Electrical Countryman 25w Xenon Upgrade For R60/R62

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:53 AM
jing_jing
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw a post in facebook talking about this "BMWhat" app:
http://www.ivini-apps.com/coding.html

Does it help for the full-function coding?

Old 03-02-2015, 07:10 PM
a2oc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jing_jing
Just saw a post in facebook talking about this "BMWhat" app:
http://www.ivini-apps.com/coding.html

Does it help for the full-function coding?
You are more likely to get it done by ncsexpert, that app is more like coding the small stuffs,not the retrofit codings.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:45 AM
jing_jing
Neutral
Originally Posted by a2oc
You are more likely to get it done by ncsexpert, that app is more like coding the small stuffs,not the retrofit codings.
thanks a2oc! just wonder if, without dealership coding, can ncsexpert work out the full function of the retrofit bi-xenon, especially keeping hi-beam on? becoz i'm not in the US which dealership coding isn't available here.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:09 AM
a2oc
3rd Gear
the ncsexpert will work, where are you located in? Is urs a US spec car with US spec lights or you got the rest of the world spec car with the US lights? As I did my US spec pre lci R56 with the US spec 25w xenon coding by myself. I've got the same problem that the hi beam cannot turn on, but the flasher works. I think I change PWM_FL_BEI_BIXENON line to wert_01 and some other lines to keep the strobe off and high beam on.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:50 PM
jing_jing
Neutral
the ncsexpert will work, where are you located in? Is urs a US spec car with US spec lights or you got the rest of the world spec car with the US lights? As I did my US spec pre lci R56 with the US spec 25w xenon coding by myself. I've got the same problem that the hi beam cannot turn on, but the flasher works. I think I change PWM_FL_BEI_BIXENON line to wert_01 and some other lines to keep the strobe off and high beam on.
my location is hong kong. i think the car spec is euro spec. it seems that the retrofit kit is much better price than buying each component. but the concern is whether the retrofit kit is working well on my r60 or not.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:14 AM
a2oc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jing_jing
my location is hong kong. i think the car spec is euro spec. it seems that the retrofit kit is much better price than buying each component. but the concern is whether the retrofit kit is working well on my r60 or not.
Technically you can do it to your car (TECHNICALLY), but I got some bad news for you. I don't think you can do this retrofit in HK for now. As the 25w retrofit kit is only avaliable for LHD traffic only. Just checked with realoem.com and there's no part no. for RHD countryman or paceman. Not sure if mini will release a kit for RHD R6x cars in the future or not. Because for the R5x cars, they did a version for RHD cars. Maybe you need to wait for for now until they do the RHD version (for the sake of passing your vehicle inspection or even road safety as it will not lit up the place it should be, caused by wrong beam pattern(like when there's a oncoming traffic which is a mainland china registered car, you will notice a significant glare with their low beams as they are LHD). Are you sure u need those xenons in HK? there's so many street lights in there, no even a mile of road doesnt come with lights and I saw taxi drivers dont turn on their lights in the night a few year ago in order to 'save fuel' . lol I knew that coz I came from HK, but living in US now. Hope the news doesnt ruin your mood too much.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:15 AM
jing_jing
Neutral
Technically you can do it to your car (TECHNICALLY), but I got some bad news for you. I don't think you can do this retrofit in HK for now. As the 25w retrofit kit is only avaliable for LHD traffic only. Just checked with realoem.com and there's no part no. for RHD countryman or paceman. Not sure if mini will release a kit for RHD R6x cars in the future or not. Because for the R5x cars, they did a version for RHD cars. Maybe you need to wait for for now until they do the RHD version (for the sake of passing your vehicle inspection or even road safety as it will not lit up the place it should be, caused by wrong beam pattern(like when there's a oncoming traffic which is a mainland china registered car, you will notice a significant glare with their low beams as they are LHD). Are you sure u need those xenons in HK? there's so many street lights in there, no even a mile of road doesnt come with lights and I saw taxi drivers dont turn on their lights in the night a few year ago in order to 'save fuel' . lol I knew that coz I came from HK, but living in US now. Hope the news doesnt ruin your mood too much.
Thanks a2oc for your taking care of my mood...hahaha! I got what you meant and I knew the problem of light shade before. But MINI just haven't released the retrofit kit for RHD R60! In HK, there are some shops do headlight modifications. One of their service is changing LHD light shade to RHD. So it won't be a problem. Actually, I'm interested to the look of xenons more than its function. In HK, xenon light is not available for some versions of R60. The only dealer, MINI HK, just don't provide such option even you are willing to pay for it before or after you get the car. Of course, R60ers here can buy all the components of xenon head light and be upgraded by some garages out there. However, just the price of a pair of normal chrome xenon housing only, is more expensive than the all-included retrofit kit. Thus, purchasing the LHD retrofit kit plus RHD light shade modification would be way cheaper than doing it in the normal way. That's why I asked for the experts here

