F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Thinking about upgrading...Clubman S to JCW

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 AM
riSurf
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Turbos are different on the N18 JCW that I have. Pistons and clutch too (I have AT). Maybe they're the same on the F56 though.
Turbos are the same.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:37 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by riSurf
Turbos are the same.
Dude on the R56 JCW forum says bigger turbocharger lower compression ratio on my car than the MCS car.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:39 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the cas e of the N14/N18 engines of the R5x generations, yes. But here we are in the 3rd gen forum, so F5x

Old 01-24-2017, 11:34 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MyroMini
In the cas e of the N14/N18 engines of the R5x generations, yes. But here we are in the 3rd gen forum, so F5x
Gotcha. So because the F5x series JCW and MCS have the same turbocharger is that why some claim that a tuned MCS has the same or better performance than a factory JCW? I mean I've seen threads about people putting bigger turbochargers on the R56 cars hugely boosting their HP, but not on the G3 cars.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:52 PM
riSurf
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotcha. So because the F5x series JCW and MCS have the same turbocharger is that why some claim that a tuned MCS has the same or better performance than a factory JCW? I mean I've seen threads about people putting bigger turbochargers on the R56 cars hugely boosting their HP, but not on the G3 cars.
Most piggy-back tunes for the S claim ~30-50hp gains, largely bridging the ~40hp advertised power difference between the JCW and S. Some piggy-backs also claim a higher peak torque number than the JCW... but as we all know torque <> power (power = torque x RPM).

The only dyno'd piggy-back tuned JCW (B48) that I could find also had a down pipe, but had proportional gains to the S (it made ~290hp/310lb/ft, notably more than similarly tuned S). Would think the lower compression and better cooling and fueling of the JCW are necessary to further push the boost levels.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:46 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
I certainly was interested in the JCW and still covet the extra power and associated improvements. My problem was I couldn't stomach the difference in cost between the deal I got and what I would have had to pay for the JCW. I paid $4700 under factory retail, on an ordered car, using a buying service. The JCW wasn't available to purchase this way, so would have had to negotiate directly with the dealer and I wouldn't have even come close to the deal I got.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Johnny Danger
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gearhead60
I certainly was interested in the JCW and still covet the extra power and associated improvements. My problem was I couldn't stomach the difference in cost between the deal I got and what I would have had to pay for the JCW. I paid $4700 under factory retail, on an ordered car, using a buying service. The JCW wasn't available to purchase this way, so would have had to negotiate directly with the dealer and I wouldn't have even come close to the deal I got.
My situation was identical to yours

Old 02-15-2017, 09:03 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I'm looking to trade my 2015 MCS w/ a JCW tune for a JCW Clubman in 2018.

The extra space the Clubman provides is one consideration, but also the motor, which has the most torque ever offered in a Mini. HP is nice (228) , but the near 260 ft. lb of torque is where the real grunt is. Same motor as the BMW X1.

The JCW tune on my MCS made a big difference w/ in the increased torque gains, especially when driven in "sport" and the tranny slipped into M/S mode. Blipping the throttle will shake me and passenger like around like a James Bond Martini.

No plan to track the car nor add a piggy back tune kit. I keep my car as long as the factory warranty is place, (no longer). One reason I chose the more expensive JCW Factory tune through MINI than a less expensive and likely more powerful aftermarket tuner. I want full factory coverage with no questions about removed piggy back tuners.

Also would not consider the JCW Clubman w/o ordering the DDC ILO the sport suspension. I have it in my 2015 MC5 and it makes the ride quite comfortable. I like performance as well as comfort. One reason I chose the BMW M240i over an M2. Very close in around town performance but worlds apart in driving comfort.

It certainly is true that the F56 JCW doesn't provide a substantial upgrade in performance over an MCS w/ a tuner. Even my MCS w/ the MINI JCW re-flash provides better torque numbers than a stock JCW. So around town, stop light to stop light scooting or traffic hooligan-ism is likely better in MCS w/ the Mini authorized JCW tune than a stock JCW.

The new motor in the JCW Clubman beats all versions of Mini in the torque department.

I'm gambling that going w/ a 2018 JCW Clubman w/ that new BMW motor will provide me the same performance I now enjoy my 2015 F56 JCW tuned car while giving me extra space and amenities I do not currently enjoy.

