New ALTA JCW Replacement Filter...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:03 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New ALTA JCW Replacement Filter...

ALTA's New JCW Replacement Filter

Mini created a great aftermarket intake system for the Mini a few years back, the John Cooper Works Intake. The JCW intake system consists of a slightly larger air box, and a more traditional cone type air filter. This intake system contains a flapper that opens up under high load conditions allowing cool fresh air to enter from the window cowel. This unique flapper keeps the intake system quiet under normal operating conditions, but adds that sweet Supercharger wine when the ECU demands more air. While this is a good intake system, there are 2 shortcomings, the filter and the intake hose.

We have tested our ALTA intake against the JCW intake swapping out both the filter and the intake hose, and found about 4WHP from swapping out the intake hose and about 3WHP from swapping out just the filter. Most JCW customers are ok with swapping out the intake hose as this doesn’t change the sound very much, and also can be ordered in black to keep that OEM look. But most JCW customers are not going to throw away a great intake system just to get the ALTA Foam filter.

This is the ALTA intake hose runs showing back to back results.

So besides the new ALTA JCW replacement filter being a great way to add power, it is also a great way to save some money. The JCW OEM filter is not cleanable, it must be replaced when dirty. The cost to replace the filter is very expensive! Buying an ALTA JCW replacement filter and one cleaning kit will cost you less than buying a new filter.

The ALTA JCW Replacement Filter is $79.99, add our Filter cleaning kit for $13.99 and you have a few extra HP and a filter you can keep for the life of your car. Take it one step further and add the ALTA Silicone Intake Hose $104.99 and gain a few more HP! Another great benefit is gas mileage. Both the filter and intake hose make power by freeing up the intake restrictions, so you will notice a very slight increase in fuel economy.
The New ALTA JCW replacement filter will be shipping in less than 3 weeks. Give us a ring if you are interested in pre ordering one!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Luys
4th Gear
4 HP gain When it will be in the site ?

Old 04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-17-2008, 05:42 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Should be on the web in the next few days. Deliveries within 3 weeks.

Let me know of course if I can help in anyway!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 PM
usadavidberlin
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good, but is it better than this one:
http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=272

If so, then how?

If it is...sign me up!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:01 AM
Luys
4th Gear
Mini-madness wrote pleated cotton filter element provides higher airflow than foam filters and cleans more thoroughly. Is this true ?

Old 04-19-2008, 08:09 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
wait, is it $104.99 w/ the intake hose as a whole package or 104.99 extra to also get the intake hose?

Old 04-20-2008, 06:02 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Call me a pessimist if you would like but I find these numbers hard to believe. I have a totally stocK GP and am going for a tune by RMW on friday 4/25.
I'll make you a deal, after Jan tunes my car I will then change the hose and filter and run it on the dyno again under the same conditions same day. If I get 7 whp more I'll pay you double your list price and if I don't it's free. Whatever the results I will post it in this forum. Let me know!
Steve

Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by usadavidberlin
Looks good, but is it better than this one:
http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=272

If so, then how?

If it is...sign me up!
Originally Posted by Luys
Mini-madness wrote pleated cotton filter element provides higher airflow than foam filters and cleans more thoroughly. Is this true ?
Everyone has their own opinion on filters and how they work. But the fact is that foam "filters" the air much better. When both types of filters are clean, both make the same HP (Given the same car, same basic size.........). Then add start throwing dirt at both of them, and the cotton type filters get clogged up. Foam can hold more dirt and still flow more air. All cotton types, and paper types, filter like your coffee filter. Meaning that it blocks and holds th dirt, and as it get dirtier it gets more and more restrictive.

WE have tested both new un-oiled K&N and new un-oiled ALTA Foam filters and seen virtually ZERO difference on the dyno. Adding oil to them does cause a slight loss in power(about 1HP), but again, both filters see the same change.

There is a reason that all off road vehicles use Foam type filters. Foam works better! K&N has a very large advertising budget which has obviously worked over the years to burn into peoples brains that the K&N is the best. But we over time, i think the more people get their hands on foam filters the more people will steer away from K&N.

