E-Mini (2020+) Electric Mini Discussions

E-Mini A bit more Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 06:59 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
A bit more Info

Nothing groundbreaking in this article, but it is new. The new 2024 is high on my list as my next Mini (depending on reviews and pricing)

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/mini...ctric-details/

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 02:04 PM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Nothing groundbreaking in this article, but it is new. The new 2024 is high on my list as my next Mini (depending on reviews and pricing)

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/mini...ctric-details/
I consider this groundbreaking: "The new MINI is lighter, too, which can only make things better on the street."
I've read smaller on the outside, larger on the inside, quicker, faster, and more than double the range, but this is the first time I've read "lighter, too."

This, too, is groundbreaking IMO: "MINI U.S. dealers received a secret preview of the next-gen model in May 2022. The report suggests that they were so impressed with the product that they were willing to pay the import duty that would be levied on it due to its Chinese origin."
Really? Dealers are willing to pay the 27.5% import duty on a new MINI Electric when they've been getting just a 6% margin on the current one? If true, my limited 50 years of experience buying new cars has not been sufficient for me to understand dealer motivations.

The following 2 users liked this post by eMINIman:
endquote (11-19-2022), MichaelC (11-20-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 06:52 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eMINIman
I consider this groundbreaking: "The new MINI is lighter, too, which can only make things better on the street."
I've read smaller on the outside, larger on the inside, quicker, faster, and more than double the range, but this is the first time I've read "lighter, too."

This, too, is groundbreaking IMO: "MINI U.S. dealers received a secret preview of the next-gen model in May 2022. The report suggests that they were so impressed with the product that they were willing to pay the import duty that would be levied on it due to its Chinese origin."
Really? Dealers are willing to pay the 27.5% import duty on a new MINI Electric when they've been getting just a 6% margin on the current one? If true, my limited 50 years of experience buying new cars has not been sufficient for me to understand dealer motivations.
I would expect to see that import fee be passed on to any buyers along with a nice market adjustment added. The only other way would be if the new MiniSE can be made for a lot less than the current model (this would mean the new MiniSE would have to come to the dealer about 33% less than the current model (to keep the starting price around $35K and maintain the current 6% margin). Highly unlikely, I expect to see the starting price be around $42K if the cost to manufacture is the same as the current model. If the cost to manufacture the new model is less, then we may see my projected $42K starting price drop a bit so dealers can afford to pay the the 27.5% and still keep their 6% margin.

If past experience is any indication of new model pricing and dealer behavior, I would expect to see that handy little "market adjustment" sticker next to the MSRP sticker.

It's only money and the Fed keeps printing more.....................LOL

Old 11-20-2022, 04:54 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
Yeah I don't buy for a second that they're going to bring the China built MINI EV here.

I'm also skeptical about the lighter, faster, bigger but smaller, and more range, but we'll see next year I guess. It doesn't seem likely that all of those things can be true.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:29 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
Yeah I don't buy for a second that they're going to bring the China built MINI EV here.

I'm also skeptical about the lighter, faster, bigger but smaller, and more range, but we'll see next year I guess. It doesn't seem likely that all of those things can be true.
Certainly anything is possible at this point. I tend to believe the reports I've read on the new MiniSE. Rather difficult to fudge a car;s weight, interior volume, exterior dimensions, etc. My rationale is that the new Mini is designed and built as an EV from the ground up compared to taking an ICE car and trying to make it electric. My skepticism arises from the import fees attached to cars not made in North America and what we will be left to choose from. Chevy Bolts?