Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical any way have driving lights with low beam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 03:32 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm sorry, but what you're saying makes no sense to me at all.....

In one breath you're saying you need them right in front of the car (like a fog light only brighter?)

And in the next you say the high beams are aimed too high to do any good, yet you're driving on back country roads where you need to be looking way down the road, not 5 feet in front of the car.

So which is it? Are you trying to have a really bright set of fog lights, or are you trying to make sure you're not outdrving your headlights on back country roads?

What part of the country are you in?

I'm trying to understand your usage here, cause I'm afraid I agree with CR, I can think of no instance where low beams and driving lights make sense.

Low beams and fogs, sure. High beams and driving lights, yep......

High beams and fogs, not in the least - that would simply blind you. Likewise, low beams and driving lights is not a combination that makes any sense to me.....

A lot of people mistakenly think that they need to see very well right in front of the car, when what you should be doing is looking way down the road at the very edge of the headlight's illumination to plan your next move.

If what you're saying is the roads are low speed and very tight turns, then what would really help are headlights that turn with the front wheels. Who has those now, anyone?

Old 07-21-2012, 03:32 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The low beams don't light up the road far enough ahead and the solution is to add driving lights that are only aimed 10 feet ahead? Isn't that a shorter distance than where the low beams are aimed?

Old 07-21-2012, 03:40 PM
mastertrixter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving lights currently aimed as low as they will go, highbeams as well, zero vision from right in front of the car to about 20ft. with low beams will aim the driving lights up to normal to see farther out. i live in southern washington and drive from my small town to a larger town for work. the roads i take are empty at night when i head to work. in the morning it light so i don't even use my lights.

i need to see in front of the car so i can avoid hitting a deer or other animal that decides to jump out in front of me. kinda like the one that did the other night. hence the question. but i would also like to see a ways out to be able to slow down and avoid things at a longer distance.

in all honesty though this is besides the point. i asked a simple question. i received a nasty response when it was in no way necessary. im fairly new to my car and to this board. its people like CR that make me not even want to be a member here.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:49 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Again... zero sense. You do not look directly ahead to avoid deer. You scan left to right as far ahead as your lights allow.

And I had no idea you were so sensitive. My apologies for saying your idea is selfish and reeks of being an ***.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:01 PM
mastertrixter
2nd Gear
again, douche bag response. goodbye forum.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
It was very nice to meet you.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 PM
mastertrixter
2nd Gear
go **** yourself

Old 07-21-2012, 06:14 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
For those still playing along at home, I think CR's correct in that shining the light immediately in front of you will not do what the OP thinks in terms of avoiding a deer or other animal, cause by the time you see it at less than 10 ft out, you're gonna hit it - you don't have time to react.

Far better to look up the road and scan the sides for eye reflections and other clues, and the more light you can get up the road, the better.

I hear this given as a reason for running fog lites all the time on clear nights, that it helps light up the sides of the road - it's a totally bogus reason tho...

You need to get your eyes up and look far down the road, not right in front of the car.

On really tight twisty corners, especially hilly ones, it doesn't help as much as on longer straighter roads, but it's still the better solution.

If the OP is on the road by himself and not encountering oncoming traffic due to his hours or the remoteness of his location, then having any combination of lights on won't be bothering other drivers, but anywhere I've ever driven there's going to be oncoming traffic at some point, you have to be quick on the trigger to make sure you don't blind someone and cause a wreck.

I hope that whoever sent him the PM explaining how to trip the relay and turn them on, also gave him a good and quick way to turn them off again......

Old 07-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Febmoon1
3rd Gear
All of you!

I think you all are rude and don't need to lecture anyone. If you don't want to answer the question don't reply. Pretty simple. I like the question and if you know the answer then give it. Not your petty thoughts and ridiculous arguments to be rude. I can't believe what read above just asking a pretty fair question.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Fair question? Really?? A question which, if answered, puts people at risk.

So, if being rude to someone can divert a potentially dangerous situation, I'm glad to be called rude.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Febmoon1
3rd Gear
Really? That's the best you can come up with? Who made you the decider of law enforcement or moral enforcement! That's not your decision. We are a free country last I checked. Who made you the supreme leader? Not me or anyone else last I checked.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Febmoon1
3rd Gear
Real piece of work. Very elitist attitude. Pompous actually. But you are in 6th gear and are allowed to pass judgement on others for asking a good question. I have a jeep and did the same thing because when driving at night you may not want all high beams but a mix on dark roads. Without cars, because believe it or not people on forums can bevreonsible adults for themselves and can choose right or wrong. No CR needed to decide for us.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:44 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
You think I was the only one telling him why it's a very bad idea?

