Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Problems Moving from the USA to the UK

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 08:22 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems Moving from the USA to the UK

So we moved from Connecticut, USA to Buckinghamshire in the UK I thought this would be fun and so far it's been nothing but one frustration after another.
The GOOD NEWS: My car was picked up on April 4th and was to be delivered to my new home in the UK the first week in May.
The BAD NEWS: I got a call from the shipper telling me the car got delayed in US Customs because they wouldn't release it, they needed to further inspect the car.
The GOOD NEWS: US Customs determined the car was not contraban and released it a few days later. :smile:
The BAD NEWS: The car missed the boat which meant another 4 weeks before delivery.
The GOOD NEWS: The car was finally delivered last week and it almost felt like getting a new car all over again cause I missed it for so long.:smile:
The BAD NEWS: The battery was so dead it needs replacing.
The GOOD NEWS: The Mini dealership is just 20 minutes from my house, when I lived in Connecticut the Mini dealer was an hour away.:smile:
The BAD NEWS: In the entire UK and throughout Europe there is not one single US spec battery . Forget the fact that Oxford where the Mini is produced is less than 50 miles from my new home . I know, I know the cars probably don't get fitted with batteries until they arrive in the USA.
The dealer checked the spec's and does not know why the US battery has a different sku number than the Euro battery even though the specifications are tha same. So he went ahead and ordered a battery for me and said as long as the physical dimensions don't prevent it from sitting in the boot it should be okay. It should be at the dealer on Tuesday.:smile:
The BAD NEWS: Since the battery is dead I cannot open the boot (trunk) to get the old battery out.
The GOOD NEWS: I figured out a way to access the battery from the inside of the car after removing the interior trunk cover and folding down the seats.:smile:
Question: Does anyone know how to open the trunk (Boot) when the battery is dead
Oh one more bone of contention, I found an empty bottle of Coke A Cola under the passenger seat, someone obviously had a meal and perhaps listened to the radio which could have added to the dead battery
The FINAL NEWS: Next week I get to go the UK version of the Motor Vehicle Bureau to get my car registered I cannot begn to think about how much fun that is going to be

Old 06-05-2005, 08:34 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa...9 s to only 5 :smile:s! Hopefully once you get through getting settled it'll be all:smile:s and even, looking back some s, although I'm sure there'll always be some s.....that's just the way moving seems to go in general.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:37 AM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
in the manual

I remember seeing something in the owners manual about an alternative access under the driver side rear seat maybe? Mines an 05 not sure if they are all the same.

If the answer doesn't appear in a while I'll go get my manual and look it up. (I'm at work so it isn't a 2 second trip to get....)

Old 06-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow!!! That is quite a story!!! And I believe you found the only way to access the battery.....Sorry you've had such a hard time so far. Hope things get better....

As for your trip to register the car, maybe you could check with the local dealership or other Americans over there that have had to experience this. It might set your mind at ease a bit before you go...:smile:

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven - burned up)
05' Cool Blue MCSC "Ariel"
05' HB/W MCS

Old 06-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Pamlico
3rd Gear
Pull the rear seat cushion up and you should see a cable with a ring on the end. Grab and pull the ring and the hatch should unlatch. This was not on the '02 models in which case you need to find someone to attach a set of jumper cables to your car which should allow you to release the electronic latch.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:57 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Thanks for the feedback people, the dealer did tell me about the cable under the rear seat but you are correct it does not exist for the 02 cars. I did manage to gain access and remove the battery without opening the trunk so atleast that problem is solved

Old 06-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Sarcux
6th Gear
I once accidentally shut the boot with the battery disconnected - so I put a battery charger on the remote terminal under the bonnet, and all the electronics fired up again so I could get in. Simple as that!

Didn't you have to get it switched to right hand drive? That's one of my concerns about bringing my car over there when I move across the pond.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:22 AM
MGear
5th Gear
I did manage to get to the battery without having to open the boot.

Regarding switching the orientation of the dashboard to right hand driving, no that is not necessary and would be cost prohibitive.

Things you do need to do:
1. Switch to UK spec headlamps, re-aiming is not an option so this could be pricey but must be done. I found a good deal on eBay for a replancement set of Zenon's.
2. Changing the color of the bulbs in the side external side lamps from the US spec of white to the British spec of orange, this cheap easy and quick.
3. Euro spec tires, the tires must be "Euro" rated that is they need a "Euro" symbol molded into the sidewall with all the other tire information. Tire Rack has a number of very nice options, Alex can help you out with choices. You can make this choice as cheap or costly as you want.

Also if your car is less than three years old you don't need to get an MOT inspection. Once the car is older than three years it does require MOT inspections but I am not sure how often. MOT inspection looks at all the items I mentioned above plus a number of other items that I am not familiar with yet

You can drive with your US plates for up to 6 months, it used to be 12 months but that recently changed.

Thursday this week I will try to get over to the Motor Vehicle Bureau where I am sure I will find out about another layer of "stuff" that needs to be done. Their web site is useless for giving information.

MGear

Old 06-06-2005, 12:37 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
You might try getting in touch with MINIangelD (Angel), last October she moved from Hawaii to England and shipped her MCS. She might be able to give you a heads-up on the MVB. I don't remember her needing to modify her car at all. Here's her last post on the Hawaii forum : https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=37524

Old 06-06-2005, 04:55 AM
Sarcux
6th Gear
I appreciate the feedback.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:58 PM
MGear
5th Gear
Thanks DaKineMini I will get in touch with her. Again cars that are less than 3 years old do not need to get an MOT inspection. If you don't need an MOT than you don't need to change the headlamps or the side directionals. But once your car is older than 3 years you do need to do cahnge that stuff. My car will be 3 years old on July 28 so technically I could get away with it until the next year when I would need to get the MOT inspection.

Thanks for the contact with MiniangleID I will see what she came up against!

Old 06-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Cooper_Ski
2nd Gear
I live in the UK w/ an US Spec MCS. I can try to answer some of your questions dealing w/ MOT and lighting issues.

MOT is done once a year as well as getting your Road Tax (6 months or 1 year). I bought my MCS through the military sales program, but I still had to adhere to the UK motor spec laws. I noticed you mentioned about replacing your lights. All US Spec Mini's as well as US spec car owners have a piece of tape on our headlights to change the beam pattern. I have an 05 model and I needed to swap out my tailights to comply w/ UK laws dealing w/ amber turn signals. I ended up paying 180 pounds ~$350 for two peices of tape and new set of tails.
I'm not sure if you have HID's or not, but I have been told that you must either use UK version HID lamps or go back to Halogen.
Have fun here in the UK, the mini crowd here is friendly and they do lots of runs. Although I did notice that you won't get friendly conversations w/ the original mini owners, for some reason they seem to hate us;LOL.