Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New Method to support AGS - DYI

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:26 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Method to support AGS - DYI

I installed my AGS V2 about 6 months ago now. Waited to post this to verify that this would work and not cause any problems.

There was some concern with the AGS installation. The tube that connects the Bypasss Valve holds the AGS pipe, that is is directly connected to the TB. The TB is heavy and there is some concern that the weight might cause the AGS to have some leaks. I am not sure if this is the case, but when I did my installation, I tried to reduce the risk, if any existed.

When the TB is removed, during the installation, the AGS installation guide tells you to remove a metal brace that guides some cables, located below the TB.

I used this metal brace to make a support. It is a "Z" shaped metal brace that has a plastic clip to hold the cables. I removed it from its location. Removed the plastic clip. Flip it so that the end that was goind down, is now facing up. on the location of the plastic clip, I screwed the brake of a bike. Yes, the brake of a bike. it has rubber, to apply friction on the bike's tire to slow it down. That ruber isolates the TB that sits on top of it from the vibration of the engine. Use the same screw that held it in place to the engine mount. It now can rotate to a good spot under the TB to support it. Do not tighting it all the way, to allow it to rotate. Install the TB again and once it is secured, rotate the AGS support in place. Tighting the screw all the way and you are now done.

Photo attached.

Bomboasy

Attached Thumbnails New Method to support AGS - DYI-bottom-support-ags.jpg  
Old 02-15-2007, 01:48 PM
ca$per
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very interesting approach, but do you have more pictures by any chance? and what is the difference between the AGS v2 and AGS v3?

Good work

Old 02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
I could take more pictures of the support already installed making contact with the TB. I did not take more pictures back then. If you have done the installation, you would recognized the part.

The AGS V1 and AGS V2 were made of plastic. The AGS V3 is made of Aluminum. I could not purchase a AGS V3 and only found a V2. It is better for heat shielding, but I wanted the metal one, bad. The V2 is fine.

Let me see if I find the time to put the car on the ramps this weekend and post more pictures.

Bomboasy

Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM
ca$per
6th Gear
Honestly; I didn't do the install my self, but I was there most of the time to see the procedure and progress. Being a Projects Manager and working 6 days a week really kills the mood to do any installation my self. The only engine I work on is my V-twin. The mini goes to a special shop and the H2 to the Dealer. I would love to have the time, and the needed knowledge, to get my parts on the car together on my own, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I appreciate what you are doing and hope to hear from you soon on this issue. It's been almost 3000 miles since my AGS was on and soon will be service time, so might as well check the set up to be sure.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:18 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
I did not noticed that you already had the AGS. I assumed that you were planning to put one. I hope you saved all the parts that were removed from the engine when the AGS was installed. You will find the part there, as it is to be removed per the instructions. You need to take this picture with you when you have the installation checked. I would imagine that they left the screw that you see in the picture attached to the engine. The only other picture that I can offer is from under the car, as described in my earlier post. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me and we can talk on the phone. I am happy to help.

Bomboasy

Old 02-15-2007, 02:30 PM
ca$per
6th Gear
cool, thanks alot. and don't worry, the old parts are all there and even cleaned very well . I have a big collection of old parts for different cars and motorcycles . I used to find them handy in fabricating new parts.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lookin' good...

I'd thought of another way for the v3 owners. That's to JB Weld a tab on the back by the by-pass tube that goes back to where the original TB support bolted to the tranny housing or whatever it was.... I never got around to it before I moved on to other stuff.

Matt