Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Wiring for DRL

Old 06-19-2017, 10:02 PM
cynephoba
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring for DRL

Hi,
I've recently purchased a second hand 2011 R56. The previous owner has the angel eye headlights installed (similar to these https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/699909_x800.jpg ) but has them wired up to the position lights (parkers or whatever they're called - the ones above the fog lights). So they both turn on at the same time with one click of the light stalk.

I'm wondering if there's a wiring guide that would let me have these enabled as DRL? Whether there's a trigger wire somewhere for the car being 'on' that I can use to trip a relay, or something similar. I know you can get the DRL fog light replacements and they come with a module that jacks into the ECU, but I don't need the half/full features like it has - i'm just looking for a way to know that the car is on/off and be able to turn the lights on accordingly. (Perhaps even turn on with unlock like the position lights do).

Old 06-20-2017, 03:56 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
If you just want them to turn on anytime the ignition is on, you can always use the cigarette lighter to provide trigger voltage to a relay and then get your primary power for the lights from the under hood fuse box.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:35 PM
fonseca
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Carly for BMW app will let you set the position lights as DRL (instead of the headlights). This is what I did, so when I start the car the position lights are always on. Since I have the LED DRLs built in to the aftermarket headlights wired to these, they are also always on.

Search this Thread