btw, maybe the situation is better nowadays that most of the taxi drivers turn on the big head light at night. but it is so true that many drivers here rarely use the turn signal. coz when you put the turn signal on before you change the lane, the driver at the next lane would accelerate to prevent you block his way. Especially for the commercial cars like taxi and minibus. Driving in the down town of HK is really a great "fun".

Old 03-05-2015, 01:58 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yea, I dont see a kit for the RHD cars. They would have the cutoff at a slight left hand side lift or the projection would be focus fliped from the US ones liked above.

Check in your country for 63102289648 & 63102289649 / 63102289646 & 63102289647 HK get weird MINI only part numbers. I don't know if they were even approved for HK. Let us know if you find the HK part number. They need to be euro RHD ones.

Might just be able to get the US ones and flip the interior flap ( cutoff ) with a little surgery. Good luck.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63102289650KT/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 03-05-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:23 PM
jing_jing
Neutral
ECSTuning, thanks for your info! It's true that only LHD retrofit kit is found for R60. The surgery stuff can be done by headlight modification workshop. The issue I concerned the most is the coding.

I found a part number "63120038636" called "Set masking foil f headlight" in realoem.com. Is it the interior flap that you mentioned in your previous post?

I just think of an alternative way -- buy the cheaper R56 xenon retrofit kit and a pair of R60 RHD xenon housing. Then move the components from the R56 kit to R60 RHD xenon housing. Just don't know if the components of R56 retrofit kit are same as R60 retrofit kit. Do you think this way would work?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:07 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
63120038636 , those look headlight foils for certain cutoffs for halogen lights ( must paste on the outside lens or something , must be a euro or japan/ Australia thing ?

For vehicles with
Xenon Light = No
and
Adaptive Headlights = No
S522A=No

S524A=No

Dont know about the R56 to R60 transplant, that seems like allot of work. The housing are a bit different in construction ( see pics ). I thin best bet is to get the US ones , surgery the flap swap and then work on coding for Xenon headlights , is this thread and other is aftermarket coding procedures. Your in HK , i am sure there are some car shops that have the BMW / MINI coding units. Good luck.

Also post up some pics of your MINI in HK .

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-17-2015, 12:06 AM
shdwkeeper
1st Gear
Love to know what you changed to keep your high-beams on, my flash to pass works but high-beams turn my lights off.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:13 AM
a2oc
3rd Gear
I think i change pwm_fl_bei_bixenon from wert_02 to wert_01 and disable the check control for high beam (bulb monitoring for hi beam need to be disabled too)

Old 01-07-2016, 09:10 AM
maktub
Neutral
Hello fellow Mini drivers!

Newb here...

I've scoured the forums for information for several hours, and this HID retrofit is confusing me! Please, if anyone can answer these questions, I would be eternally grateful.

1. It seems like people have taken many different roads to the halogen to HID upgrade. Some have retrofitted aftermarket DYI parts, some have done the same with OEM takeoffs, and this thread seems to be about using a newer OEM kit. All the different procedures have somewhat melted my brain.

What will I need to do a retrofit to this OEM HID kit? Other threads talk about ballasts, controllers, and such. Is this kit all inclusive? Do I buy the HID kit (https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...0KT/ES2807153/), install it (plug and play), and just get the computer coded by a dealer? Or are there ballasts, controllers, bulbs, wiring harnesses, and other parts I will need?

2. ECS sells "bi-xenon" housings (https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2015-...hts/ES2578780/). The ones I linked to in question 1 don't have "bi-xenon" in the name, so are they actually bi-xenon? Folks in this thread seem to indicate that they are.

Many thanks, and please forgive my ignorance.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:16 AM
maktub
Neutral
Originally Posted by maktub
Hello fellow Mini drivers!

Newb here...

