Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical I think I found a stop watch function in the Mission Control program. Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Step
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I found a stop watch function in the Mission Control program. Help needed!

For those that don't know MINI came out with a "Special Edition" MINI a few years ago called the Camden. Apart from a unique color scheme there was a special feature known as Mission control.
Essentially it was an on-board computer that used basic look up commands to initiate a verbal response to given actions in the car. I.E. if you leave the hand brake up when you drive away it warns you with a comment along the lines of "please release the handbrake if you want to motor on". The idea was good, but poorly executed and was a massive failure.
However since it came out I have been toying with the idea of "modding" the system. So for ***** and giggles, I purchased the retrofit kit and started toying around. The actual "sound file modding" seems rather simple considering that the program uses a readily accessible SD car with all of the responses on the card it self. All you have to do is modify the sound files to your liking. For instance instead of "LEEEETS MINI" when you turn the igntion on, I could record a voice saying "System Active".

With that said I was perusing around the folder on the SD card and came across this (see attached file.) it was originally a .CFG (what ever that is ) and I just opened it with note pad. I assume this is the mission control program. From what I can remember form C++ in high school its a rather basic program. Why they have it on the SD car and not on the module itself is beyond me. What I find most interesting is that after scrolling around, I came across the "acceleration report" section. There seems to be a 30-60 mph timer in the Program. I haven't triggered it yet in the car because I can't stand to keep it on long enough with the stock voice files. But If I'm correct I should be able to modify the values so that instead of a 30- 60 mph trigger, I would be able to set up a 0-60. or maybe multiple sections.

I'm no programmer but if someone with a better understanding could take a look at this it would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
MC_2009.txt (49.0 KB, 181 views)
Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
"CFG" is usually an abbreviation for "configuration". And up at the top of the file, it does say it's a configuration file. There is no single standard format for configurations; the format varies depending on whatever the people coding it feel is needed.

The lines that start with "#" are likely comment lines that are ignored. The stuff in brackets looks like some sort of event name, so when the system sees something happening it looks in the file to see what it thinks it should do about it.

The early blocks are simply lists of audio files. I don't know why they are numbered, mostly sequentially (notice that there are some out of sequence in the "c_sunroof_rain" section).

The "variables" section seems to be declaring symbolic constants that are evidently used in EVENTLIST.

"Helpers" seems to be some short functions to determine when some condition exists. Like, "Is it cold"? Or, "Is it freezing?" Or, "Is the car driving?"

And so on. It doesn't look like any specific programming language that I know, but I don't know every language. And it certainly isn't a complete program by any means. So this is just a bunch of little stuff that they thought might need to be changed more easily than the hard-coded stuff in the car itself, I guess.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Step
2nd Gear
Thanks for that.

Yeah it does seem like it's missing a lot. I belive the reason they did it this way is because this allows for different functions and audio files to be added with different "content" sd cards. For instance, you were able to get the "space"content witch from what I understand is designed to give you a jetsons like feel. The crazy part is that it's actually listed in the mini Catalog. I'm going to buy the available content cards and see what they come up with.

In the mean time I am really focused on weather or not I can modify the time Acc report so I can do a 0-60 timer. any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 07-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Not really. I didn't spend enough time looking at it to appreciate exactly what goes on. And there's a lot that simply isn't there, that would be on-board the car rather than on the SD card.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Step
2nd Gear
But from what I can tell there are rather simple functions being performed that do take place on the card. Again I think this is because they were hoping it would take off and users would like to switch between content. Different content would not only have different voice sound files, but different themed functions pertaining to different themed actions.

Either way I'm going to keep plugging away. I loaded up some voice files today to associate with different functions. when the car is turned off the Vehicle plays a voice file from dukenuekm "My gun's bigger than yours." it was more for fun than anything. I wanted to make sure I could impose the voice files onto the card. With that out of the way I have to figure out how in heck to modify the selection settings.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
You have got to me one of the few who actually leaves it on when they drive. I find it to be an absolute bore after a quick minute. It was such a huge letdown, that package. Some of the nice touches like the interior panels and the front and rear lights, but man....$4k option for junk. I'd rather have a deeper hidden compartment!