F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 New version of vehicle software fixes Comfort Access bug

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:39 PM
perryinva
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New version of vehicle software fixes Comfort Access bug

I brought my 2016 Clubman in using a dealer offered 1 hour free diagnostic offer. Ironically, according to the dealership, loading the latest software in to your car is NOT covered under warranty, unless it address a specific issue you are having with your vehicle. In our case, the Drivers door Comfort Lock would not function correctly unless you unlocked the doors from inside BEFORE you exited. Then one touch of the button and all doors locked. If you forgot to do that, then pressing the button caused the locks to half heartedly try to lock, unless you pressed the button 3 or 4 times. When I showed this to the dealer, they agreed it was not normal, but since THAT particular issue was not listed as fixed in a software download, they would not perform that service without a charge! I made a rather loud "WTF" protest and they agreed to use the free diagnostic coupon to perform the software change. Which fixed the problem completely. It was 3 revisions newer than the one installed in my May of 2016 build! Who knows what else may have been remedied. Unfortunately, I swear the HK stereo now has less bass than before, but no way to prove it...

I guess I have to learn the ESYS software...

Old 11-17-2016, 03:25 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Pretty common among dealers - they will not perform an update unless there is something wrong with the car. Software updates can cause more problems than they solve and it's 3-4 hours of time in the shop minimum for the dealer. Some dealers are cooler about it than others (especially if they have lots of programming bays), others are pretty strict, but it's usually never free.

The comfort access behavior has been documented by MINI as "normal behavior" as in it functions the way it was designed (stupidly), though in July 2016 software and onwards, the CA system works the way we want it to.