Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Driving Lights On Constantly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 07:50 PM
nobbyv
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Lights On Constantly?

Sorry if this is a newb question, but my girlfriend just picked up a sweet '03 MCS. She was dissapointed to learn that the optional driving lights only come on when the high beams are activated. I have two questions:
1) Can the lights be modified to come on when the regular lights are on?
2) If possible, is this advisable, or are they too bright and are going to be blinding oncoming traffic?
Thanks!
Josh

Old 05-02-2005, 07:58 AM
vagt6
2nd Gear
The driving lamps should only be used with high beams, at night, when there is no oncoming traffic at all.

The driving lamp beam is very concentrated and may blind oncoming drivers at great distance, as much as a mile away or more. It only takes a second to temporarily blind someone with auxillary lamps, which can have tragic consequences. It's also illegal in some areas to use them in other than nighttime conditions.

Same for fog lamps, use only in FOGGY weather conditions.

It is not cool looking to use these lamps for purposes other than their intended use (i.e., fog lamps for FOG; driving lamps at NIGHT with no oncoming traffic) simply because some twit may think they look "cool". It is dangerous, illegal, totally discourteous, and frankly, displays the driver's ignorance of the above problems (thus, making the driver look stupid, not cool!).

It's also the reason why your MINI's driving lamps only work with high beams.

I've cleaned up the blood and carnage from wrecks caused by blinding lamps used this way (volunteer on local rescue squad). Trust the above statements.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:05 AM
nobbyv
1st Gear
vagt6,
Thanks for the reply. I suspected as much, as evidenced by question two. Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2005, 06:59 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
.......although the fog lamps do help when driving at nite to illuminate the sides of the road better (as long as they are aimed correctly).

Old 05-02-2005, 07:13 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nobbyv
Sorry if this is a newb question, but my girlfriend just picked up a sweet '03 MCS. She was dissapointed to learn that the optional driving lights only come on when the high beams are activated. I have two questions:
1) Can the lights be modified to come on when the regular lights are on?
2) If possible, is this advisable, or are they too bright and are going to be blinding oncoming traffic?
Thanks!
Josh
Tell her she should feel free to do it... Provided she plans to either only drive the car during the day or only drive the car in areas where she couldn't ever possibly encounter another human being...

If either you or her are convinced that this is a good idea, one night in your driveway start up the car. Have her stand in front of the car when you turn on the brights, and then turn on the driving lights... Then switch places with her. You'll both understand immediately why their configured the way they are...

Old 05-03-2005, 09:05 AM
vagt6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
.......although the fog lamps do help when driving at nite to illuminate the sides of the road better (as long as they are aimed correctly).
Sorry, but properly aimed fog lamps project a beam slightly off to the side and roughly six feet in front of the car. If they're projecting significantly farther than that, they're not properly aimed. There's no way such lighting can help at highway speeds, six feet goes by very fast!

And yes, fog lamps are very intense and can temporarily blind some drivers, no matter how carefully they're aimed. For instance, some folks who've had cataract surgery or other visual problems (and may legally drive) find fog lamps painful and blinding. Again, it only takes a second to blind someone. This is one of the reasons why they're termed FOG LAMPS. Use only in foggy condition, they are not intended to "light up the side of the road". Cornering lamps do that. If you need cornering lamps, fit some to your car but don't use fog lamps to illuminate the ditches.

Please use auxillary lamps (i.e., fog, driving, off-road) for their intended purpose only. It's about courtesy and safety.

That's all!