E-Mini (2020+) Electric Mini Discussions

F55/F56 Air conditioner not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 02:19 PM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Air conditioner not working

Is there a trick to the ac? I have the ac button lit and no matter if it is fresh, recirc, max, auto, green or mid the temperature does not change. I am scheduled to see the dealer regarding this. 1880 miles.

Thanks if you have any input.

Noel

Old 03-27-2021, 01:16 AM
Alan292
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What mode are you in? I believe green+ disables ac

Old 03-27-2021, 02:03 AM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
I tend to drive in mid and green, but I tried all the modes and there was no difference. Green+ didn't get warmer.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:49 AM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
On the first warm Michigan day this season, I was wondering why my SE's air-conditioner didn't pump out volumes of cold air. In lieu of visiting my distant dealer right away, I will be monitoring this thread.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:57 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Mine is always cold but I am always in sport mode.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:06 PM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jon Roberts
Mine is always cold but I am always in sport mode.
I haven't found the A/C's Sport Mode setting yet.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:17 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
Try the drive mode in mid or sport. The green modes turn off AC and heat to save energy.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:39 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by eMINIman
I haven't found the A/C's Sport Mode setting yet.
A/C Sport mode will blow you away

The following users liked this post:
eMINIman (03-31-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 06:51 PM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
Sooooo, dropped it off this morning and before noon got a call back. No freon and a code on the heat pump. Heat pump will be replaced but of course, it's in germany 🙄. They claim they "saw" no leaks and think it was just not filled at the factory. I will reserve judgement for now.

I am driving my car until the parts come in. I had a loaner countryman cooper s. I found it noisy, fairly nimble and slow off the line, but faster on the top end. It was a less packaged car and may me appreciate my iconic trim. It was better than driving my toyota minivan, my wife's all motor rs5 is better in every aspect and I am glad to own the SE. that said the projected range on the countryman was 488 miles🤯

Old 04-22-2021, 10:21 AM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
Light at the end of the tunnel?

Well, I called after waiting 3 weeks for a two week part order and the service advisor called back an hour later and said my part just came in!🙄 I'll drop the car off on Wednesday and the wait begins/continues.

I'm up over 2500 miles since last I posted and with the mild weather have done a significant amount of driving in in green+ . Driving seems acceptable but the milage is consistently shooting for 110 miles

Old 05-01-2021, 06:20 PM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
Got the car back in a day and a half. Seem to be fine but it was 50degrees out when I got the car so it was hard to tell if it really worked. Weirdly, I lost my radio, charging settings, but not my garage door or navigation information or telephone for Bluetooth.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:42 PM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
Warmer weather

Well it was around 65 degrees today and I can confirm that the ac works. Yay!

MichaelC (05-04-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 06:28 PM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
And not so much

So now for a few weeks I have noted for certain the ac is working erratically. As a bonus today the tpms won't reset. The car will not start without holding the key to the steering columns. The car will not lock without the app( so it is staying unlocked for now) the auto high beam won't work either. Or course I will call the dealer tomorrow. Sigh

Old 06-07-2021, 05:13 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by MeanGreenEV
As a bonus today the tpms won't reset. The car will not start without holding the key to the steering columns.
Sorry to read about your troubles. I believe the TPMS/Keyfob receiver is behind the passenger side, rear seat, panel. It could be that it has gone bad?

Regardless, please let us know what the dealer finds out.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:05 PM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
So this morning, the car awoke and went back to baseline as if nothing has happened. The TpmS did require a reset, but it did succeed in completing it. The ac is still not consistent, sometimes cold and at times cool warm air.
the car was recharged back to 100% from about 50%

Old 06-14-2021, 05:38 AM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
At the shop for the weekend so far. Slumming it in a Clubman all4 S. The say a high pressure pipe and a sensor needs to be replaced. I get a sensor failing, but high pressure pipe? Doesn't sound like something that should ever fail?!

Old 06-14-2021, 07:11 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
That explains why your car didn't have AC when you got it. It leaked out! And yes, the high pressure line can fail.

You should have them replace the dryer too because that should be replaced when the AC system is opened. It is a cheap part so if they don't want to pay for this, pay for it yourself.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:40 AM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
Should this have been noted when the replaced the previous module and repressurized it? Does the dryer need to be replaced on a 4k mile care that has almost never had a working a/c?

Thank you

Old 06-14-2021, 08:02 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
They probably didn't think it was needed since they concluded it never had refrigerant in the system. Everything I've read about AC systems suggests replacing the dryer if you open the system and replacing the high pressure line will open the system.

The high pressure line probably has a leak or a bad o-ring which caused the refrigerant to leak out. Have them show it to you.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:28 AM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
I appreciate the input. The dealer is not the most communicative. I haven't the time to go back and forth physically, but I have requested pics from them and the dryer replacement.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:47 PM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
So we're at 2+ weeks and they are essentially at square one. They replaced only a pressure sensor, not the line. It worked for a minute and threw another code when it started to blow hot again. Unfortunately, they won't let me speak to anybody with actual technical skill, so I don't know what else "failed". I , understandably, am frustrated and the best they can offer is they have bmw corporate working on this. I asked about Lemon law and arrogantly the manager said he has never lemoned any car. NYS says 4 attempts to fix this or 30 days cumulatively. I'm at about 18 days for both visits now. So I think it is reasonable to start thinking it.i won't get another mini mainly because I would want to get Harmon kardon. I actually hope this car gets right.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:35 AM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
7 weeks

So after weeks at the dealer, there is no actual end in sight. A high voltage sensor was replaced, another fault was found in which the coolant was contaminated. The useless service representative never reports the same thing twice. So I can't tell if the coolant is part of the battery cooling system as he said the first time or the refrigerant in the a/c system. I have been in contact with bmw/mini corporate through iconcierge, and they're talking buyback. It is still not clear if buyback is all of my cost, all of my cost plus the paint protective film, or a depreciated cost. I want out of this car because to me, the multiple points of failure and the inability of the dealer to remedy them definitively or timely ( I'm not even really asking for both!) have left me in a less than confident position. I don't want a 2022 because of my lack of confidence, but in a petty seeming way, also because Harmon Kardon is not available with certainty.

