Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical OEM Xenon to LED?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:56 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
OEM Xenon to LED?

I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the factory xenon bulb with an H7 LED. The factory pre-facelift xenons don't really throw a lot of light and they're very white, not much blue in them. The LEDs I have in my fog lights and front markers are 6000k, which is a white with a slight blue tint that I think looks great. I've also got some 6000k high beams/DRLs on the way. I'd like to get some LED low beams to match them, but I don't know if it's possible to do with the pre-facelift xenons.
  1. I know the pre-facelift headlight lenses are reflectors, doesn't this pose problems with light scattering improperly?
  2. I think HIDs in reflector lenses were required to have a leveling system to keep them out of people's eyes. Will this system still function with a different bulb?
  3. Can the ballast/xenon ignition system be removed without any extra coding or modules to replace it?

Old 08-19-2017, 08:35 PM
ursmokd
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dammit. I was hoping someone would have commented on this. I want to put LED's in my stock HID locations. But a) not sure what the socket D2R resembles, and b) want to make sure it fits and lights properly. Did you end up converting it to LED?

Old 08-19-2017, 09:08 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ursmokd
Dammit. I was hoping someone would have commented on this. I want to put LED's in my stock HID locations. But a) not sure what the socket D2R resembles, and b) want to make sure it fits and lights properly. Did you end up converting it to LED?
H7 is the bulb type. I have not done anything yet. I think I'll just end up retrofitting the facelift xenon assemblies and doing an LED bulb in those. But that's pretty low priority.