Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Hoen "Xenon-match" subjective-blueness

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:27 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoen "Xenon-match" subjective-blueness

Many have swapped out stock bulbs for aftermarket for either greater brightness or for those of us who have Xenons, to better match the Xenons. That was my quest when I purchased replacement highbeam (H7) and driving lamps (H3) from Hoen USA. Given that I bought their "xenonmatch" bulbs I was expecting the light to match the Xenons but they are noticeably more blue than the Xenons. In general the light-throw looks much crisper from the driver's seat and the H3 bulbs in the driving lamps even seem a bit brighter, however I was still disappointed that they were too blue and wanted to share two pics that hint at the issue. It was hard to get a full-on shot with my PnS digicam but the side shots start to illustrate the issue. I'll probably try out Sylvania Silverstars next time and will report back.

Attached Thumbnails Hoen "Xenon-match" subjective-blueness-light1.jpg   Hoen "Xenon-match" subjective-blueness-light2.jpg  
Old 12-14-2008, 08:42 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Hoen bulbs are low-quality Korean bulbs, in spite of their German-sounding name. I bought some once, and they lasted about 4 months before one burned out.

For some expert advice and much better-quality light bulbs, Daniel Stern is the man: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Old 12-15-2008, 09:30 AM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
I considered Daniel Stern, but when my email to him was never responded to I felt less comfortable dealing with a single individual rather than the backing that a larger company has.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a standard kind of guy. He does 90% of his business on the phone.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:49 AM
minjae
6th Gear
honestly..its really hard to match with the xenons..i've learned to live with the non matching high beams..but i think in the pms we sent..
i said that i was using the sylvania ultras..they look more like stock light bulbs when just the daytime running lights are on but when the high beams are on..they are def whiter than stock bulbs but they dont match the xenons..
they do tho..light up the road pretty well..wayy better than the hoen's..

and another thing about the sylvannia silverstars..not to bash on them..cause i mean..i do have the ultras by the same company..
but they do tend to go out..my friend has a prius and he's gone through 3 or 4 pairs within the year or so..
i've only had one pair..but it has gone out after half a year of use around there..
just sharing my experiences..it may be different for you or anyone else..but that's just wat i've experienced..