I don't want to buy a car full well knowing I would want to upgrade the stereo on day one.

To the non-communicative dealer's credit, they have kept me in a loaner from the beginning. They even put me in a Mercedes c300 when I complained the gas mini clubman I was in was too trashy with it's noise and vibration and giant dealer service car stickers on the back windshield.. if only they had let me move on with my life when we hit the thirty day mark! It is still not clear if they will force me to petition the NYS attorney general to actually lemon the car. That would be most inconvenient. I don't have the time to waste on this and would get lawyers involved, adding continued levels of frustration/complexity to this process.

I understand this is a lemon. I understand largely this isn't the dealer's fault but rather a production failure. It's still a bummer. Thanks for listening.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:41 PM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MeanGreenEV
So after weeks at the dealer, there is no actual end in sight. A high voltage sensor was replaced, another fault was found in which the coolant was contaminated. The useless service representative never reports the same thing twice. So I can't tell if the coolant is part of the battery cooling system as he said the first time or the refrigerant in the a/c system. I have been in contact with bmw/mini corporate through iconcierge, and they're talking buyback. It is still not clear if buyback is all of my cost, all of my cost plus the paint protective film, or a depreciated cost. I want out of this car because to me, the multiple points of failure and the inability of the dealer to remedy them definitively or timely ( I'm not even really asking for both!) have left me in a less than confident position. I don't want a 2022 because of my lack of confidence, but in a petty seeming way, also because Harmon Kardon is not available with certainty.

I don't want to buy a car full well knowing I would want to upgrade the stereo on day one.

To the non-communicative dealer's credit, they have kept me in a loaner from the beginning. They even put me in a Mercedes c300 when I complained the gas mini clubman I was in was too trashy with it's noise and vibration and giant dealer service car stickers on the back windshield.. if only they had let me move on with my life when we hit the thirty day mark! It is still not clear if they will force me to petition the NYS attorney general to actually lemon the car. That would be most inconvenient. I don't have the time to waste on this and would get lawyers involved, adding continued levels of frustration/complexity to this process.

I understand this is a lemon. I understand largely this isn't the dealer's fault but rather a production failure. It's still a bummer. Thanks for listening.
I wonder if any dealer could possibly be prepared to resolve the mysterious problems your car has experienced? It sounds like even MINI USA is clueless. I spend a lot of time on MINI E forums and haven't heard of another SE with significant problems. I love my SE so much that I'd probably give MINI and your dealer a more time to fix it and bargain for an extended warranty. Even a lemon can be saved. From a selfish point of view, I'd love to know what it ultimately takes to fix your SE.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:02 AM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
Originally Posted by eMINIman
I wonder if any dealer could possibly be prepared to resolve the mysterious problems your car has experienced? It sounds like even MINI USA is clueless. I spend a lot of time on MINI E forums and haven't heard of another SE with significant problems. I love my SE so much that I'd probably give MINI and your dealer a more time to fix it and bargain for an extended warranty. Even a lemon can be saved. From a selfish point of view, I'd love to know what it ultimately takes to fix your SE.
I too love the car so much that if this goes smoothly and I get my money back, i will actually sit on my hands for at least six months before I get another car. There just isn't something out there that will match it.

As far as an extended warranty, I actually asked corporate about that on day 40 and they pretty much laughed in my face. I'm glad they did. I don't think it'd be wise to have the albatross around my neck of a car that was going to be in and out of the shop for the next ten years, unpredictably leaving me stranded 90 miles from home and be out of my legal timeframe to get my lemon's maximum value. It's hard for me, but I need to do the smart thing- not the emotional one. I have chosen emotional too many times in the past.

That said, what would you guys get next? I am not beholden to electric, but I loved it for 4 months. I have owned an engine swapped Honda Accord for 4 years, a stock Toyota Camry for 5, a big turbo volvo c30 for 4:years, a stock VW CC for 8 months, and a lightly modified S4 for 5 years that I , now regretfully, gave up for my mini. I'm in no rush. My wife has an RS5 in the garage, the minivan lease ends in March and will either be replaced with a Model Y or comparable 6 passenger vehicle. I would love to get a Honda e in America.

eMINIman (08-04-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 08:56 PM
alexmoloder
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem, and I have no idea why. I have already regretted that I bought this air conditioner a hundred times since I have already spent more than the device's total cost on repairs. Well, at least the guys from https://hot2coldairconditioning.com/...air-holiday-fl / agreed to come to the wilderness where I live. This is very stressful because the air conditioner itself breaks down and does not work, and the room's temperature is unbearable. I'm constantly under stress, and I already want to throw it to hell. I hope someone here will advise us already what we should do at last

Last edited by alexmoloder; 12-24-2021 at 05:41 AM.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Air conditioner not working