I've scoured the forums for information for several hours, and this HID retrofit is confusing me! Please, if anyone can answer these questions, I would be eternally grateful.

1. It seems like people have taken many different roads to the halogen to HID upgrade. Some have retrofitted aftermarket DYI parts, some have done the same with OEM takeoffs, and this thread seems to be about using a newer OEM kit. All the different procedures have somewhat melted my brain.

What will I need to do a retrofit to this OEM HID kit? Other threads talk about ballasts, controllers, and such. Is this kit all inclusive? Do I buy the HID kit (https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...0KT/ES2807153/), install it (plug and play), and just get the computer coded by a dealer? Or are there ballasts, controllers, bulbs, wiring harnesses, and other parts I will need?

2. ECS sells "bi-xenon" housings (https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2015-...hts/ES2578780/). The ones I linked to in question 1 don't have "bi-xenon" in the name, so are they actually bi-xenon? Folks in this thread seem to indicate that they are.

Many thanks, and please forgive my ignorance.
After carefully re-reading the thread, I think the answer to question 1 is "Yes, plug and play, no other parts needed. Just get it coded by a dealer". And question 2 is "They are bi-xenon, even though the name does not say bi-xenon".

Please confirm, if anyone can.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
The factory upgrade kit from Halogen headlights, Its Bi Xenon , updated the heading.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63102289650KT/

"Yes, plug and play, no other parts needed. Just get it coded by a dealer" Yes ^^

----------------------------

63129808271 Bi xenon also. But..

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2015-...hts/ES2578780/

That is for the replace of te factory ordered xenons, not a retrofit for halogen models.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:45 AM
osinkboy
2nd Gear
I can vouch for step 1, as that is what I did.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by maktub
After carefully re-reading the thread, I think the answer to question 1 is "Yes, plug and play, no other parts needed. Just get it coded by a dealer". And question 2 is "They are bi-xenon, even though the name does not say bi-xenon".

Please confirm, if anyone can.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:15 PM
maktub
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
The factory upgrade kit from Halogen headlights, Its Bi Xenon , updated the heading.
Thank you! I had emailed my brother (who also has a CMS4) earlier about the halogen to xenon kit. Before I saw these responses, I clicked on the link in my email, only to find out that it does say "Bi-Xenon". I did a double take, and thought I was going crazy. Haha

Thank you for the prompt response! I understand now.

Originally Posted by osinkboy
I can vouch for step 1, as that is what I did.

Good luck!
Thank you! I'm so relieved that this is so easy to do now. I can't wait to get mine done.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:03 PM
PureWorks
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Can I make the assumption if you buy a pair from a wrecked car, that you can also retrofit with dealer coding?

Old 01-15-2016, 05:00 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
If its the 25w kit above, then yes. Otherwise the Xenon 35w regular headlight from halogens , on the halogen MINI dont have the front and rare levelers on the suspension or set up for the active lighting option where the headlights turn with the wheel . On top of programming, so you have some hurtles.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:53 AM
Cmv138
2nd Gear
Can OEM AHL be used only as high and low beams and not the feature that turns with the steering wheel? I got a set of AHL and been digging around the forums for the mod.

I was wondering if I need this piece if I only want the high and low beams? Any help is appreciated

Old 03-01-2016, 05:54 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I would install them, easy check.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 AM
shdwkeeper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper
Love to know what you changed to keep your high-beams on, my flash to pass works but high-beams turn my lights off.
I took a break from dealing with this for a while. But, does anyone have their high-beams working when pushing the lever (flash to pass lever) forward, mine only working when pulling the lever backward and holding it, when locking my high-beams to the on position (pushing lever forward) all my headlights turn off.

Any ideas?

Old 05-10-2016, 10:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Did you have them flashed / coded by the dealership and you are running the factory retrofit ?

Old 05-10-2016, 11:08 AM
shdwkeeper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Did you have them flashed / coded by the dealership and you are running the factory retrofit ?
Running factory retrofit that I bought from ECSTuning. I coded all of this myself, everything works except the high-beams staying on, not like I use them all the time in the on position but it would be nice to get that resolved.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:14 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the order, since this has not been talked about for a while.

Either the line code was wrong or you have a pinout mis-connection. Check the connection. Check the line code. I would reprogram, last but not least you would have to go to a dealership and have it re-flashed by MINI. That way it can work as planed.

Quick Reply: Electrical Countryman 25w Xenon Upgrade For R60/R62