Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Windshield Cowl Pressure Testing At Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Sleepless
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent the entire day driving at the track today and it rained ALL day. Much of the front straight is run at 100+ MPH and a bit of the back straight is at 80+ MPH. I looked at the intake to see if any water was getting in or around it. Some water drops made it into the area behind the airbox but I couldn't find any evidence that water was making it into the air box.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the type filter used by MINI Madness has a certain amount of water "resistence" so even if a few drops made it to the filter it would not hurt the motor.

Upshot, don't worry abot the water

Old 04-08-2003, 08:10 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atomized water in small quantities (the type that might make it through the filter) shouldn't hurt the engine. I have a very vague recollection of a shop teacher in high school spraying water in an intake, but I don't recall why he would have done it.

It's the proverbial big gulp (hydraulic lock) I'd worry about, and this wouldn't cause it. I met a stranded motorcylist who'd overfilled his crankcase by one quart. A first-hand lesson of what hyrdo lock will do to an engine!

Jeff

Old 04-08-2003, 09:13 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yesterday I was driving home from work in the horrible wet weather we're having here in jersey and as I was about to drive under an overpass what seemed like a 5gallon bucket of water hit my windshield. Must've been a car on the overpass hitting a puddle and it sprayed over the railing and onto my car below. Freaked me out but Im glad I wasnt testing that intake! Yeah it probably isnt a repeatable situation but I just though I'd mention it :smile:

--
Cheese