Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain MINI-Madness cowl mod with ALTA intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:21 PM
zerofighter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI-Madness cowl mod with ALTA intake?

Looking for an intake, I noticed how the MINI-Madness cowl mod increases airflow alot. The filter of the Madness intake looks as if the airflow would flow into the intake, or perhaps it will have better suction due to its design, pics to follow. Or does it really matter if I use the ALTA foam intake with the cowl mod? I also notice how the Madness heat-sheild seals off the intake completely from the engine, whereas the ALTA heat sheild does not.

Notice how the filter goes in, does it have ANY affect in airflow?

Old 09-01-2005, 10:42 PM
zerofighter
2nd Gear
Doh!

I'm an idiot, just did a search and yea..found out that I can remove the back wall instead of buying the cowl mod!

Anyway, if you bother to look does the ALTA silicon do anything?

Old 09-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by zerofighter
Doh!

I'm an idiot, just did a search and yea..found out that I can remove the back wall instead of buying the cowl mod!

Anyway, if you bother to look does the ALTA silicon do anything?
I modified my existing backwall with a dremel.

Old 09-02-2005, 05:01 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
I also notice how the Madness heat-sheild seals off the intake completely from the engine, whereas the ALTA heat sheild does not.

? The alta is sealed off..if anything it's sealed off moreso than that one.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:47 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
The silicone hose is worth 5-8WHP over the stock ALTA intake. I didn't catch if you already had an intake or not, but our hose does fit to many of the aftermarket ones out there. Also our Air Box totally does away with the back wall, always has and always will. So no need to drill yours out, if you buy ours.

You mentioned how our air box isn't completely sealed to the hood. There is a very small corner that doesn't seal, but this will not effect the HP gained by the intake. With the wall removed there is a good amount of flow coming through that vent in front of the window. So there is always plenty of cold air entering the engine. Also the reason why our box has that small corner not sealed, is because our box is wider, allowing more air around the filter. Another reason why it gains so much power.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:58 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ALTA2,

Do you think the heatshield is necessary for anything other than supporting/locating the filter?

Old 09-02-2005, 11:28 AM
zerofighter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
The silicone hose is worth 5-8WHP over the stock ALTA intake. I didn't catch if you already had an intake or not, but our hose does fit to many of the aftermarket ones out there. Also our Air Box totally does away with the back wall, always has and always will. So no need to drill yours out, if you buy ours.
Just wondering how is this acheived simply by the silicon? Is it due to the fact that there is more airflow and smoother airflow to the engine? Or is the stock tubing really that restrictive?

edit: While in the shower, I was wondering, if you remove that backplate, how safe is that with heavy rain fall? I'm sure it is safe, as long as you don't stick a hose down there, as well as the filter is back enough that it won't suck up the water. Or am I just paranoid? Also, hate to do this, but do you have dyno graphs of the intake with and without the silicon tubing.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:03 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zerofighter
Just wondering how is this acheived simply by the silicon? Is it due to the fact that there is more airflow and smoother airflow to the engine? Or is the stock tubing really that restrictive?

edit: While in the shower, I was wondering, if you remove that backplate, how safe is that with heavy rain fall? I'm sure it is safe, as long as you don't stick a hose down there, as well as the filter is back enough that it won't suck up the water. Or am I just paranoid? Also, hate to do this, but do you have dyno graphs of the intake with and without the silicon tubing.

I've driven through a hurricane and several tropical storms and nerver ahd a water intake problem.

The Alta tube has a larger ID. The interior of the OEM hose is quite smooth so that's not the issue.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:24 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Andy,
Yes the shield is important to keep the heat out. Which it basically does, except for the small corner that is exposed. What i was saying is that there is plenty of fresh cold air entering the intake that will keep that little corner from letting in heat. Yes, we haven't tested (because i know you will ask) if covering that corner up make any change in temp in the air box. But the wider box with more area surrounding the filter out weighs the possible 1-2 degree air temp change.

The hose we have proven to add that 5-8WHP on a 19% and a 15% car. It is do to the larger ID and smoother interior of the hose. I don't belive anyone has done this on a stock pulley car, but i would guess similar gains are had.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:39 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Andy,
Yes the shield is important to keep the heat out. Which it basically does, except for the small corner that is exposed. What i was saying is that there is plenty of fresh cold air entering the intake that will keep that little corner from letting in heat. Yes, we haven't tested (because i know you will ask) if covering that corner up make any change in temp in the air box. But the wider box with more area surrounding the filter out weighs the possible 1-2 degree air temp change.
I wasn't referring to the corner gap. Moreso the actual temperature of the air that is inside the filter with the heat shield in place, compared to the actual temperature of the air that is inside the filter with no heat shield in place. Could drilling holes in the heatshield reduce pressure drop enough to outweigh any increase in air temperature?

Old 09-02-2005, 03:00 PM
mmMatt
2nd Gear

You mentioned how our air box isn't completely sealed to the hood. There is a very small corner that doesn't seal, but this will not effect the HP gained by the intake. With the wall removed there is a good amount of flow coming through that vent in front of the window. So there is always plenty of cold air entering the engine. Also the reason why our box has that small corner not sealed, is because our box is wider, allowing more air around the filter. Another reason why it gains so much power.
Please explain to the community how the silicone hose alone adds 5-8 wheel horsepower when the inner diameter of the thottle body remains the same? We're curious as well

I also notice how the Madness heat-sheild seals off the intake completely from the engine, whereas the ALTA heat sheild does not.
Our heat shield follows the contour of the hood. The purpose of this is obviously to keep the hot air out at all times.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:49 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Andy,
got it. That is a test that would be nice to see. Basically Randy's test (when ever he gets it done) will have the HAI along with the AGS, Rouge, Alta. Should be pretty good to see. Normaly the intake temps don't make a huge difference, on other cars. But with the mini, since the IC is already somewhat hindered by air flow and other things, i think the cooler the air the better. Now it may only be worth a couple of HP, but with our air box and the hose that couple of HP can add up to enough to make it stand out.

Matt,
Your thereory of the TB being the same size sounds good, but it doens't work. Say you have your TB and a hose attached to it that is the same size as the TB. If it is 1FT long it will be X restirctive. If you make it 4 ft long it will more restrictive and loose power. Like if you take a garden hose and try to blow through it (10ft long) then cut it down to 3" long it will be much easier to blow through.

Attached are a couple of graphs of a 19% car with and with out the hose showing the difference.

Attached Thumbnails MINI-Madness cowl mod with ALTA intake?-altanohose19chip.gif   MINI-Madness cowl mod with ALTA intake?-altawhose19chip.gif