Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:05 AM
jlm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shortblock

Endyn has finished it

Last edited by jlm; 01-18-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:37 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yea John. Thanks for sharing the process with the rest of us. The idea of a well thought out, precision built motor is the stuff of wet dreams.

Old 07-21-2005, 06:35 AM
jlm
6th Gear
better images, I hopeby the way, how does one insert a large image directly into the post?

Last edited by jlm; 01-18-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:35 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hot diggity! Only your first pic showed up as a thumbnail, the other two aren't clickable.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks very nice!

What's changed from stock?

Old 07-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Those pistons seem to have a beefier top ring land than stock, am I right?

Old 07-21-2005, 08:08 AM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
better images, I hopeby the way, how does one insert a large image directly into the post?
JLM,

Click the icon that has the yellow rectangle with the mountain and enter the URL of where the image exists on the net.

Rob

Old 07-21-2005, 09:21 AM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
bling bling!!
Mike

Old 07-21-2005, 09:34 AM
pbraun
5th Gear
Nice!...Those Carillo looking rods...... what is this project? I have a pal who races SCCA in a classic Mini, who wants to build up a new MINI motor to full race specs and install in the old chassis, accepting the weight penalty, and a great increase in horsepower.

This block looks like just the ticket!

I am not up on the thread, I guess, not frequenting the site too much any more, but.......
what's up with this project? perhaps we could help each other? What cam/head mods are being contemplated?
Stock trany? or not? we may be considering rear wheel drive, but likely not. although the gears have got to go!
what application? i.e. street, track......?

jlm - PM in your in-box ! cheers, Peter

Old 07-21-2005, 09:54 AM
jlm
6th Gear
in brief:

Crower rods, Endyn .020 over custom forged Rollerwave pistons with quench pads, thicker top ring land; Endyn precison assembly including bore/piston sizing, crank fitting.

will be fitted to an Endyn ported head with larger ex valves. remote oil filter and cooler. Not sure yet of pulley size, but the max condition (if un-turboed) would be a 19%, 440 injectors and apexi, maybe something tricky for intercooling.

car already has beefed clutch and quaife

www.theoldone.com
is the builder; register on his board and look up mini posts in "ask TOO"

Last edited by jlm; 07-21-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:01 AM
namwob
5th Gear
Your not coating any of the internals? oh well.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:22 AM
haulinS
3rd Gear
yowsa!

looks perdy!

Old 07-21-2005, 11:36 AM
pbraun
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
www.theoldone.com
What? I guess I am as dense as wood......I don't get it.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:48 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlm
in brief:

Crower rods, Endyn .020 over custom forged Rollerwave pistons with quench pads, thicker top ring land; Endyn precison assembly including bore/piston sizing, crank fitting.

will be fitted to an Endyn ported head with larger ex valves. remote oil filter and cooler. Not sure yet of pulley size, but the max condition (if un-turboed) would be a 19%, 440 injectors and apexi, maybe something tricky for intercooling.

car already has beefed clutch and quaife

www.theoldone.com
Looks good on paper, now let's see some numbers ! Mad props on the 'block. It's a thing of beauty (and lust).

Old 07-21-2005, 12:09 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
Endyn has finished it
Wow... that was fast

Old 07-21-2005, 12:48 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
That thing is too beautiful looking to put in a car! Build a pedastal with nice bright spotlights in the middle of your garage.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:52 PM
pbraun
5th Gear
Right, then.......never mind the nickel dropped!

Old 07-21-2005, 02:09 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow! that is a thing of beauty! It looks great!

Just out of curiousty... why did you put new pistons and rods in?

Did the Motor need to be "freshened up?"
or do you plan on turboing or possibley adding Nitrous?
also are those pistons stronger but the same compression as stock?

just curious because the stock block... with stock pistons can surrive up to somewhere around the mid to high 300 hp level so i was just curious to see if you got some trickery up your sleve? Possibly some big plans for the future?

Old 07-21-2005, 03:39 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isellem
wow! that is a thing of beauty! It looks great!

Just out of curiousty... why did you put new pistons and rods in?

Did the Motor need to be "freshened up?"
or do you plan on turboing or possibley adding Nitrous?
also are those pistons stronger but the same compression as stock?

just curious because the stock block... with stock pistons can surrive up to somewhere around the mid to high 300 hp level so i was just curious to see if you got some trickery up your sleve? Possibly some big plans for the future?
the block may survive a few runs at 300 if you're lucky, but there have now been a few reported cases of the engines failing, presumably due to the higher boost. To make the power reliably, you have to do just what he's doing .

Old 07-21-2005, 04:33 PM
jlm
6th Gear
it was a wild hair (or rabbit); I couldn't resist.
RU hit it: bling, bling.
as far as JeffS' comment: no sheet, but at least many other pitfalls have been worked out, now that the mini has seen 2-3 yrs duty, eh?

