Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like a Dead car battery to me. Disconnect the car battery and charge it up. Reconnect after its charged.

What were "some of the applications" you opened?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 PM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is quite possible you simply ran down the car's battery. I did that one time when I was experimenting with the software and reading tables and stuff. It didn't take very long to drain the battery down, especially since I left the headlights on. The battery was drained enough that I had trouble jumping it from my other car. I had to put a charger on it over night. Ever since then it has been fine.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 PM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mysticturner
OK. Here's the deal. Looks like I've dorked my MINI. There I said it. ...
At this point I'm thinking (hoping) that what has happened is that she has lost my key info. But that's a guess. Any ideas?
BIMINI IS ALIVE! I found the problem!

After I posted the above item, I went back out to try one more time. I noticed that the interior lights were dim. But this time she gave me more clicks and walked through some errors. So I wondered if her battery was low. Jumped her off my wife's car. SHE"S ALIVE!

I think the problem stems from the fact that I had the headlights set to auto on, it's cold here (32 outside, but the garage is pretty cold too). And I was probably fiddling with things for like 45 minutes or an hour and was so focused on the computer, I didn't think about the drain on the battery.

I drove her around for about 20 minutes to get her charged up somewhat. And while doing that I told her she gave me a heart attack. I swear I heard her say back - " I'm supposed to give you heart attacks. Most of them are good heart attacks.... Buuuhhaaaaaa ". Sometimes our funny little cars do this just to find out if we really still care about them.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 PM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Thanks for the quick reply's StrobeyProbey and TiggerGTO. Looks like I was driving Bimini around when you answered. And Stobeyprobey - another big thanks to you for all the work you've done on this topic.

EDIT: Looks like I should give TiggerGTO a big thanks too. I've been going over this thread and you've answered a lot of questions for folks too. Sorry I missed that fact earlier.

Last edited by mysticturner; 01-12-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Add thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Excellent! Be careful now that your battery has been run down and is getting bit older if it is original. These batteries seem to fail pretty quickly.

With your ignition on you really only have about 15 minutes max on battery power. for me while coding my car draws about 12-19 amps depending on what is active, and more with the headlights on. BMW recommends a big regulated power supply for coding work.

For NCS, a 25 Amp charger will keep your power and voltage up.

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 01-12-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:17 AM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
Like I said in my post, I ran my battery down pretty far when I was experimenting with coding one night. I didn't realize that I did it until the next morning when my MINI wouldn't start as my wife and I were leaving for work. Luckily we still had another, although much less fun car to use.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
So now that I know I didn't kill Bimini, I have another question. With a 2008 R56, is it possible to read error codes using the stuff talked about in this thread? Or do I need to get EasyDIS or DIS? I've seen some hints that INPA can get to some error codes.

A few weeks ago Bimini started an occasional cough (usually at stop lights) and has had a engine check light on. With the Christmas/New Year rush, I haven't had the time (or money) to take her in. Autozone plugged in a regular OBD box and found no codes. My purpose in getting the cable was about coding, but if I can get codes too, why not.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Running the battery down and thinking you totally fried the programing seems to be a right of passage. Welcome to the club mysticturner!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 PM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheCheatOSX
Running the battery down and thinking you totally fried the programing seems to be a right of passage. Welcome to the club mysticturner!
Every set of directions has this disclaimer saying "Do this and you'll kill most of your family and destroy the neighborhood", so you're just primed for the first sign of failure to be "I toasted it! Run for your LIVES!!!"

Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM
VtwinPower
3rd Gear
Been reading into the NCSexpert. Now quick ?. Where do I obtain the datens for an r53? I assume all the r series are the same? Is that an incorrect assumption? Do I have to actually learn how to code? I'm tech savvy to a certain extent. I can follow directions to a T after rooting a million Android platforms but actual coding is a whole different ballgame..

--Thanks

Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 AM
mastawyrm
4th Gear
So about the speed auto-fudging. I set the value to nicht-aktiv and now my digital speedo is much more correct but the giant analog one is still over-estimating and the cruise control indicates a number in line with that rather than the digital one.

Also, I changed to a tire that's just slightly smaller radius so now the digital is about as off as it used to be and the analog/cruise control is even more wrong. Any idea where to fix these?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 PM
mshale
1st Gear
Originally Posted by VtwinPower
Been reading into the NCSexpert. Now quick ?. Where do I obtain the datens for an r53? I assume all the r series are the same? Is that an incorrect assumption? Do I have to actually learn how to code? I'm tech savvy to a certain extent. I can follow directions to a T after rooting a million Android platforms but actual coding is a whole different ballgame..

--Thanks
Not sure, but I think the correct datens you need are included in the download. When you get that sorted out, just follow all the instructions and know what values you'd like to modify and have at it. But yes, you should take your time and learn what you are doing. Don't just parrot the instructions.
Originally Posted by mastawyrm
So about the speed auto-fudging. I set the value to nicht-aktiv and now my digital speedo is much more correct but the giant analog one is still over-estimating and the cruise control indicates a number in line with that rather than the digital one.

