Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain S M45 Supercharger Ques

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:04 PM
MR2DRU
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S M45 Supercharger Ques

Greetings, car finatics! Wonder if anyone could answer a couple supercharger questions.

I am going to twin charge my Toyota MR2 turbo (2 L) and noticed some of you are removing the M45s from your Mini Coopers and ebaying them for $200. Before I buy one,

My specific questions:
1. where are the intake / outake locations? back and top? Can I get flange/gasket sets to mount pipes to the SC ports?
2. is bypass built in? assume it can be disabled, heard "zip tie" mentioned
3. what is up with the waterpump haha? it's completely separate? I wont have an issue?
4. stock pully 2.58 inches, stock boost is about 10-11 psi, linear?

Would appreciate any input or comments or links! Thank you. -DRU

My MR2: http://www.ackerman.tv/1991_Toyota_MR2_Turbo.html
Racer math page: http://www.ackerman.tv/racer_math.html

Background info, if you're bored..:
Where I live it is 5500 to 6000 feet elevation; my bigger t3/t4 and better intercooling helps, but spool is slow. I previously had the older Supercharged MR2 which boosted 8 psi from idle RPM!

With the turbo MR2, I can build only little boost, slowly at low end; boost goes exponential at 4,000, and its a party! There's basically no low end torque, which makes it slow off the line, for a street ride. Another option to swap a Camry V6 in (same mounts and transmission), but expensive.

I have done lots of research and calculations on twin charging; it is very complicated and there's not much info on it. Sizing, bypasses, electric supercharger clutches, EMS.. It would be nice to have extra controls, say a sc clutch to disconnect SC once turbo takes over, and extra bypass so the turbo can breathe easier, but it's got to be stock ecu, and reliable, as my daily driver.

You guys that twin charge your coopers, that is awesome. The turbo and SC help each other SO MUCH! If you just have a SC, all the extra boost energy is blowing out the tail pipe. If your turbine uses that, you get free (or more efficient) energy.

My simple goal: one small supercharger fixed pulley (no clutch), standard linear boost (no overspin), before the turbo, one pipe route, no SC bypass, just use the existing BPV to bypass total loop. Already have a larger Greddy intercooler, and water injection.

My car is running 220 to 245 HP, depending on temperature, and boost setting, 12 to 15 psi. I have 150,000 miles, all original and stock except t3/t4 turbo, bigger intercooler, water injection. My best quarter is under 14 seconds at 5800 ft elevation.