F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Cravenspeed Adjustable Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 01:51 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Cravenspeed Adjustable Short Shifter

Anyone install the Cravenspeed Adjustable Short Shifter http://www.cravenspeed.com/adjustabl...fter-for-mini/ on their F54? I'm looking to do this mod and was curious if anyone had any feedback to share.....

The following users liked this post:
His and hers F54’s (01-13-2023)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:53 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We've done several of them and it is a great mod as it really brings life and feel back to the car as I feel the stock one is just too soft. We keep them in stock.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/craven...ifter-f56.html

We also have our little adapter that lengthens it to give you a shorter throw too.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-sh...5-f56-f57.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-07-2017, 09:00 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Can you explain how your 2nd referenced part (the adapter) works and what exactly it does? Is it an extension that goes on the end of the stock lever to make it longer? How does that shorten the throws?

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:34 AM
zagman
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I am interested in this information as well.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:53 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You shorten the throw by extending the rod that comes out of the shifter underneath the car. When you shorten the cravenspeed shifter inside the car, you are lengthening the shifter beneath the car (you're pushing the rod downwards). The 2nd part Way referenced does the same thing as the CS shifter does, although it is not adjustable. The interior of the car would look stock, but your throw would be shorter because the lower half of the shifter would become longer.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:25 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
You shorten the throw by extending the rod that comes out of the shifter underneath the car. When you shorten the cravenspeed shifter inside the car, you are lengthening the shifter beneath the car (you're pushing the rod downwards). The 2nd part Way referenced does the same thing as the CS shifter does, although it is not adjustable. The interior of the car would look stock, but your throw would be shorter because the lower half of the shifter would become longer.

He is correct. The extension just makes the bottom of the shaft longer so moving the top end will reduce how far you have to move it to get it in gear as before.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-08-2017, 04:59 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Thanks. I just ordered one.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest
Thanks. I just ordered one.
Interested in how the install goes.....

Old 03-10-2017, 06:11 PM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
I got the adapter today. It seems really well made, but I'm quite surprised that the is no paperwork whatsoever. I don't see any installation instructions on your page either. Do I access it from the top or the bottom? Please direct me to the instructions. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:52 PM
vetsvette
Received 451 Likes on 344 Posts
FYI. Unlike the 2nd Gen cars, the bottom of the shifter is not under the car. You have to remove the console to access the shift mechanism. If you're installing the adjustable unit I would recommend the Mini shifter retainer clip pro from CravenSpeed also. I had an adjustable CS shifter in my R56 and now have one in my F56. You won't believe the difference. These are the parts I have installed in the F56... They should work in the f54 also.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/adjustab...ifter-for-mini
https://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-shi...ning-clip-pro/
http://www.sneed4speed.com/mini-cooper-shift-****/

Last edited by vetsvette; 03-10-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I have a NM short shifter adapter if anyone is interested. Its brand new. I ended up getting a cravenspeed SS.

Bought it for $60, selling it for $50

http://www.nm-eng.com/338/0/0/3147/n...t-adapter.html

Old 03-13-2017, 04:27 PM
peterpan101
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest
I got the adapter today. It seems really well made, but I'm quite surprised that the is no paperwork whatsoever. I don't see any installation instructions on your page either. Do I access it from the top or the bottom? Please direct me to the instructions. Thanks.
I also have an adaptor on the way, and am also looking for how to take center counsel apart. The instructions I can find are all for the 56 and it's quite different. Will have to look at more extensively on my day off and can hopefully figure it out

Old 03-13-2017, 06:34 PM
zagman
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
The instructions and videos are on the website here: https://www.cravenspeed.com/adjustable-short-shifter-for-mini/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAgJTGBRDLr5_az_Ouk44BEiQAIxaA4iju_ND _JA6mgjTarqLT5i_X0bEr4Dc2M11LXDZaTsgaAsX38P8HAQ

I had had to select the corresponding generation of MINI to get the instructions.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:17 AM
peterpan101
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I saw those. Like I said they're for the F56, the F54 counsel is quite different. Unless you saw something different then I apologize.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:34 PM
djtomy
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm having a bit of trouble ay, with my Cravenspeed short shifter I installed recently. 1st 3rd and 5th are like butter, nice and easy. 2nd 4th & 6th are like bloody hell (incredibly difficult) from neutral into gear and back to N. Could it be possible I bent up one of the cables when I was installing. I had a difficult time getting one of the cables off the ball attachment. I may have twisted it a bit when trying to release the cable. I really don't want to take this thing apart again~

update: yes, one of the cables was bent!
Advise: be careful when installing a short shifter! its perfect now!