Also, I changed to a tire that's just slightly smaller radius so now the digital is about as off as it used to be and the analog/cruise control is even more wrong. Any idea where to fix these?
I haven't seen a way to make the cruise and speedo needle more correct. you might be able to take it to the dealer and have them adjust your speed sensor (or the module that reads it).

Old 01-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Theamc
1st Gear
anyone successfully added the rear fogs to a 2011? I've tried adding $5AA to the VO and it didn't work. maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 PM
2big4mycar
1st Gear
i have an 08 mcs. i have the v38 datens, ive been able to code a few things sofar. my main goal is to remove the warm and cold bulb checks. when i look through the frm i dont see the codes i need to change. i used to have v40 or v41 and i remember seeing and changing them but i had an error when trying to recode them. i no long have the v 40 and v41 datens.

if i change to v40 or v41 do you think the codes would show up in the frm module?

i have been searching for sevral hours every night now for almost a week, i can not find the datens, i found the v41 but it was a 30+gb download. can anyone send me them or a link to them

Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V45 is the most recent to my knowledge. Go over to bmwcoding.com i found a download that was just the R56 Datens which is much smaller and much faster to download. If you are new to coding remember that you can really screw things up with old datens i.e. v41 and earlier. The newer your datens the better!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
BXR
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"FOB Closing of Windows+Sunroof" - Is it one touch or you have to keep pushing the button until they close?

Old 02-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Keep the fob button pressed.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:47 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
A request to view the spreadsheet. Looking for information on a R58 auto-up for windows

Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I have just updated the spreadsheet with a smoother viewing look I guess, everything should look better now.
Thanks all !!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:01 PM
evilclubman
Neutral
hey guys, ok so i was coding the kombi and of course got burned and now have a stuck spoiler code and all of the usual suspects are jacked. before i just give up and go to the dealer with my tail between my legs. i saw some discussion on here but nothing cut and dry about a process and what version EDIABAS to use. right now that is version 6.4.7 and v32 datens. I know what your gonna say update to v45 datens. well i downloaded that and it came with 6 folders in it and not just the normal 3. here are my questions. 1.Do I need to update all 6 of the folders? 2. whats the process on updating the EDIABAS to the newest version? 3. Is there a easier way to fix this? Sorry for the repeat on some of this, i'm just a little in distress on getting this corrected. PM me with direct help or post here. I just dont want to feel like a dummy and take the walk of shame to the dealer. thanks guys.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just use the 3 folders discussed in the previous instructions, but use the installer below instead of the programs in the old how to.

Google BMW Standard tools 2.11 for download, or http://ge.tt/8AykwAD for a limited time.

Release Notes for BMW Standard Tools
-------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © by BMW Group
Tool-Setup Version 2.11.0 - 31.05.2011
Support: Flash Service
Email: flash.service@bmw.de
-------------------------------------------------------
The following programs will be installed or updated:
Program Default directory Description
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIABAS C:\EDIABAS Vehicle diagnostic tool
WINKFP C:\EC-Apps\NFS Vehicle programming tool
NFS C:\EC-Apps\NFS Control tool for winkfp
INPA C:\EC-Apps\INPA Vehicle diagnostic tool
NcsExpert C:\NcsExper Vehicle coding tool
Program File-Versions Package
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIABAS: 7.2.0 2.3
-Tool32 3.9.0
-CANdriver 2.5.0.0 WINKFP 5.2.3
- CoAPI 3.12.4
NFS 5.2.9
- KMM SRV 4.31.1
INPA 5.0.6
NCS Expert 1.0.0.1 App.Version 3.1.0

Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 PM
DrZ
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alexs3d2
Guys... when coding your vehicle, did anyone encountered an error with module DSC? If I try to access the module from NCSExpert, I get a communication error and an error code on my CCC saying that "Safety systems have failed. Vehicle in emergency mode. Visit your nearest MINI dealer."

Anw... If I go to INPA, I can clear the codes and the car is back on fully functional. Maybe i need a different ECU file for the DSC?? I know that V40 (ECU) wouldn't communicate with the DME either, which v32 did. Using EDIABAS 7.2...
Did you ever get a resolution for this? I'm seeing the same thing with the v45 files and an 11/11 MCC.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 AM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you guys still have problems with NCS expert and the datens ??

Old 03-18-2012, 12:07 PM
DrZ
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Only issue I'm seeing with v45 and tools 2.10 is the DSC issue above. I'm going to try updating to 2.11 today.

Last edited by DrZ; 03-18-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
No, the DSC remains the only module I have not been able to access with NCSEXPERT. However, if the ignition is off, then no EML code is stored in the car and so no emergency modes etc. But you still DO get an error in NCSEXPERT.

Quick Reply: Electrical NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself)