E-Mini (2020+) Electric Mini Discussions

E-Mini Bimmercode with Cooper SE

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 03:06 PM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Bimmercode with Cooper SE

Bimmercode works with the SE! I have successfully disabled the Acoustic Pedestrian Protection option and fixed the Headunit dimming problem.

To disable the VSG, I used the BMW i3 option and then I saw the Acoustic Pedestrian Protection option. I enabled the storage of the last used acoustic pedestrian protection setting even though I don't have this as an option in the Mini menus. I then enabled expert mode and changed Tuning mode to "Yes". I saved this to the ECU and now the ASG is disabled in Drive.

However, the VSG is still active when in Reverse. It would be nice to disable that too but it isn't as big of a deal as the one in Drive.

I also changed the Headunit to fix the dimming of the Control panel. I used the Mini ECU option and then Headunit. I used Expert Mode and then scrolled down to "3005 Display PIP Info". Next, I found DIM_VARIANT in the list of options. I changed the default "NEW" to "OLD". After completing, I saved this option.

Now, the Display option for the Control Display has a "brightness" option instead of "brightness at night". I have tinted windows and it was very annoying how the display kept on getting darker and then lighter as I drove around.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jon Roberts:
F14Scott (09-17-2020), Isaac Simon (01-23-2021), MichaelC (09-14-2020), MiniAndo (09-15-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 03:11 PM
RocketJohn
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
what other fun things have you coded out? I have the app. I'm thinking of removing warnings and turning on rear running lights

Old 09-17-2020, 03:21 PM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
I just removed the seatbelt initial warning which makes it a little nicer when you first turn on the car but that is it.

The following users liked this post:
RocketJohn (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 03:40 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Set range to 600 miles?

The following 2 users liked this post by Walt:
eMINIman (07-08-2021), pictsidhe (08-06-2022)
Old 09-17-2020, 06:24 PM
RocketJohn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Walt
Set range to 600 miles?

I haven't found this one yet.

I just removed the seatbelt warning and the Sat/Nav legalese warning. I coded in the rear lights as running daytime lights. I also coded it so it starts in Green (Eco Pro) mode, as we did in the i3.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:26 AM
MiniAndo
3rd Gear
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon Roberts
I just removed the seatbelt initial warning which makes it a little nicer when you first turn on the car but that is it.
Funny. That chime bugs the heck out of me in my ICE cars (especially the FIAT which is something like 93dB) but that's just because I like to start the car first, the fiddle with everything else while it's warming up. In an EV, you can reprogram your muscle memory to hit the ignition right before you take off, so you will already be buckled. Just struck me as an interesting detail of EV life.

Either way, I don't think it's the manufacturer's duty to remind you to utilize all available safety systems, I'm all for disabling this chime in any car I own!

RocketJohn (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 12:12 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniAndo

Either way, I don't think it's the manufacturer's duty to remind you to utilize all available safety systems, I'm all for disabling this chime in any car I own!
Its suppose to be a reminder. To me, that means if I get to step 37, place vehicle into drive, and I have not completed step 36 yet, buckle seat belt, THEN remind me with a light and 93dB siren.

RocketJohn (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 01:06 PM
RocketJohn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Walt
Its suppose to be a reminder. To me, that means if I get to step 37, place vehicle into drive, and I have not completed step 36 yet, buckle seat belt, THEN remind me with a light and 93dB siren.
Haha, but you also have the option as to how much time or speed enacts that trigger. I just turned it off b/c I feel naked without a seatbelt, but if I'm moving the car to the street to free up garage space, the beeping is not necessary.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:47 PM
RocketJohn
2nd Gear
Thanks to my buddy Aaron, digging out the rear fog light on brake application coding, i did that today. Also reduced the angel eye brightness at light

The following 2 users liked this post by RocketJohn:
heelsbigc (11-07-2020), Walt (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 11:13 AM
fc8324
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bimmercode works with the SE! I have successfully disabled the Acoustic Pedestrian Protection option and fixed the Headunit dimming problem.

To disable the VSG, I used the BMW i3 option and then I saw the Acoustic Pedestrian Protection option. I enabled the storage of the last used acoustic pedestrian protection setting even though I don't have this as an option in the Mini menus. I then enabled expert mode and changed Tuning mode to "Yes". I saved this to the ECU and now the ASG is disabled in Drive.

However, the VSG is still active when in Reverse. It would be nice to disable that too but it isn't as big of a deal as the one in Drive.

I also changed the Headunit to fix the dimming of the Control panel. I used the Mini ECU option and then Headunit. I used Expert Mode and then scrolled down to "3005 Display PIP Info". Next, I found DIM_VARIANT in the list of options. I changed the default "NEW" to "OLD". After completing, I saved this option.

Now, the Display option for the Control Display has a "brightness" option instead of "brightness at night". I have tinted windows and it was very annoying how the display kept on getting darker and then lighter as I drove around.
Thanks, I applied both of these codings to mine.