Last edited by djtomy; 04-24-2017 at 08:23 AM. Reason: British accent
Old 05-12-2017, 09:24 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gearhead60
Anyone install the Cravenspeed Adjustable Short Shifter http://www.cravenspeed.com/adjustabl...fter-for-mini/ on their F54? I'm looking to do this mod and was curious if anyone had any feedback to share.....
I have ordered the shifter including the CS clip. I will try and do a writeup once I have the disassembly figured out on the F54. Please comment if anyone has attempted the install on their F54 and would like to share their experience.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:31 AM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Looking forward to hearing more about this, def a mod that is on my radar.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:24 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
I emailed Cravenspeed to see if they have an updated tutorial for my Clubby......

Old 05-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Diablo243
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep me posted on that responses, very interested in their response. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Response from Cravenspeed

As I stated before, I inquired with Cravenspeed about a tutorial and had the following conversation with them. First response from them was a little shocking and then got a little better.....hopefully you will be able to follow the back and forth emails from them to me....

Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 6:42 PM

Hi Mark!

Thanks for reaching out to us! When we released the Short Shifter for the 3rd Generation MINI's it was before the 2017 F54 Clubman had been released- I'm afraid at this time we have not tested that product on that model, but have heard from customers using similar products they do not fit as well as it should, if at all. I am so sorry about the mixup, if things aren't installing correctly I'd be more than happy to process a return and get a full refund back to you as quickly as possible.

Thank you!

-Robert

Robert,

Thanks for the quick response.

So in essence what you’re telling me is that I may in all likelihood find that the shifter will not fit my 2017 Clubman? I find this to be rather disconcerting! Why would you list this as an option for my car on your website if in practice it has been problematic! While I’m finding the aftermarket offerings for this vehicle seem to be lacking, I thought that CravenSpeed had their **** together and would have made sure this part works! I am an active member on NAM and had planned on posting a how to on installing this shifter. There is a lot of interest among the 2016-2017 Clubman owners for a short shifter option. Please consider looking into the proper fitment on this car immediately as I can only see a bad rap being foisted on CravenSpeed over this shifter for the F54.

At this point, I am hesitant to even attempt to install the shifter as the effort to disassemble the console and shifter area may not warrant the risk of it not working

Please realize that I will post responses and experiences for any parts/service I receive to NAM in the future. I believe that my fellow F54 owners need to know and be informed about the their options for aftermarket parts and service.

Mark

Hi Mark-

Thanks for your message, Robert is off for the weekend but I am here to help.

You might be the first person in over a decade to assume we have our **** together and not the other way around, I appreciate that! We don't, but we are on the case.

I recently talked to a guy who was trying to install the the shifter on his Clubman (his was an all4 fwiw) and ran into some slight differences. This is mind bottling given that MINI/BMW used the same shifter setup through every second gen model, and it was awfully similar to the first gen as well. So, we have a full shifter setup coming in for us to play with, then we will find someone who wants to let us verify everything on their Clubby.

Until then, I cannot argue with you not wanting to guinea pig it. Your order should have shipped today already, but that is not problem. Just let us know if you want to hang on to the shifter, clip and **** or which parts you want to send back right away. We will email you a pre-paid return label Monday and refund you for everything including return shipping.

When we have something verified for you to install, if you want one, the shipping is on me.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Have a good weekend!

-=Kellen

Kellen,

Appreciate the honesty. IMO, that goes a long way to keeping customers happy. I think it’s worse when a shop tries to BS their way out of a mistake or error.

My car is a 2017 ALL4 Clubman S built in Nov 2016 if this helps at all. I would love to be your Guinea Pig, but I’m in Virginia. Probably a little far to be a subject….

