F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Driveshaft detached from drivetrain on 2017 F54 S ALL4

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 11:11 AM
pseudofinn
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driveshaft detached from drivetrain on 2017 F54 S ALL4

It felt like I drove over a rumble strip, and then when I turned the wheel I heard a loud pop then thud, and clang followed by a nasty scraping sound. I stopped immediately. Once I got the wheel off, this is what I found....

This is a 2017 Clubman S ALL4 with 40k miles. It has a manual transmission that was replaced at 32k when it kept popping out of 2nd gear, before the gear failed completely on a roadtrip. My assumption is that things didn't get put together right after that transmission swap- which would not surprise me from this shop. At any rate, I get to sit around and think about it for a couple of days because according to the receptionist at my MINI dealership- the service manager didn't show up today, the service advisors have left... and the sales manager hasn't returned the voicemail from two hours ago. The MINI USA line is not staffed on weekends.

Anyone have any thoughts while my MINI waits for help?

Old 09-23-2018, 09:52 PM
Evlkarl
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the info next time I am at the Dealer I will let them check my All 4. Wonder if it was a manufacture defect from the supplier. That could get nasty at high speeds. If we see more of it than Mini got a problem on there hands.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:53 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
I would have to agree with your assumption on incorrect reassembly, considering you had work done that would have had to remove that shaft and connect it back on. I wonder if they simply hand tightened the retaining nut onto the shaft and didn't torque it down. Over short time the natural vibration of the drivetrain caused it to loosen and slide back and detach. Any luck on getting it repaired yet?

Old 09-26-2018, 11:43 AM
pseudofinn
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No word yet. MINI USA agreed to pay the overage to tow it to Ann Arbor (~100miles) instead of Grand Rapids (~20miles) who did the transmission swap. Funny, the tow guy said his parents have a Clubman- and they won't let GR touch it. A real shame, that place.

At any rate, Basil is in Ann Arbor being tended to- arrived yesterday around 5 or 6- no word yet.

The following users liked this post:
Evlkarl (09-26-2018)