Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Auto Up Windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 09:22 AM
GrilleGuy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed 8.6.05 using NO TOOLS. I had the plug on the back of the toggle box shifted 2x but got it on the 3rd try. I also did the garage door switch so I don't have to look at the ridiculous looking cheesy door opener.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Mike in SC
1st Gear
Ditto on the easy install

maybe I have small hands, but used no tools and it worked great on the first install!

I love this feature!

Old 08-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
received mail around 1pm.. after the pull strip on the box malfunctioned I resorted to a sledgehammer to open it...just kidding I went to my knife and now at 1:19pm I am posting my wonderfule results with the WORLD! I got a few plastic scrapes but I will live to motor again! I love it! I ordered it late Tuesday, 11:41pm to be exact, and Installing it Friday (today). It has made my day! Thank you for producing such a wonderful add-on and such professional service!

-Josh

I got a red dot on his map!

Old 08-12-2005, 05:47 PM
muppetmandan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
My '03 Audi A6 has auto up on all 4 windows. My family's collection of various MBs all have auto ups. Not sure what safety issue there is. Obviously it has been resolved satisfactory on other makes/models.
Here's how the "safety law" works. If a car has a certain type of window switch, it will alow the auto up. For example my wife's 04 nissan altima has auto up, but it's because of the type of button that is used for the window. A car is only aloud to have auto up if you have to "lift" the switch to roll them up, not "push" it.

So if a child or animal was to be leaning out of the window and step on the switch, it would not go up as to choke them.

So if you are following law the mini switch should fall in to regulation, but speaking with my dealer he told me that it isn't an option in the US (it is in UK) because this country is to happy to start a law suit for any reason so they left it out.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:57 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by muppetmandan
Here's how the "safety law" works. If a car has a certain type of window switch, it will alow the auto up. For example my wife's 04 nissan altima has auto up, but it's because of the type of button that is used for the window. A car is only aloud to have auto up if you have to "lift" the switch to roll them up, not "push" it.

So if a child or animal was to be leaning out of the window and step on the switch, it would not go up as to choke them.

So if you are following law the mini switch should fall in to regulation, but speaking with my dealer he told me that it isn't an option in the US (it is in UK) because this country is to happy to start a law suit for any reason so they left it out.
YOu are absolutely right. Therefore, I am starting a class action law suit against BMW and MINIUSA for their obvious discrimenatory practices against the citizens of this country. And wait till I get a hold of the Patriot Act.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:03 PM
BRGminiS
2nd Gear
Still waiting for my shippment to arrive....

Old 08-12-2005, 06:10 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by muppetmandan

This is not correct - you are getting two different issues confused.

MANUAL UP switches can no longer be pushed down to go up; some older cars have switches which you push down to close the window, and a child could do this - as the window closes their weight leaves them still pushing down ... a window switch which must be lifted up solves this issue.

Totally separate is auto up windows - if a manufacturer provides this feature, they want to also be sure to have a window closure mechanism which is sensitive enough to detect something trapped in the window, and release it.
The MINI does not have sensitive window motors ...

Old 08-12-2005, 06:14 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BRGminiS
Still waiting for my shippment to arrive....
Sorry

Canada ...

Old 08-12-2005, 07:19 PM
muppetmandan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
... a window switch which must be lifted up solves this issue...
Thats EXACTLY what i said......

Old 08-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Totally separate is auto up windows - if a manufacturer provides this feature, they want to also be sure to have a window closure mechanism which is sensitive enough to detect something trapped in the window, and release it.
The MINI does not have sensitive window motors ...
Short version...

The only limit switch for the window closing on the MINI is a (high) current sense when the window reaches the frame and stalls - the power generated is much too high to be considered "pinch protection" ... I don't believe it would be enough to break bones, but I don't fancy putting my arm in there and testing it.

Perhaps the '07 redesign will have a more sensitive window, with pinch protection - only if that occurs will auto-up be available from the factory, in USA.
longer better version taken from the 1st page of text!

oh yea and I did a blind install... with large hands but I have long fingers so my hands didnt go far in...beeeeeeeeeeeutiful little device!

-Josh

Old 08-12-2005, 10:51 PM
BRGminiS
2nd Gear
Sorry

Canada ...
ya.. I send you a email about the late shippment...

I love this little mod

Old 09-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Cadbury
2nd Gear
I just installed my Autoup circuit, and I am SO impressed with myself!!

I have never installed anything in a car - ok, well maybe an air filter or 2...
The instructions were GREAT - I have an '05 and I did the "blind" install. I supposed having a small body and small hands helps.

