Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Just installed MINI S Air Intake from Madness

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 01:56 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed it, as a rainstorm was coming on. 15 minuets work at the most. When I took it out for a test, was it my imagination or did I feel a genuine change in power. With it starting to rain, traffic was slowing down, as I wanted to open up a little. Tomorrow I have a 150-mile trip on both highway and city streets. I'll be able to tell then. I do like the feel and sound, but was this physiological or was there a real boost in power.

Old 12-19-2002, 02:04 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I have nearly 10,000 miles on my MINI madness intake. It's been great. There is a power difference, and the sound is nice too. Of the intake's I've seen in the metal, I like the MINI Madness constuction the best.

Old 12-19-2002, 02:12 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Dave,

Thanks for the input. I looked and read around the ads and threads. The Madness looked the best and once I installed it I was sure I made the right choice.

Old 12-19-2002, 02:15 PM
2minis
6th Gear
I went by the numbers I saw. BMP installed today.
vvvvrrroooommmmm...rrrrreeeeeennnnnnnnnn
They probably all make that sound and the sound
is sweet.
I think I've noticed a difference even in the low RPM
pull....others???

Old 12-19-2002, 02:41 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It has shown an increase with independent dyno results. Your "seat" didn't lie to you. Depending on other modifications, you could get as much as 15 hp with the MINI-Madness intake. That number came form that intake with the Magnaflow Exhaust, and the Quciksilver exhaust numbers weren't far behind that.

I have driven the Piprcross S intake, the MINI-Madness intake and the BMP. Here are my thoughts:

Pipercross: Looks really cool, lowest restriction type air filter. Not as much supercharger noise as the others, smaller filter element than the others, floppy install (the filter is only held in place by the hole in the heat shield and the intake hose), modest increase in power.

BMP: The loudest of the bunch (but not too loud at all). Lower profile than other styles, cool looking heat shield, smallest increase in horsepower (but the noise may trick you into "feeling" something more). Very nice install.

MINI-Madness: In my opinion, the nicest intake on the market. Largest filter size by far of the bunch, very finished install with good detail work, moderate sound increase, largest horsepower gain, cool looking.

I have access to all three of these, so my opinion isn't biased (something I intend to continue to offer to MCO).

Here's the MINI-Madness

Here's the Pipercross:

Here's the BMP:

Hope this helps.

Randy
randy@webbmotorsports.com

Old 12-19-2002, 02:44 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
Hey Randy

I too have been looking at buying the Madness/Rogue intake. I saw that K&N as one out now that is really sweet looking and includes pipe upgrading too. But this thing runs $399! Any experience with this one yet?

Thanks

Old 12-19-2002, 02:49 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
>>Hey Randy
>>
>>I too have been looking at buying the Madness/Rogue intake. I saw that K&N as one out now that is really sweet looking and includes pipe upgrading too. But this thing runs $399! Any experience with this one yet?
>>
>>Thanks

I saw the price, and frankly don't think the upgrade of the intake hose is worth the extra cash. I do have access to it though, so let me know if you want to be the first. I just can't reccomend with a good conscience spending that much when the other three provide the same thing for less (much less).

The pricing by the way:

MINI-Madness: $240
Pipercross: $215
BMP: $170
K&N: $400!!!

Randy
randy@mini-motorsport.com

Old 12-19-2002, 02:49 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Randy...just emailed you....

Old 12-19-2002, 02:53 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
That pipercross one looks like a cheap knock-off of the Rogue. Notice how the heat shield is flat along the top, thereby not using the hood as a top. Bah.

I really have to second the vote for the Rogue. If nothing else, my buying experience from BMP left a VERY sour taste in my mouth. Not to mention dyno proof that it wasn't making what it advertises, unlike the Rogue which dyno'd a solid 7-9hp over baseline, just like what they advertise!!

R

Old 12-19-2002, 03:02 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Click Numbers I went by.
As I said I had no problems getting the BMP. Ordered
Sunday...delivered Wednesday....
Randy...did you dyno the intakes with stock exhaust?
I don't know the methods used on the link at numbers
above.

Old 12-19-2002, 03:05 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
>>Click Numbers I went by.
>>As I said I had no problems getting the BMP. Ordered
>>Sunday...delivered Wednesday....
>>Randy...did you dyno the intakes with stock exhaust?
>>I don't know the methods used on the link at numbers
>>above.