And if he has the freedom to do something potentially dangerous, why do I not have the freedom to call him out on it?

Seriously... you don't see how his idea could present a dangerous situation? Maybe you can be the first person in the thread to tell us one good reason to have driving lights set up to come on with low beams.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
All that was needed was a simple answer by installing a switch in between the lights. Then he could of turned them on and off at will just like the offroaders do.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Febmoon1
3rd Gear
You

You were rude, and honestly no one has to explain why they want to do something or their intentions. They may want to know because they want just want to do something. I am sure numerous people have thought about, or done it. Like I said I did it in my Jeep and would do it in my Mini. A) because it is my car B) I like low beam coverage on a dark road but like my driving lights pointed ahead to so the sides for deer C) no one has the right to pass judgement on my intentions if you do not know me. Me nor any other person on this forum has to explain our intentions or be judged by anyone. Again if you don't know the answer or do not want to explain keep the judging to yourself.

Last edited by Febmoon1; 07-21-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Misspelled a word
Old 07-21-2012, 07:55 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
He's not off-roading. He's driving on public roads and wants his driving lights to come on with his low beams so he can see better. Again... he is asking for advice to help him but put others at risk.

His position is indefensible yet you keep trying.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Febmoon1
You were rude, and honestly no one has to explain why
they want to do something or their intentions. They may want to know because they want just want to do something. I am sure numerous people have thought about, or done it. Like I said I did it in my Jeep and would do it in my Mini. A) because it is my car B) I like low beam coverage on a dark road but like my driving lights pointed ahead to so the sides for deer C) no one has the right to pass judgement on my intentions if you do not know me. Me nor any other person on this forum has to explain our intentions or be judged by anyone. Again if you don't know the answer or do not want to explain keep the judging to yourself.
You think that's even legal?

Would you want your wife, parent, children... driving toward a car with driving lights on?

I had a set and they are much brighter and project much further than high beams.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Febmoon1
3rd Gear
No he was not! I never said off road anywhere. You made an assumption because I put Jeep. I use them on an everyday road where other cars drive. I again can make the decision to be rude or not. I choose not to because I agree it could be annoying for someone else driving up on me. I drive a lot of back roads at night and would enjoy using my driving lights with my low beams as well. Don't assume everyone has bad intentions or pass judgement because of the 5% who choose to be rude on the road. I can't find one story about someone wrecking because driving lights blinded them and caused a horrific accident as you insinuate.

Does anyone have a way to do the original request? I would like to know.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
And another thing. You call me rude but you are beyond rude and incredibly selfish for having your driving lights on with your low beams.

Have the last word. Whatever I say won't convince you of your selfishness anyway.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Febmoon1
3rd Gear
You are one of those socially correct people who will always know better than everyone else and always can make the right decision for others. Are a community organizer by any chance?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
This is a waste of time. Kinda like telling your kids you know whats best when they think they do.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:08 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Febmoon1
No he was not! I never said off road anywhere. You made an assumption because I put Jeep. I use them on an everyday road where other cars drive. I again can make the decision to be rude or not. I choose not to because I agree it could be annoying for someone else driving up on me. I drive a lot of back roads at night and would enjoy using my driving lights with my low beams as well. Don't assume everyone has bad intentions or pass judgement because of the 5% who choose to be rude on the road. I can't find one story about someone wrecking because driving lights blinded them and caused a horrific accident as you insinuate.

Does anyone have a way to do the original request? I would like to know.
Ever consider you don't hear about problems this causes because there are so few selfish idiots driving around with their driving lights on with their low beams?

And evenif it never happened before, that doesn't make this a good idea.

Wow.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Ever consider you don't hear about problems this causes because there are so few selfish idiots driving around with their driving lights on with their low beams?

And evenif it never happened before, that doesn't make this a good idea.
Ever consider they are shutting them off and not causing the problems you think.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
We now know CR you are the internet forum and ethics police. You are like my kids. Always right. Good night son time for bed.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:14 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Braminator
Ever consider they are shutting them off and not causing the problems you think.
Sure they are. Every time. And the OP wanted them on with low beams. Period. Don't twist the debate to avoid the indefensible position which started the whole debate.

Quick Reply: Electrical any way have driving lights with low beam?