The only thing that would change my mind about the going Clubman would be if Mini offered the X1 motor in the F56 JCW in 2018.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I'm looking to trade my 2015 MCS w/ a JCW tune for a JCW Clubman in 2018.

The extra space the Clubman provides is one consideration, but also the motor, which has the most torque ever offered in a Mini. HP is nice (228) , but the near 260 ft. lb of torque is where the real grunt is. Same motor as the BMW X1.

The JCW tune on my MCS made a big difference w/ in the increased torque gains, especially when driven in "sport" and the tranny slipped into M/S mode. Blipping the throttle will shake me and passenger like around like a James Bond Martini.

No plan to track the car nor add a piggy back tune kit. I keep my car as long as the factory warranty is place, (no longer). One reason I chose the more expensive JCW Factory tune through MINI than a less expensive and likely more powerful aftermarket tuner. I want full factory coverage with no questions about removed piggy back tuners.

Also would not consider the JCW Clubman w/o ordering the DDC ILO the sport suspension. I have it in my 2015 MC5 and it makes the ride quite comfortable. I like performance as well as comfort. One reason I chose the BMW M240i over an M2. Very close in around town performance but worlds apart in driving comfort..
I never seriously considered the MINI brand until the release of the F54 series Clubby. The dynamic suspension is great and the longer wheelbase does smooth things out, and the general driving dynamics are biased toward comfort -- yet the car retains much of the MINI go-kart zip.

We feel, as a value proposition, there is much more carefree driving fun with our MINI at a fraction of the ownership cost we paid for other highline cars we've owned in the past.

There is a season for everything. I for one am glad MINI still offers tight, smaller cars that can be modded and driven hard for those enthusiasts who have been so important in keeping the brand alive.

For an old dude like me, the Clubman splits the difference nicely. I get enough of the highline feel and get to enjoy the MINI fun to some degree as well -- all at a great cost of ownership.

I, too, have been tempted by the JCW Clubby and may just go that way come lease renewal time. Meanwhile, my wife is eyeing a red Cooper S convertible and is trying to decide if the ride is smooth enough. Ah, the trials of the bourgeoisie

The following users liked this post:
sbreech (07-14-2019)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I've only seen an F54 at the Scottsdale dealership. Beautiful car, wish my wife wanted one (she keeps talking Chargers lol). I bet the JCW model is a gas to drive even though it's a way bigger car than mine. We sort of need one "bigger" car between us so we can haul stuff and dogs around.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
I've only seen an F54 at the Scottsdale dealership. Beautiful car, wish my wife wanted one (she keeps talking Chargers lol). I bet the JCW model is a gas to drive even though it's a way bigger car than mine. We sort of need one "bigger" car between us so we can haul stuff and dogs around.
Sounds like you need to get over there and test drive an F54 sooner than later! My wife misses here former 86 Mustang GT 'vert and was eyeing the Cooper 'verts pretty hard when we were shopping for my F54. We may become a (2) MINI household yet.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Important to remember a well-optioned $40,000+ Clubman can weigh in at close to 3,500lbs, with the JCW being the heaviest of the lot. This, of course, changes dynamics considerably when compared to a 2-door JCW.

The All4 virtually eliminates torque steer and the car handles very well, for what it is. The dynamics improve when the run flats are eliminated and the dynamic dampers are put in play. Larger wheel size increases sensitivity to road imperfections and the type of seats selected impact comfort on longer drives.

Our Clubby does zip and zag nicely, and a JCW, properly kitted out, with a little more extra boost added on top of the upgraded JCW engine, with the addition of a tune box, would be a screaming little sport wagon. And wagon is what it is, cleverly disguised as a jumbo MINI.

