Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New Intake from Alta

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 03:08 PM
paulmon
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the double post but my initial question is slowly getting burried above. :smile:

Is there any reason the partition that is removed for the Alta intake can't be removed for the Rogue/Maddness intake? In place of cuting/drilling the holes?

It doesn't see to perform anything with the stock air box removed.

Paul

Old 04-05-2003, 03:51 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
>>>>Interesting piece, but I question the use of black powdercoating on something meant to be a heat shield. Wouldn't black attract and retain more heat than say a stainless steel? >>>>>>
>>
>>Hmmm....Doesn't color, and in this case, black just have to due with sunlight because black absorbs all the colors of the spectrum???????

True but (as I'm sure you know) it absorbs all wavelengths of light. Even those we can not see. The question is whether or not heat from the engine compartment would be absorbed by the hose then transmitted to the cold-air inside (through convection and radiation I suppose). Is rubber a good thermal insulator? Probably better than metal so I'd take black rubber over stainless steel or aluminimum.

Old 04-05-2003, 08:14 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
Can't believe no one commented on the new intercooler that's in plain view along with their intake.

Here's a better pic of it (poor form to cross-link to that *other* place, so sorry) in case you missed it.

Jeff

Old 04-05-2003, 08:24 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Line all boxes with heatshield...that is cool air!

Old 04-06-2003, 08:16 AM
thejamesgang
2nd Gear
>>Interesting piece, but I question the use of black powdercoating on something meant to be a heat shield. Wouldn't black attract and retain more heat than say a stainless steel?
>>
>>And as just a general Alta comment...why must they badge ALL their stuff with their own name. I don't get it.
>>
>>R

Its my understanding that a steel product with no finish is more susceptible to heat soak than something thats been painted or powdercoated. Black has been used for years on products that radiate heat away from the metal. Why do you think home and auto radiators are painted black?

Old 04-06-2003, 08:49 AM
vespa
4th Gear
Just to throw in my bit of physics. I think whoever designed this intake didn't think it through all the way. The vents by the windshield are *outgoing*. By connecting the ram-air induction system to the windshield vents, all the benefits of the ram are lost and the air just passes right by the filter and up the windshield.
So that's your answer paulmon.

And as for the black, yes it radiates heat but in this case it's doing more absorbing. It absorbs all frequencies of light, including the infrared emissions from the engine. Raw metal is extremely absorbtive as is black paint, I don't know which is more so but I suspect the difference is slight. Spraying the box inside and out with that textured rubberized undercoating stuff would probably provide excellent insulation. Although still black, rubber is a very poor heat conductor.

And as for the Blue, very strange choice indeed. I think "S" red is the most logical color as it compliments any color car, especially mine. :smile:

Old 04-06-2003, 08:52 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to throw in my bit of physics. I think whoever designed this intake didn't think it through all the way. The vents by the windshield are *outgoing*. By connecting the ram-air induction system to the windshield vents, all the benefits of the ram are lost and the air just passes right by the filter and up the windshield.
Is the above statement based on any testing?

Old 04-06-2003, 09:08 AM
cdconsor
4th Gear
>>
>>
>>
>>Is the above statement based on any testing?

Dont know about testing but (provided it is true that the air does go out the windshield vent) at least the air that gets sucked into the intake should be cold due to the pressure drop associated with the high velocity air .

Old 04-06-2003, 09:39 AM
npartist
4th Gear
From what I have heard (I have no proof, just read it :smile:

Old 04-06-2003, 09:47 AM
jlm
6th Gear
fried: that is a nice intercooler; looks to be at least 1/3 larger cross section which will give less combustion air restriction plus have more heat exhange area.

what is that other doo-dad on the passenger side with the blue hoses?

Old 04-06-2003, 10:12 AM
vespa
4th Gear
Yes the scoop is for the intercooler only, but the intake air comes through the front grille. The highest pressure air is of course that at the front of the car and the lowest pressure air is of course that on the top of the car. Therefore connecting the intake to the windshield vent will only serve to vacuum the air from the airbox. Of course the dyno test won't show this but some simple aerodynamics sure do. Ironically, the little drawing on Alta's site even seems to depict the air flowing right past the filter and up the windshield

Old 04-06-2003, 11:08 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>fried: that is a nice intercooler; looks to be at least 1/3 larger cross section which will give less combustion air restriction plus have more heat exhange area.
>>
>>what is that other doo-dad on the passenger side with the blue hoses?

John,
Thats a catch can. Seperates out all the "liquids" that leave your PCV valve so that only the gases/vapors get recycled into the engine.

