Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Factory alarm v. Hornet 727t

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Factory alarm v. Hornet 727t

DEI makes the Hornet 727 (they make Clifford and Viper alarms). Great thing about it is that you don't need an extra key fob - it uses the Mini built-in keyless entry - it seems silly to have to have a separate remote to activate the alarm.

Plus, you can find it for around $70.

http://www.directed.com/security/hornet/horn_ke.asp

Anyone try this?

Old 08-12-2005, 12:11 AM
kbseto
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haven't tried the hornet specifically, but i have tried the viper alarms...the main complaint i have with my viper was the frequency of false alarms, ie. it will sound off with excessive vibrations, as that is how it guards your car. the shock sensors will detect glass breakage, bumps against your exterior, or even vibrations, ie. bass-blasting car stereos or the garbage truck or even harleys. yes, you can get it adjusted, but it is a pain to keep bringing it back to get it fine tuned, as it will change over time.

i like the oem alarm because it does not use the shock sensors, but instead uses motion and tilt sensors. virtually fool-proof i believe, as there are no false alarms with accidental bumps at the parking lot or with loud noises.

the trade-off is that you do get only minimal protection, if any, on the exterior, as the motion sensor only detects movement inside the car. of course, if you have the windows even partway down and someone walks by, it can sound off, possibly another negative if you wanna keep your car a bit ventilated during the summers.

but for $70, that sure sounds like a steal, as DEI is a pretty good company. + you get to use the factory key.