Originally Posted by roaduscarnivorous
wait, is it $104.99 w/ the intake hose as a whole package or 104.99 extra to also get the intake hose?
$104.99 is the intake hose by its self. Then add the filter which is $79.99.

Originally Posted by THE ITCH
Call me a pessimist if you would like but I find these numbers hard to believe. I have a totally stocK GP and am going for a tune by RMW on friday 4/25.
I'll make you a deal, after Jan tunes my car I will then change the hose and filter and run it on the dyno again under the same conditions same day. If I get 7 whp more I'll pay you double your list price and if I don't it's free. Whatever the results I will post it in this forum. Let me know!
Steve
Please make the extra money in Money Order form to Jeff Perrin. THanks!
But seriously, on our dyno, we did lots of testing on our GP. In stock form, we swaped nothing but the intake hose and got that 4WHP. This was very easy to see run after run. We then installed out complete intake system(with same sized filter as the JCW replacement) and got an extra 3WHP. Also very consistent. Then we swapped out the Exhaust for our 2.5" exhaust and made even more. You can see all of that done here:
http://www.altaminiperformance.com/pages/show/58
Then to add to that, we did some tuning with the Unichip and sticking with the stock GP redline, we got great gains. You should see something similar.

http://www.altaminiperformance.com/pages/show/59

Old 04-22-2008, 05:36 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Jeff
This would probably cost me an additional $85 in dyno time to do this test. I see this as a no b/s way of you backing up your claims. It would be done by one of the most respected tuners on this forum. I stand by the fact that I will pay double if I get the 7 WHP and make the check payable to whom ever you would like. If I don't get the 7 WHP it's free. All you have to do is get me the intake hose and filter here by Thursday.
Steve

Originally Posted by ALTA2
Please make the extra money in Money Order form to Jeff Perrin. THanks!
But seriously, on our dyno, we did lots of testing on our GP. In stock form, we swaped nothing but the intake hose and got that 4WHP. This was very easy to see run after run. We then installed out complete intake system(with same sized filter as the JCW replacement) and got an extra 3WHP. Also very consistent. Then we swapped out the Exhaust for our 2.5" exhaust and made even more. You can see all of that done here:
http://www.altaminiperformance.com/pages/show/58
Then to add to that, we did some tuning with the Unichip and sticking with the stock GP redline, we got great gains. You should see something similar.

http://www.altaminiperformance.com/pages/show/59

Old 04-24-2008, 01:23 PM
HABUTGO
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
will it also fit in my Dinan Air Box?
and personally i really don't care if I do not get the claimed 1~3 HP diff.
i wont ask for a free filter

Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
SB
6th Gear
Looking forward to giving it a try. I placed an order for the filter and hose this afternoon.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:13 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Is there a difference between the standard red filter and this one? assuming it's in the neck mount? I'm very interested as I had the Alta intake set up on my 02 MCS and would like to replace the inner filter only on my JCW intake box on my 06 MCS JCW.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Works
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Should be on the web in the next few days. Deliveries within 3 weeks.

Let me know of course if I can help in anyway!
Is it on the web yet? I cannot find it on your web site nor any usual mail-order places.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:20 PM
PlayPlay
6th Gear
How does it compare to the ITG filter? Any differences there?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:52 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Not sure how it compares. Ours is foam, so is theirs, but if its like their other ones, it probably has very open cells. Which is good for flow, but not for catching dirt. Ours is the same basic construction as our other filters, just shorter to fit in the box, and a special rubber connection for the box.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:50 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Now back in stock! Lower price of only $58.00!!!!!! Buy em while they's hot!

CLICK HERE

Old 05-10-2010, 06:13 PM
mattbraun1
1st Gear
Is this filter still available for R53 JCW airboxes?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mattbraun1
Is this filter still available for R53 JCW airboxes?
Hi Matt,
Got your email, unfortunately that air filter has been discontinued.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:39 AM
jakesulivan
Neutral
Hey mate these are looking awesome. They are fabulous.