--
Cheese

Old 04-06-2003, 01:15 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
Ironically, the little drawing on Alta's site even seems to depict the air flowing right past the filter and up the windshield
>>

Interesting, yet Randy said earlier in this thread that this was the Mini-Motorsport airbox mod taken to the next step. Does this also imply that Randy's mod also suffers from the same problem? From the comments I've read people seem to think that it works.

Also, the intake does 'suck' air in does it not? And thus would not be completely dependent upon air being forced into it?

Old 04-06-2003, 02:10 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
>>Yes the scoop is for the intercooler only, but the intake air comes through the front grille. The highest pressure air is of course that at the front of the car and the lowest pressure air is of course that on the top of the car. Therefore connecting the intake to the windshield vent will only serve to vacuum the air from the airbox. Of course the dyno test won't show this but some simple aerodynamics sure do. Ironically, the little drawing on Alta's site even seems to depict the air flowing right past the filter and up the windshield
>>
>>

Sorry, but I just pressure tested the cowl area and you're wrong:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...pic=8220&0

Old 04-06-2003, 02:35 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Andy's testing has borne out my simple yarn testing of the area. This is definitley a pressure area, not a vacuum area. I thought of that before I went cutting into my partition :smile:

The other doo dad in the pic is actually a seperator for the intercooler. It removes the oil that gathers in the system. I haven't tested this, but ALTA swears it is an issue. I'll let you know the next time I pull the intercooler if I find significant amounts of oil.

Randy

Old 04-06-2003, 02:53 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
The other doo dad in the pic is actually a seperator for the intercooler. It removes the oil that gathers in the system. I haven't tested this, but ALTA swears it is an issue. I'll let you know the next time I pull the intercooler if I find significant amounts of oil.
Must be at least 2 gallons of oil in here

Old 04-06-2003, 03:00 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
That's what I thought from trying to remember pulling a couple of intercoolers, but I didn't really tip the intercooler to see if anything came out. I figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt until I pull mine off next week and check it.

Randy

Old 04-06-2003, 03:03 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Why not just check you oil? :smile:

--
Cheese

Old 04-06-2003, 03:07 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Haven't lost any that's noticeable on the dipstick, but I've had leaks that haven't even shown up on the dipstick in other cars, so that may not be a completely accurate way to check.

Randy

Old 04-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
I'll be interested to see randy's dyno results from this intake. I waiting long enough and have choosen the H-Sport springs over the H&R's and may go with this intake over the Madness if it produces good results.

Old 04-06-2003, 09:22 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>And as for the Blue, very strange choice indeed. I think "S" red is the most logical color as it compliments any color car, especially mine. :smile: <<

Alta calls it their "signature" blue. Kind of like the Bianchi pale green for bikes.

Old 04-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Albert
3rd Gear
>>Alta calls it their "signature" blue. Kind of like the Bianchi pale green for bikes.
>>

Ahhh Celeste Green....

Old 04-07-2003, 04:20 AM
jlm
6th Gear
I've had my intercooler out a few times and it is dry as a bone. Where would this oil come from?

Old 04-07-2003, 05:56 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
John,
The oil comes from your PCV valve or breather. What happens is at WOT blowby from the cylinders pushes gases and oil up through the valve cover or sometimes at certain angles (on the track) your oil ends up in a spot where its easy to get sucked out. This all gets fed back into the intake to get reburnt for emmissions reasons. The purpose of the catchcan is to catch all this junk and condense as much as possible before it gets fed back into the engine. Burning oil isnt good!

--
Cheese

Old 04-07-2003, 12:20 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
The oil consumed by the motor from the PCV valve, is not going to be enough to see on the dip stick. But if you do check the IC there will be oi in it. Mainly check the rubber couplers, this seems to be where it really collects. Every Mini that i have taken the IC off, has had oil of some amount in the IC. The biggest problem with the oil in the IC is it will lower the efficiancy of the IC. That is why we came up with catch can for the mini.
Some cars, mainly NA cars, don't need the catch can, because the crankcase pressure is not very high. So less oil gets "blown" into the intake track.

Andy,
That is great that you did the test of how much pressure actually gets pushed into the vent by the window. One thing people don't understand is that with turbo and supercharged cars, a "Ram" air intake won't make much of a difference, since the supercharger sucks in a fixed amount of air with RPM.

As for the BLUE color for the silicone piece, we are going to make black and red also, since so many people have asked for it.

Jeff Perrin
http://www.Altaminiperformance.com

Quick Reply: Drivetrain New Intake from Alta