Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Anyone put aftermarket HID/Xenon on thier 02-04 MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhubbard

Chances are it'll turn out just fine when you stick the H.I.D. bulbs in there and you'll probably get a decent cutoff..
People have posted pics of the cutoff....it's far from "decent"

But yah...you can "get away with it" if you're okay with the dimmer lights.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:43 PM
rhubbard
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never had H.I.D. bulbs in my car, but my cutoff from my 04 halogens is probably about as good as it gets for halogens, it just doesn't have the ultra sharp cutoff.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I've never had H.I.D. bulbs in my car, but my cutoff from my 04 halogens is probably about as good as it gets for halogens, it just doesn't have the ultra sharp cutoff.
yah....i guess you were the one that posted a pic of your cutoff in that thread. The pic of the HID's in halogen housings had an awful cutoff and bad glare compared to your pics.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
I love these threads because you can always predict what everyone is going to say and who is going to say it.

Chances are it'll turn out just fine when you stick the H.I.D. bulbs in there and you'll probably get a decent cutoff. And lastly, if you're smart enough to aim your headlights well you won't be blinding anyone. Good luck with the project and I may be following the same path to get more range of visibility with my headlights.
I know what this sounds like.. a bunch of snooty lighting geeks who think that everyone should do what they did. Well, your half right

Its just about not getting blinded. Have you ever driven behind someone with a kit? I do all the time, because we have some civic car clubs in my town.

Most of my friends who have done the drop in kits end up taking them out because they have to be aimed so low, all they do in light up the foreground 10' in front of your car.

Some cars work really well with drop in kits, and most dont. Coopers really dont do that well. I have pics to show if you'd like. In the end its up to you, but if I was getting ready to drop $150 on something that was going to yield bad results, I would appreciate some help. Besides, for only $30 more, you can get some projectors and have great results.

Seems like a no brainer.... but, to each his own

Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 AM
eeterp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by burley
Its just about not getting blinded. Have you ever driven behind someone with a kit? I do all the time, because we have some civic car clubs in my town.
x 1million
This happens to me daily. If it isn't some granny driving head-on with her brights on, it's some kid in a civic rocking some glare-tastic HIDs.

It's inconsiderate and dangerous to ride around blinding other drivers. Plus it looks silly unless you do it the right way.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to have your halogens, because mine are terrible. They have pretty much no cutoff,just blobs of light.

Anyways... it doesn't make sense that xenons would be any more decent in a halogen housing, than a hlogen bulb would be, other than the brightness of the light being emitted. The xenon isn't going to focus the same, because a halogen housing is designed with a halogen bulb in mind, and that the focal point of the bulb is in a particular spot, not to mention a halogen bulb's filament is on a completely different axis.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
If you're cutoff isn't clean, you may wanna try adjusting the aim on your headlights....they might be a bit off. My cutoff is generally pretty crisp

Originally Posted by Aeromax

Anyways... it doesn't make sense that xenons would be any more decent in a halogen housing, than a hlogen bulb would be, other than the brightness of the light being emitted. .
The bulb is a completely different length and shape.....so the light is hitting the reflector in a completely different way than the halogen bulb. This disturbs HOW the light is being emitted.....

Read here if you wanna understand why HID's work completely differently than halogens in halogen housings:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

a little snip of the article:
Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. How come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.
A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
That's pretty much what I meant. I've read daniel stern before, how do you think I know that xenons wouldn't work?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 PM
rhubbard
4th Gear
I was waiting for the Stern link to pop up, these threads are never complete without it.

And Aeromax, I never said anything about my lights having a sharper cutoff if I put HID bulbs in.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:27 PM
burley
6th Gear
I had the OEM xenons which were in reflector housings, and they were still pretty bad. I not a huge fan of any HIDs in reflector housings, OEM or not...

Old 11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I was waiting for the Stern link to pop up, these threads are never complete without it.
Yah....it only makes sense to post the results of scientific tests to prove your point. The funny thing is that the other side of the discussion relies on the argument "nuh uh, my HID's are fine with the halogen reflector housing"

Old 11-09-2007, 06:20 PM
burley
6th Gear
If you ask the same question time after time, it only makes sense that you get the same answer...

I agree that these threads all end up the same... The answer is going to be the same the first time it was asked, as well as the 35th

Old 11-12-2007, 05:58 AM
jrprich
3rd Gear

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36360

Here you go, 4 projectors for 30 bucks shipped. Cant beat that with a stick... There are 2 MDX HID projectors for sale and them a couple others that you can just sell or play with.

$30 Shipped.....
But they are Junk

pair of MDX projectors
modified to take D2S w/ bulbholders, these are well worn, the only thing that is in good condition are the lenses, they are from a RX330 non AFS. As for the rest of the projector the chrome inside has dulled, there is a tab cracked on one of the bowls, a few of the legs of the lens holders have broken and been rebuilt using JB weld, and the shields have been bent and modded more than a few times. As you can read from this description these are NOT in mint condition.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:19 AM
burley
6th Gear
Yeah, they are junk... But for this guy, whos clearly on a budget.. Like I said, even the worst projectors are better than a dropin kit any day.

If it were me, I would spend a few more bucks and get a set that wasn't so molested. I was just trying to prove a point that they could be cheap.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Yeah, they are junk... But for this guy, whos clearly on a budget.. Like I said, even the worst projectors are better than a dropin kit any day.
I was gonna say.....dropin kits in halogen housings are more JUNK than non-mint condition projectors

Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 AM
burley
6th Gear
Crappy $30 Abused HID projectors

HID Drop In Kit in Cooper halogen housing

hhmmmm ... Which one?

Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
That's odd... if I park my car that close to a wall and turn my lights on (i have halogens, 02-04 reflector housings of course) my lights show up as two round blobs, not as a rectangular cutoff like that... i wonder if something is wrong with my lights.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
That's odd... if I park my car that close to a wall and turn my lights on (i have halogens, 02-04 reflector housings of course) my lights show up as two round blobs, not as a rectangular cutoff like that... i wonder if something is wrong with my lights.
It sounds like your headlights are improperly aimed.....you should check this out: http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-...-PROCEDURE.pdf

Stock halogen headlights with halogen bulbs have a pretty good cutoff. I have an 02 with halogens and my cutoff is pretty nice. It's obviously not as crisp as a projector....but that's the nature of reflectors. Fixing your headlights should really help you see better during the night

Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 AM
burley
6th Gear

I get two round blobs when my DLRs are on... sure thats not it?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
I get two round blobs when my DLRs are on... sure thats not it?

No DLR's on the halogens.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:28 AM
rhubbard
4th Gear
My halogen cutoff...

Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 AM
burley
6th Gear
No DLR's on the halogens.
Are yours 02-04 or 05+ hals?

Last edited by burley; 11-12-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Are yours 02-04 or 05+ hals?
he said he's got 02-04 halogens....which is also what i have. No blobs here

Old 11-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
I figured it out- I changed my bulbs way back in maybe December of 2006. I just inspected them, and it turns out that my bulbs were seated wrong! Took them out, rotated them to their proper position, and voila- I have cutoff now! Amazing!

This just goes to show that if the filament isn't in exactly the right place in the reflector, then you will have really crappy light. No wonder I thought my headlights were so bad!

Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Hahahah well there ya go....glad you got that figured out

Quick Reply: Electrical Anyone put aftermarket HID/Xenon on thier 02-04 MCS?