Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical D2R to LED swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:19 AM
heavy18
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D2R to LED swap?

I have a passenger HID that is in and out. Haven't had a chance to swap the ballasts to check that yet, but due to the intermittent nature of the light functioning, I have to believe it is the ignitor going bad. I can't find a decent ignitor source online so I've been considering the '05 housing swap... but that is pricey (~$400-500 for used).

So why not swap in some LED bulbs for $120? If forum users here can go from HID to Halogen by just swapping the housings, why not just throw in LED bulbs in my HID housings and be done with it?

What I can't figure out is which bulbs will fit. Searching for D2R LED comes up with nada... But JC whitney calls out the HID bulb type as "HB5." Googling "HB5 LED" generates TONS of results, with a cross-reference to "9007".

Will these HB5/9007 LED bulbs fit in my housings? Has anyone made the swap???
(I have searched this forum and Google and found nothing on this - perhaps my search skills are not as ninja as I thought...)

Old 03-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Idoitforthegas
1st Gear
I would say contact DDM tunning, they work with HID and LED conversions for many different applications. I asked about an LED conversion for the High Beams but they said thus far they have burnt, melted or broken all applications. I didn't ask about the low beams though.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:12 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Think if you want a led conversion....you need a new housing...
No way to attatch a headsink of any size of any to a led bulb conversion kit...
High wattage LEDs made a pretty decent amount of heat....the heat shortens the LEDs life..
The add that an array of LEDs is used... As opposed to a single light source...means converting a housing is foolhardy.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:20 PM
heavy18
1st Gear
Quick follow-up on this: I reached out to a few LED vendors and everyone said you can't do it with the factory HID Housing.

The ballast turned out to be fine so the issue has to be ignitor related... I was either going to break open the housing to replace the ignitor or upgrade to the 2005-7 housings with the external ingitor. I really wasn't excited about either option...

Last week my battery finally died - it was the original BMW battery and 12 years old! I wanted to get a good replacement so I opted for an AGM and now both headlights work every time. The only thing I can come up with is the ignitor is degrading, but with a good strong initial hit (from a fresh battery) it still works fine.

Seems weird, but at least I'll pass inspection.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:14 AM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
One of my potential "down the road" plans once I get my build finished, tuned, and complete the interior of the car is to make a complete set of headlamps for the car with Bi-LED projectors in them.

using these

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...bi-led-module/

and orange light rope for the turn signals.

Possibly adding in a 55w HID flood light as well (built-in light bar status! )

Will be buying a basic housing off ebay, removing the lenses, and gutting the inside and making all of the mount bracketry, electrical, and shrouding from scratch