Electrical No Start, No Joy

Old 06-26-2017, 06:31 PM
HolyRoller
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No Start, No Joy

Last week when I tried to start my 2013 R60 after it sat in the garage for about two hours, there was absolutely no response. The radio played, the windows rolled down, but no crank. About two hours later the problem vanished like it had never happened. For the next week there would be moments when if the key fob was not clicked into place slowly and smoothly the same would happen, but ejecting the key fob then re-engaging it (slowly and smoothly) got everything started. Two days ago, after sitting for about three hours outside--nothing. Nada. No start, though the radio played and the windows rolled down (which is a problem because they will not roll back up).
The Mini dealer found that both key fobs are good, but the device that reads the keys is not working and needs to be replaced. It's a special order for the part which costs around $530.00, and will involve about $1400.00 labor.
My question is: Does this sound legit?

Old 06-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Did they test the battery? I'd want to know the results of that first or have it tested elsewhere. If that device is bad, probably save some money with and Independent MINI mechanic.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
probably save some money with and Independent MINI mechanic.
+1 absolutely. At the nominal fee of $80 an hour that comes to just over 17 hours of labor...no bloody way! They can swap out the engine and gearbox and polish the shift **** in that amount of time.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:07 AM
HolyRoller
Neutral
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Did they test the battery? I'd want to know the results of that first or have it tested elsewhere. If that device is bad, probably save some money with and Independent MINI mechanic.
The tow driver tried first to start the car with a jump, and his meter showed the battery is fine. The dealer says the same.
A bit more info: I first had the car towed to Firestone, the only place open at 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon. Their diagnostics found no problems and surmised that for an unknown reason the ignition system is not responding to the key fob. Had it towed 20 miles to the Mini dealer whose diagnostics also found only that the system is not "reading" the key fobs (I put both keys in their care).
I am awaiting a list of parts ordered and estimate from the dealer, though one part that was ordered required a copy of my registration and driver license to complete.
If I knew a better place to have it towed in the Knoxville or Blount County TN area I would consider that option.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:00 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
https://www.minirepairshops.com/sear...xsvill%2C%20tn
If the key fobs are bad and have to be replaced, proof of ownership; i.e. registration and DL are required. (had to replace one of my keys once.)

Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Might be a mute point, but have the engine and battery ground points been checked? Loose grounds have been known to cause problems. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 AM
HolyRoller
Neutral
Except, according to the dealer , the key fobs are are good. What's being ordered is:
B1MISA-Control Unit CAS $492.01
MI-Flat Cable 30.59

Then an estimate of $2395.09 in labor and diagnostics.

I'm sending a request for clarification to MINI USA.

Search this Thread