F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 summer time blues

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 PM
eyevin68
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
summer time blues

Good day to all. This will be my second summer with my F54. I love my cooper, looks and performance. Has anyone ever seen staining by the front wheel molding and front grill? It's a glue like substance. I've taken it to my mini dealer and nothing had been done. Only an explanation. It's from the packaging material in the hood from when it's shipped. I was told it'll melt away after a hot summer. I'm meticulous when it come to my cars. Spent $30 on a deluxe car wash. Car appeared to be clean, until you see the wheel moldings and front grill. I plan on contacting my mini advisor again but has anyone experienced anything like this? And if so, was it resolved? Frustrated to say the least, please help.
Save
SaveSaveSave

Attached Thumbnails summer time blues-minimoldin.jpg   summer time blues-minifront.jpg  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:27 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
It's cosmoline residue, they spray it on the car to protect it during shipping. It often gets into nooks and crannies and they don't get it all when it is cleaned for sales.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Wow, that's a bad case of it. They should clean or replace wheel arch trim under warranty. On my car it stained aftermarket clear shield, never got it off and wasn't dealership issue.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:50 PM
eyevin68
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks DneprDave. at least now it has a name , " cosmoline, damn you "

Old 04-18-2017, 03:46 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
I had the same ooze near the right front headlight onto the chrome also. A little mineral spirits on a soft rag solved the issue for me. So far.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
According to Wikipedia....Cosmoline is the genericized trademark for a generic class of rust inhibitors, typically conforming to United States Military Standard MIL-C-11796C Class 3, that are a brown colored wax-like mass; have a slight fluorescence; and have a petroleum-like odor and taste (as detected when working with it).

It is a well known rust inhibitor used on surplus firearms. Usually, recommended cleaners range from mineral spirits to diesel to kerosene. I would say mineral spirits would be the best bet.....

Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Certainly looks like dirt mixed with Cosmoline or whatever specific rust inhibitor MINI uses. I know the undercarriage on my former Subie was just slathered with it, which is kind of funny as it was shipped all the way from SIA in Lafayette, Indiana and not Japan.

I agree that mineral spirits would be your best bet, but you could also try some Turtle Wax Tar & Bug remover as well. I have never had any material compatibility issues with that in the past (i.e.- the plastic wheel arch). Good luck.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Your dealer is simply lazy. Definitely a warranty item.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:57 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The dealer doesn't clean off the cosmoline, a predelivery service does that at the port of entry.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
But the dealer should take care of the warranty work. He is not going to take it to the VDC!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Huey6915609
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's an idea I'd try. A hot soapy solution should soften it adequately. Soak the effected seams really good and pull the soapy goo out with a wet/dry shop-vac with the hose cuff against it. Repeat as necessary. Eventually you'll get it all pulled out. Consider it as "flushing" or "purging" it out. Years ago I had to go pick up a bunch of new M-60 machine guns for an aviation unit we were activating from scratch. Each 60 was packaged in plastic with Cosmoline gooped in every crevice, so I know how messy the stuff is. Try this positive thought (or mantra): it could be worse. There's much worse CPC's (Corrosion Preventative Compounds) out there that sets up hard. Just find out the maximum temp of water you can use and stay under that...and flush away!

Oh, thanks for the heads up on this! I've been lurking around this forum for almost a year learning all I can about these cars. I was hoping to have ordered one by last February but...you know how you have really bad years every now and then? It's my turn. Maybe this summer, late. I'm still debating the color and have it narrowed down to pepper white, digital blue or melting silver -- all colors that will show the dreaded cosmoline ooze. But, as long as I can finally get one I'll be happy. Thanks again and let us know how you deal with it.