I was really nervous, imagining myself with a car that has doors that won't unlock and windows that won't open, imagining having to get out of my door to swipe my card through the work garage entry... but none of that!!! It worked perfectly the first time, I didn't have to redo anything!!

Therefore, I am posting a HUGE recommendation for teh auto up circuit and especially GBMINI's instructions for the install!!

Old 09-05-2005, 12:49 AM
meballard
1st Gear
I absolutely love the circuit, but does anyone know how after the last time I took my MINI in for service they managed to turn off the auto up feature?

I am so incredibly used to the auto up it really bothered me that it wasn't working (and hoped there wasn't another reason that it wasn't working other than it was somehow disabled), and had to look up how to re-enable the function (since I only had to do it the first time after I installed it). I absolutely love the circuit and find it difficult to live without (it's amazing how much of a difference the little things make).

Old 09-08-2005, 08:31 PM
m332is
3rd Gear
Got the auto up w/ DSC track mode today and installed it today in my 05 MCS using the blind method... took longer to open the box and read the instruction than complete the project. This is a great feature which should have been this way from the factory!!!

Great product, great instructions! If you don't have one yet... buy it!

Old 09-09-2005, 06:10 AM
danielg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by m332is
Got the auto up w/ DSC track mode today and installed it today in my 05 MCS using the blind method... took longer to open the box and read the instruction than complete the project. This is a great feature which should have been this way from the factory!!!

Great product, great instructions! If you don't have one yet... buy it!
ditto on everything he said (2 thumbs up). Thanks Ian.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:38 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
My Auto-Up/DSC/AFF setup yeterday. I'll probably install it later today before I head up to Summit Point for the Saturday MINI of Towson Driving School.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:01 AM
TrippleBeem
3rd Gear
Got mine today! IAN YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

Is this really your last run of this product?

Who will be taking over after you?

PM ME!

RYan

Old 09-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TrippleBeem
Got mine today! IAN YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

RYan
Last run? I ordered one last night, I hope I haven't missed the boat!

Came in today and I installed it in about 30 to 40 minutes. It's terrific!

Old 09-09-2005, 11:39 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by meballard
I absolutely love the circuit, but does anyone know how after the last time I took my MINI in for service they managed to turn off the auto up feature?

I am so incredibly used to the auto up it really bothered me that it wasn't working (and hoped there wasn't another reason that it wasn't working other than it was somehow disabled), and had to look up how to re-enable the function (since I only had to do it the first time after I installed it). I absolutely love the circuit and find it difficult to live without (it's amazing how much of a difference the little things make).
They probably disconnected the battery to apply an update to the car's computer. Sometimes the auto-up will forget its settings when power is removed. Certainly nothing to worry about.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:05 PM
yellow2black
2nd Gear
Just ordered one before he reaches 1k mark. Can't wait to install it on my MCS.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:44 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Yes.
Too much time, not enough fun doing them now ...

Who will be taking over after you?

If someone wants to make their own, the design is available

Old 09-16-2005, 05:59 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
Auto up ?

Since my Mini was purchased in Germany, US specs, does this mean that I might already have "auto up" on mine?

Old 09-17-2005, 10:59 AM
bolar
3rd Gear
Ian, this thing is great ! Thanks!!

Originally Posted by MGMRAM
Since my Mini was purchased in Germany, US specs, does this mean that I might already have "auto up" on mine?
MGMRAM there is no telling what they may program in yours. I purchased my MCS U.S. spec from an Italian dealer and auto up was not there. I did though, get the elusive first-aid kit and warning triangle not available in the States .

Old 09-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
I've got mine sitting in the box right on my desk.... I was ready to install in my 04 but it looks like an 06 may be heading my waiy instead... I really, really hope it works and the installation is the same.

If anyone tries it out, please post and let us know.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Got it today ... installed in 5 minutes!

Well, my circuit arrived today and after looking over the instructions, I did a blind install on my brand new '05 MCS. Opened the trim piece (didn't remove it, just opened it) and reached my hands up and disconnected the original connector from the back of the toggle panel. Plugged the new circuit into the back of the toggle panel and plugged the original connector into the new circuit. Tested it ... it worked. Program the auto-up and ... that's it! 5 minutes later, I have auto up windows! It was literally THAT easy.

Ian, thank you so much!

BTW, as of 9/16/05, 928 out of 1,000 were sold. They're running out fast!

Quick Reply: Electrical Auto Up Windows