Does 40+ grand seem like a lot to spend for one of these? Seems like a fair value to me, if unique is what you seek and you're dis-enamored with paying $60K and more for prestige badges that may or may not give you the same grin as our MINI consistently does.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:45 AM
mjmurray68
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Does 40+ grand seem like a lot to spend for one of these? Seems like a fair value to me, if unique is what you seek and you're dis-enamored with paying $60K and more for prestige badges that may or may not give you the same grin as our MINI consistently does.
Well Put.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have my 2016 F54 S that I got on my employee deal. Sticker was 43,850. I have not had it a year yet (my one year is March 13th) and have about 14,500 miles on it. My book value on the car for excellent condition trade was 26k... Kind of disheartened by it because I am really digging the new JCW clubbie and countryman. Our dealer has a demo F60 and it is fantastic. I am picturing in my mind a manual transmission F48 BMW X1.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:33 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Camyman
I have my 2016 F54 S that I got on my employee deal. Sticker was 43,850. I have not had it a year yet (my one year is March 13th) and have about 14,500 miles on it. My book value on the car for excellent condition trade was 26k... Kind of disheartened by it because I am really digging the new JCW clubbie and countryman. Our dealer has a demo F60 and it is fantastic. I am picturing in my mind a manual transmission F48 BMW X1.
Not to further dishearten you, but w/ 14,500 on your car, dealer isn't likely to give you "Excellent" on your trade. To rate that classification, your car would have the be super low miles and in perfect (I mean show room new condition, smell, interior, exterior, not one nick, near zero tire wear, and so on) condition.

That's not to say you won't get a good deal as most dealerships are full retail affairs, which gives them plenty of wiggle room on trade$. Most will be fair, but not generous on a trade. Fully expect to get "Good" on your trade. "Excellent", IMO is wishful thinking.

You may actually get a better deal going for an X1 w/ the M sport package. Our BMW dealer routinely discounts 2 series cars $2+K (ordered on off the lot).

I'm rethinking my next purchase as a "lease" since Mini's (or most other cars don't hold much value on a trade unless you keep them "as new" and very very very low miles. Down side for me is I like to mod my cars to some degree, which (unless the mod is reversible ---Wheels and tires, tuner box,), means I'd have to live with a stock vehicle.

If I can order my lease (pick the color and options), I may just do it next time around. Our Mini dealer never has a car optioned the way I want on his lot (most that are even close to the options I want have moon-roofs, which I won't have under any circumstances). At my age, I'm not going to settle for something I'm not mostly (within reason) satisfied with. That's the main reason I order every car I own (especially if the dealer is charging full sticker).

I really like MINI's. But too many dealers offer them at prices of "oners" or rare limited edition creations. They are special and unique w/ their appearance, but beyond that dealers have us in a loop of buying "high" and "selling" low.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:36 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Leasing Not the most economical way to go -- but you never lose that new car smell. Unless you lay on a lot of miles, leasing is great when the deal is done right. But, then there's the modification issue....

Best savings: Buy near-new CPO with warranty, keep forever

Next Best: Buy near-new CPO, drive a lot of miles but sell before warranty ends.

Next Best: Buy new after grinding out a good deal at a moment when there are good factory incentives and keep forever.

Next Best: Grind out a great deal and lease when there are good factory incentives and drive a new car every three years -- usually works well if you are less than 15K miles/year.

Worst: Buy new, sell soon thereafter, take big front-end depreciation hit.

Best of All -- Drive a MINI you love and don't worry too much about the deal because, pricey as they are, they are inexpensive compared to other highline performance cars that don't always deliver the same grins as a MINI.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:01 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Leasing Not the most economical way to go -- but you never lose that new car smell. Unless you lay on a lot of miles, leasing is great when the deal is done right. But, then there's the modification issue....

Best savings: Buy near-new CPO with warranty, keep forever

Next Best: Buy near-new CPO, drive a lot of miles but sell before warranty ends.

Next Best: Buy new after grinding out a good deal at a moment when there are good factory incentives and keep forever.

Next Best: Grind out a great deal and lease when there are good factory incentives and drive a new car every three years -- usually works well if you are less than 15K miles/year.

Worst: Buy new, sell soon thereafter, take big front-end depreciation hit.

Best of All -- Drive a MINI you love and don't worry too much about the deal because, pricey as they are, they are inexpensive compared to other highline performance cars that don't always deliver the same grins as a MINI.
I have to agree w/ your rankings. I'm not a high mileage driver, likely something in the vicinity or 8 to 12K at most.

I have to admit that I'm driving a 2017 M240i and enjoying it as much as the Mini (Mini is seeing more garage time since getting the Bimmer). Mini has kind of taken the C7's place as far as driving, becoming a garage queen. M40i certainly a more potent machine, lively and playful and still small and fun to drive. Pricing is about what I'd have spent for a Mini JCW Clubman ($46,100).

At my age, looking into getting something new w/ factory all coverage warranty each time I buy.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:40 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by USA-RET

At my age, looking into getting something new w/ factory all coverage warranty each time I buy.
Yessir.