Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical R53 Keyless Entry & Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
R53 Keyless Entry & Start

Folks,

My girlfriend has a new Subaru, and of course one of the features she got is a keyless entry and start system where the key stays in your pocket, you walk up to the car, when you touch the handle to open the door it unlocks. Once you're in, you step on the brake and press the start button to start it. After driving her car for a few days, I got really attached to the feature and it got me wondering if it was something that was possible with my R53 Mini.

After literally minutes of searching here (and finding tons of posts about R56 Minis), I didn't find any posts about folks installing such a system on an R53. Searching the web, I found a couple of aftermarket systems that suggest that it's possible, but I'm wondering if you fine folks have a recommendation to make or experience to share?

I'm looking forward to your sage advice.

Cheers,
Duane

Old 09-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Wondering whether some type of bluetooth interface via the radio AUX plug could work. Would think there would have to be a relay to the BCM that controls the locking.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
These were the ones I found that looked plausible:

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/auto...ess-go-systems

https://advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html

Cheers,
Duane