Has anyone tried to enable the anti-dazzle headlights feature that is disabled over here in the US? I'd like to try.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:38 PM
RocketJohn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fc8324
Thanks, I applied both of these codings to mine.

Has anyone tried to enable the anti-dazzle headlights feature that is disabled over here in the US? I'd like to try.
Are the headlights physically the same and only software controlling? I would think it was possible then.

I'm wondering if we can code out the low speed sound the car emits to Pedestrians.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:05 PM
fc8324
Neutral
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
Are the headlights physically the same and only software controlling? I would think it was possible then.

I'm wondering if we can code out the low speed sound the car emits to Pedestrians.
To my knowledge the headlights are the same. The US models are delivered with “variable light decoding” which I believe is the anti-dazzle feature legally allowed everywhere except the US.

OP explained how to remove the pedestrian noise the car emits while in D. The car still makes the noise while in R.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:15 PM
RocketJohn
2nd Gear

Okay I see what he said here.

Step 1:
When using Bimmercode select i3
Step 2:
Goto the VSG module and change it to Active or Enabled
Step 3:
Goto Expert mode and under Tuning choose Yes

Thanks. Worked. Sound off in Drive, but active in Reverse.

Last edited by RocketJohn; 09-26-2020 at 02:37 PM.
MichaelC (09-27-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 02:35 PM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
Jon, Can you help me understand what process you used?

A) When you talk about you used the BMW i3 option, do you mean you used Bimmercode as though the car was a BMW i3 and just those menu options or did you go straight to expert mode?

B) You talk about expert mode, what setting did you adjust? There are many many codes there.

Thanks!
A) Yes, that is what I did.
B) I changed Tuning mode. It is just like an i3.

RocketJohn (09-26-2020)
Old 01-23-2021, 11:39 AM
Isaac Simon
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for posting this!

​​​​​​I also found you can adjust the hvac to remember your previous settings between uses. Seems like that would have been default. Shrug. (I didn't test it so I'm assuming it worked.)

There's a "sport" display option that does nothing besides show the word sport over the sport mode screen. Don't do that one.

There's an adjustment to remember your most recent drive mode. Assuming it works, that also seems like a good idea.

I love the startup screen animation. I wonder if theres a way to get that to display when you start the car. It shows when you do the bimmercode reboot only, atm.

Last edited by Isaac Simon; 01-24-2021 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:19 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
The sport option does work. It changes the throttle map, decreases the steering assist, changes the throttle tip-in, and provides more energy to the motor. I did several 0-60 tests with the normal versus sport modes and I always got about 1 second faster with the sport mode.

I also set to the ecu to default to sport mode with bimmercode. Works perfectly.

I wish I could set the collision warning to default off. It still freaks out from time to time when I am one pedal driving and coming up on another car. It seems calibrated for a car without regenerative braking so it freaks out too easily when I am clearly slowing down and the car is braking.

Isaac Simon (01-24-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 05:26 PM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Can Bimmercode activate an AM radio band in the Cooper SE?

The following 2 users liked this post by eMINIman:
Isaac Simon (01-25-2021), maxou723 (09-11-2023)
Old 07-07-2021, 06:53 PM
Alan292
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Jon Roberts, do you get an audio notice for the collision warning? I get the red car pop up on the display but no audio and I am wondering if thats normal.

Also I assume you've gone into the standard settings menu and changed it to the least aggressive notice distance?

Old 07-08-2021, 07:54 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I get the red car outline somewhat regularly, but I've only gotten the audio warning once on a tight turn when it thought the car in the other lane was right in front of me.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:30 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
Maybe I'm driving differently now but I haven't seen the warning in a while. When it happens again, I'll pay attention to it more to see if it makes a sound too.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:50 AM
MiniSE50700
Neutral
Eco Mode when start the mini SE

Hi everyone !
Can you explain how to code , when you whant to have the green mode, when i start the car ?
thanks a lot

Old 07-30-2021, 08:19 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniSE50700
Hi everyone !
Can you explain how to code , when you whant to have the green mode, when i start the car ?
thanks a lot
Cravenspeed has a page explaining how to do it. You just need to use "slow" rather than "sport" when you code it.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-f56...de-sport-mode/

Old 08-02-2021, 06:44 AM
MiniSE50700
Neutral
Cravenspeed has a page explaining how to do it. You just need to use "slow" rather than "sport" when you code it.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-f56...de-sport-mode/
Thanks a lot Jon. For information, I have the same car with the same color !! I'm in France, in Normandy.
See you soon ...

Old 07-06-2022, 10:30 AM
Eckmando
Neutral
Can't find tuning mode option

I'm trying to disable the pedestrian warning with the instructions to enable tuning mode in expert mode. I can't find tuning mode however. I'm using the BimmerCode app, and select Mini as the vehicle.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:34 AM
Tifosi
2nd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
select BMW i3.

Quick Reply: E-Mini Bimmercode with Cooper SE