Last edited by jlm; 07-21-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:21 PM
jlm
6th Gear
a comment from the builder:

"I spent a LOT of time removing ragged edges left from machining the castings, and then matching the upper and lower passages to one another, as there were several that overlapped severely. The pump cavity's mating surface was pretty irregular, as the mill that machined it apparently hadn't been swept-in properly. I used a piece of 600grit on a plate of glass to even out the surface and obtain a .0009" rotor to pump housing clearance.
I also bumped the installed relief valve spring pressure to 14psi from it's original 12.5, as I think the slight pressure increase will help insure proper lubrication with thin motor oil and the clearances we used for the crank (.0020") and the rods (.0017").

Old 07-22-2005, 05:08 PM
jlm
6th Gear
another comment from TOO:

"The Mini block's top-fuel worthy compared to the Honda blocks. Iron blocks offer a trememdous rigidity and strength advantage over aluminum pieces. The Honda K series engines are a big step forward with their massive girdles, but the cylinders don't provide the strength you need for big-boost.
The oil pump clearances are similar between our modded Honda's and Mini's."

Old 07-22-2005, 08:02 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
Congrats John.

Hopefully the wait will be worth it.

Let us know how it goes when she is installed. I'm especially curious about fuel consumption improvements.

Old 07-23-2005, 04:24 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
blocks failing at 300hp? really? never heard the block failing because of 300hp. I highly doubt that the block is reaching structual failure at 300 hp mark. What i do believe is people throwing rods through the block due to bad tuning which then causes detination. That i believe 100% Every car... wait... every motor on the planet will have that happen if the detination is bad enough. I am 100% confident that the block is capable of stress exceding the 400hp mark... it has been done... time after time... after time... and the car still idles like a lexus... (stock cam and compression) its ALL in the tune! Its ALL in the engine management! It has everything to do with fuel and igntion! fuel in two kinds of ways... the amount of fuel being supplied and also the type of fuel being supplied... running over 300 hp on pump gas on a MINI... Not my idea of wise can it be done... yeah... i would't do it were i live (phoenix) were people die due to extreme heat! but so cal... could be entirely more feasible. I know that their are honda guys running that much hp from the same displacement engine on pump gas but hondas also have much better engine managment systems available... somthing that i cannot wait for on a MINI! Then we will get some big numbers (HP)... low times(E/T)... and great reliability and driveability!

Now... i am not saying the block is industractble but it is an incrediably stout block! Ask any of the guys at endyne... we have it easy compared to the honda guys (i am a former turbocharged honda guy with quite a bit of experiance with tuning all makes and models of cars, by no means do i think i know everything please don't take it that way... i may just have a little bit more experiance than some of you may think:smile: ) but i am just saying... we have been blessed with a great engine block from the factory!

Old 07-23-2005, 05:57 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isellem
blocks failing at 300hp? really? never heard the block failing because of 300hp. I highly doubt that the block is reaching structual failure at 300 hp mark. What i do believe is people throwing rods through the block due to bad tuning which then causes detination. That i believe 100% Every car... wait... every motor on the planet will have that happen if the detination is bad enough. I am 100% confident that the block is capable of stress exceding the 400hp mark... it has been done... time after time... after time... and the car still idles like a lexus... (stock cam and compression) its ALL in the tune! Its ALL in the engine management! It has everything to do with fuel and igntion! fuel in two kinds of ways... the amount of fuel being supplied and also the type of fuel being supplied... running over 300 hp on pump gas on a MINI... Not my idea of wise can it be done... yeah... i would't do it were i live (phoenix) were people die due to extreme heat! but so cal... could be entirely more feasible. I know that their are honda guys running that much hp from the same displacement engine on pump gas but hondas also have much better engine managment systems available... somthing that i cannot wait for on a MINI! Then we will get some big numbers (HP)... low times(E/T)... and great reliability and driveability!

Now... i am not saying the block is industractble but it is an incrediably stout block! Ask any of the guys at endyne... we have it easy compared to the honda guys (i am a former turbocharged honda guy with quite a bit of experiance with tuning all makes and models of cars, by no means do i think i know everything please don't take it that way... i may just have a little bit more experiance than some of you may think:smile: ) but i am just saying... we have been blessed with a great engine block from the factory!
You are right. My faux pas. Basically, the bottom ends failed on [maybe all?] two of the TC'd cars I know of, for one reason or another. One threw a rod while tuning [it, the devil sits broken, btw] and another had some loss of cylinder pressure of yet undetermined cause. What I meant to say was that the bottom end, as it stands, has failed. It was probably the pistons/rods.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain shortblock