Iowa winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Ntnorml
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iowa winter tires?

Hello,
This will be my first winter with my '10 JCW Clubman any suggestion as to what tires work well in our area during our unpredictable Iowa winters? I currently am running 17" Continentals.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ntnorml
Hello,
This will be my first winter with my '10 JCW Clubman any suggestion as to what tires work well in our area during our unpredictable Iowa winters? I currently am running 17" Continentals.
Are you looking for dedicated winter-only tires, or all-season tires that will serve you well every month of the year?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Ntnorml
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm open to suggestions. I commute 70 miles a day, half of which are on two lane highways.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Either of these all-season performance tires would get you through the winter fine...they both receive good comments from the crowd here on NAM:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Eventually, if you do a lot of winter driving you might want to consider a dedicated set of winter tires on a separate set of inexpensive and easy to clean wheels. It makes it simple and quick to swap out each set in late fall and early spring, and it allows you to enjoy the best traction available in winter and the benefits of summer performance tires when its warm. Repeated swapping of tires on a single set of rims will beat them up quickly. It also saves your good summer wheels from all of the salt, sand, and chemicals that get dumped on the roads around here.

For dedicated winter tires, Bridgestone Blizzaks are what I have and I know many folks are very satisfied with them.

Good luck with your shopping!