Hey 2minis

This is second hand info... but reading different message boards... there was at least 2 dif parties who tested both using stock exhaust.

The Madness/Rogue was getting about 7 - 9 HP and the BMP was getting 2 - 4 HP.

Saw these numbers on Roadfly.com and on MINI2.com

Old 12-19-2002, 03:09 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
With the stock exhaust, from what I remember, the BMP only made 4hp. It made some more with the exhaust, but of course the exhaust would make the numbers higher on their own. The MINI-Madness intake on it's own made 9.

The cool thing about the BMP though, is that you can use the BMP strut brace, which is the best one out there right now. The drawback of that strut brace is that you can ONLY use it with the BMP intake.

Randy

Old 12-19-2002, 03:09 PM
2minis
6th Gear
After I do the Magnaflow I'll try the Madness....

Old 12-19-2002, 03:10 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
>>After I do the Magnaflow I'll try the Madness....

2minis,
I sent you an e-mail about the Magnaflow

Old 12-19-2002, 03:10 PM
2minis
6th Gear
>>With the stock exhaust, from what I remember, the BMP only made 4hp. It made some more with the exhaust, but of course the exhaust would make the numbers higher on their own. The MINI-Madness intake on it's own made 9.
>>
>>The cool thing about the BMP though, is that you can use the BMP strut brace, which is the best one out there right now. The drawback of that strut brace is that you can ONLY use it with the BMP intake.
>>
>>Randy
.....and it's only money....

Old 12-19-2002, 03:13 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear

>>I saw the price, and frankly don't think the upgrade of the intake hose is worth the extra cash. I do have access to it though, so let me know if you want to be the first.

What do you mean by this Randy? I can come to you to have it installed? I'm guessing it isn't free?

I'm in SLC... you're in Denver?

I may be interested in being a guinee pig.

Old 12-19-2002, 03:20 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
I mean if you wanted to buy it from me, I could get it for you and you would be the first. If you drove all the way from SLC, I would install it for half of the install time though, just to be able to comment on it knowledgably (sp?).

Randy

Old 12-19-2002, 03:23 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
>>I mean if you wanted to buy it from me, I could get it for you and you would be the first. If you drove all the way from SLC, I would install it for half of the install time though, just to be able to comment on it knowledgably (sp?).
>>
>>Randy

Gotcha... thanks for the offer. Not sure I want to venture through the mountains during the winter in my MCS.

The Madness intake looks solid enough to me, I think I'm going to go ahead and get that one.

I appreciate your knowledge and testing in regards to these intakes. Much more comfortable now purchasing one.

Thanks

Old 12-19-2002, 03:26 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
High Anxiety,

Thanks. If you want to get the MINI-Madness intake, I could order it for you. I am a vendor of MINI-Madness, Magnaflow, Diamond Racing, Moss and others. What I have done is the research on which products are the best out there for the new MINI, and I carry only those from whichever place carries it. I would appreiciate your business.

Randy

Old 12-19-2002, 03:41 PM
2minis
6th Gear
High...Alta still rules...snowboards or not.
Randy...emailed ya back...

Old 12-19-2002, 03:57 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
No, I emailed you!

Old 12-19-2002, 04:10 PM
2minis
6th Gear
No...I emailed you....

Old 12-19-2002, 04:11 PM
MiniMax15
2nd Gear
I went the route of the BMP air intake and yes you hear more under the hood, the feeling is much different, seems to be quicker off the line and less of the bog feeling. Glad that I did it.

Steve :smile:

Old 12-25-2002, 08:58 PM
jimmer0
3rd Gear
>>High...Alta still rules...snowboards or not.

Amen brother!!

Old 12-27-2002, 07:56 AM
SoCalTom
2nd Gear
We have a Monster Mini intake and a Monster Mini strut tower brace on our MCS-- got them several months ago as pre-production prototypes (now they have both been in regular production for a few months). Does anybody have any dyno number run on the Monster Mini intake (MM themselves do not)?

We'll probably have our future dyno work by RMS (Race Marque Systems-- just there last week looking at their 500+ hp M Roadster and 600+ hp Z8 project cars for the L.A. autoshow... ah, to be infused with excess amounts of disposable cash would be great...). Anyone have any other recommendations for dyno facilities in So Cal (that they have worked with and had good experiences with)?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Just installed MINI S Air Intake from Madness