Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Repurposing panel switch to control relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:15 PM
na8flush
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repurposing panel switch to control relay

Tried searching for this, but I've mostly only come across threads of people wiring up the rear fog lights.

Instead of that, I'm looking to repurpose the rear fog light switch (I've got the 6 switch panel) to turn on auxiliary driving lights via a relay. I've yet to dig into the wiring diagrams yet, just wondering if anyone has done this before.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The switch panel's connector doesn't have separate lines for each switch. The toggles aren't traditional mechanical switches. They are simply levers that press on capacitive pads on a circuit board. When a switch is pressed, the action is translated to a message that is transmitted on the data bus, and another module connected to the bus detects the message and performs the function.

It is difficult to repurpose a switch, but you might be able to drill out an unused one and install a standard switch in its place. Here are pictures of inside the switch panel: https://margaretandian.com/2005/04/2..._switch_panel/

Last edited by rkw; 03-08-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:21 AM
na8flush
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I figured they weren't mechanical switches and I wasn't going to be modifying it at the circuit board level. I was thinking of tapping into the back of the wiring harness, but didn't realize it's sending a message the to data bus, I thought it would just be a straight wire to the relay.