Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Buzzing with Alta Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 06:27 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzzing with Alta Intake

After installing my new Alta Intake (w/o hose) I noticed a very high pitched buzzing (almost tingy) noise. Is this normal? I checked all my connections and bolts to make sure nothing was vibrating. I know there is supposed to be alot more noise but its more like a buzzing. Mostly when letting off the gas.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:55 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
yes it's normal with Alta intake... Enjoy the sound!!

I also have Alta intake since 2-3 weeks, and I love it a lot! I had an ABD Monster MINI air intake for 2 years and the Alta definitively feels way better! More throttle response and a little more punch at lower RPM...

Old 06-11-2005, 05:20 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
yes it's normal with Alta intake... Enjoy the sound!!

I also have Alta intake since 2-3 weeks, and I love it a lot! I had an ABD Monster MINI air intake for 2 years and the Alta definitively feels way better! More throttle response and a little more punch at lower RPM...
Alright good to know But the buzzing noise is kind of annoying. I need to find someone local who can assure me that what I am hearing is normal. Its like a buzzing rattle. The rest of the supercharger and such noise I know thats normal.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:02 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's be clear here...

I don't think what you're describing is the "normal" Alta intake sound...

To me, at least, the Alta sounds like a jet engine whine, but only while accelerating. When you take your foot off the gas, I don't think you should be hearing much, if any, sounds from the Alta intake itself.

The other sound you might hear, although to a lesser extent, is if you removed the back plastic wall behind the intake box, you'll hear just the sound of sucking, for lack of a better term. It's the air literally being sucked into the intake. But again, I don't think you'd be able to say that air sucking sound is even close to your sound. Both the enhanced supercharger whine and the air sucking sound should disappear once you let off the throttle.

I agree with you, something else must be buzzing. How about the clamps that hold the filter on... Is there lots of excess metal hanging out behind the screw post? Is that metal vibrating when you let off the gas? Look for any part or piece under the hood that you moved or removed to install the intake, and see if any of those parts could be the culprit.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:26 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I'll have to look at it more. I did remove the back plastic. Its all in except the silicon hose right now.

Old 06-11-2005, 07:29 AM
asterix2112
2nd Gear
It's normally called a high pitched whistle that happens when getting into or out of the throttle. it's the air going through the throttle body at just the right angle to make the whistle. It's perfectly normal if not slightly annoying (and exists with the stock filter too, just not nearly as loud) If that's not your noise then you have something else.- John