For now, I will keep the parts once they arrive. They were likely going to sit awhile until I had the time to install them. Please let me know the results of your investigation into the fitment issues. At that point, we can decide what I would need. Also, please, please document the disassembly as there is nothing out there for us Clubby owners on the sequence to take the console/shifter area apart. This would be nice….

Thanks,
Mark

Mark-

That sounds like a fine plan. I will be in touch when we know more and we can swap/refund some parts, or give you proper instructions. I appreciate your willingness to participate, and your understanding.

You mention a lack of Clubman parts, anything I should have my eye on designing once we sort this shifter out?

-=Kellen

Kellen,

What would be the time line on this to get it sorted out? Days, weeks, months?

You asked about other things F54 owners are looking for…..
-Lowering springs. It appears that the aftermarket doesn’t realize that F56 springs don’t work on the F54. F54 is based on the X1, unlike the F56. BTW, the new F60 is also based on the X1. These 2 cars are the better selling Minis right now after the hardtop so I believe there will be a market out there. I would certainly be interested in a set of springs that modestly lowers the car. I don’t want a slammed look, just something that gets rid of the gap between the tire and the fender. Keep in mind I have the Magnetic shocks, so that would need to be taken into consideration. I don’t want to lose the magnetic ride, so coil overs are not an option.

-Factory looking mud flaps. Mini claims they won’t be making them for the F54, but again owners are looking for an OE looking setup, not the slap-on ones that a couple of sites offer. Sadly, I think the boat has sailed on this one….

-Bigger rear sway bar. A few sites show a listing for the F56, and claim fitment for the F54. Again, this is just like the springs. F56 is not an X1. I don’t believe it will work.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 05-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Diablo243
2nd Gear
I spoke with Logan at Craven and he said flat out don't hold your breath for many "parts" for our Clubmans. He said they just have no demand for it, maybe once the Countryman gets going it will help being they are on the same chassis but I'm not too optimistic we will see much for the all4 Clubman unless it is shared with another platform like intakes for the motor.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:51 PM
Diablo243
2nd Gear
Oh and FYI there is a spring option out there for NON-all4 cars, so if you want to lower and do not have an all4 car H&R makes a set. I think one other company on the euro market makes a set too. Also BC Racing just released coilovers for the X1 so may be some potential overlap there as well. They did not indicate if they were for awd cars or not as I know the all4 is optional in the X1 as well.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:06 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Diablo243
I spoke with Logan at Craven and he said flat out don't hold your breath for many "parts" for our Clubmans. He said they just have no demand for it, maybe once the Countryman gets going it will help being they are on the same chassis but I'm not too optimistic we will see much for the all4 Clubman unless it is shared with another platform like intakes for the motor.
Interesting about the response from Logan on the aftermarket parts for our Clubmans....here's the response I got from Kellen "We'll be working on the mudflaps. Although we had not done them before one of our design guys has some ideas about how to attack it. The springs and sway bar are pretty involved, we will need a car here full time in order to make that happen. You are right, these models are selling well, so I will definitely consider it." So the mudflap guys might be in luck. IMO the demand isn't there like the hardtop, but if they make it, they will sell it if can cross over to the new Countryman.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:02 PM
Diablo243
2nd Gear
This was his exact response and I hope they have had a change of heart!

I don't foresee us doing anything for them at this point in time. The F54 is definitely my favorite Mini, unfortunately there isn't a ton of demand for lowering them.
-Logan

Old 05-24-2017, 07:17 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Diablo243
This was his exact response and I hope they have had a change of heart!

I don't foresee us doing anything for them at this point in time. The F54 is definitely my favorite Mini, unfortunately there isn't a ton of demand for lowering them.
-Logan
I'm torn about lowering this car. On one hand I hate the fender tire gap, but on the other had I appreciate the clearance the ride height provides, as I plan to doing some easy off pavement excursions that would not be possible with a lowered car. I've always lowered my cars to get rid of the gap, but this time promised the wife I wouldn't be lowering this car. I'm finding it might not be possible as I have the Dynamic Damper Control and there is no interest that I've found from vendors to develop anything with this option.

Quick Reply: F54 Cravenspeed Adjustable Short Shifter