not having my previous mini for many years.

Selling a car with a known defect is a corporation playing dice with the cost of recall vs the cost of litigation. Like I said before I am grateful that no injury serious or otherwise occurred. Had my daughter been seriously injured, i would be looking for the bean counter that made the decision to let this defect pass. On the other hand, given that they apparently caught a large number of these issues before they were sold, it could be simple human error and not corporate conspiracy. People make mistakes. Corporations make decisions.

Paul

Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the old part and the new one? Or is it safe to assume 2015 models have the new part?

Old 10-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I am not demanding anything from anyone. The car hasn't even been fully assessed as to the damage, only that it failed because of the defective housing.

I am upset that the car missed the silent recall and wasn't fixed before it was sold. This problem was known my Mini in June when I bought the car. Had the issue been taken care of like so many other Minis apparently were, this wouldn't have happened and I wouldn't have to wonder about the future safety or reliability based on damage that may have occurred.

I am grateful that the problem became apparent when the car was stopped and not while on a crowded freeway or in a desolate or other dangerous area. The possibility that her engine could have had a catastrophic failure in heavy high speed traffic scares the heck out of me. I can imagine the power steering and power brakes quitting with the engine at 65 miles per hour on interstate 5. She might not be around to ask when her car would get fixed.

This is a risk that we take every time we get into a car and drive. The fact that this problem could have been avoided is where I start to become angry. The fact that there could be latent damage that would put my daughter in danger also worries me.

The part should be available on Wednesday. When it is put in, more will be learned. All information will be considered when I decide what I am going to do with the car.

To the poster who suggested that buying a car with a known defect is par for the course when buying a new model year car and is the price you pay for the prestige of buying a new car; You are nuts. This is a Mini, not a prestige car. I bought this car because I needed a car this summer, not because i wanted a new model year. I didn't even know this was a redesign after not having my previous mini for many years.

Selling a car with a known defect is a corporation playing dice with the cost of recall vs the cost of litigation. Like I said before I am grateful that no injury serious or otherwise occurred. Had my daughter been seriously injured, i would be looking for the bean counter that made the decision to let this defect pass. On the other hand, given that they apparently caught a large number of these issues before they were sold, it could be simple human error and not corporate conspiracy. People make mistakes. Corporations make decisions.

Paul
As with most problems Minis have had before; timing chain/tensioners, high pressure fuel pumps, melting hood scoops, breaking vanity mirror doors, defective CVTs, mushrooming shock mounts, smoking power steering pumps.... it's cheaper for Mini/BMW to deal with them piecemeal instead of doing a full blown recall. Some people went out and paid out of their own pockets to fix those issues, some made enough noise to get Mini/BMW to fix them and some just chalk it up to Mini's quirkiness and didn't do anything. It's shameful for Mini/BMW to treat these issues like they do, shameful. Whether they fix it for you or not you should submit a report to the NHTSA for the very safety reasons you mentioned.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:06 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Keep us posted on what the dealer finds / reports.

Last edited by aafflyer; 10-07-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Had a difficult day -- brought some attitude with reply that I decided wan't needed.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Melor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aafflyer
Keep us posted on what the dealer finds / reports.

Will do. Am happy that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Has been a lot of work and emotion involved with dealing with this problem.

Thanks to those who suggested analysis of the oil. I have never done that with any car I have owned but looked into it a while ago and thought it was surprisingly cost efficient and a great way to monitor the inner workings of the moving parts.

My anger over being stranded and frustration at waiting to know what failed are fading as the days pass. I had three days of hour long phone calls, standing around waiting for a tow truck dispatched from Santa Maria to SLO, dealing with a worried kid, etc... I am glad they are behind me. Hopefully the car will run fine and be tested as undamaged by the mechanic and my daughter and the car can go "Motoring" once again. Hopefully this won't be the first of multiple failures and misadventures.

If you own a new Mini with this engine, please be careful and get the part checked. My car should have been repaired. It wasn't. The fallout didn't involve an ambulance. For this I am grateful.

Updates as they come.

Paul

Quick Reply: New cooper died at 2600 miles.