Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 19% GIAC with larger injectors - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:59 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xsmini
Awww Man you guys are going to cost me more money
First started posting here just 2 1/2 weeks ago with a completely stock car and now I already have 19%, injectors, GIAC, JCW CAI, VGS, and H-Sport comp rear bar installed (Thanks Eric). Now it drives like it should have all along: like an expensive sporty car--power delivery reminds me of the 225HP TT. Smooth (sorry: smooooth) and urgent, but not scary fast. Like greatgro, I'm actually a lot more impressed by the improved drivability than the power increase, which is somewhat less than a 50-shot of nitrous.

So it could actually save you money if you were considering trading up to an '05 Works just to lose the stumble/yo-yo/bad idle.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:22 PM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
how much more hp could i expect? (mods on my sig)

Old 07-27-2005, 08:02 PM
lcubed
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how are the 19% pulley cars w/ GIAC holding up in the 90+ weather
that we're experiencing on the east coast??

this weather is as close to desert/swamp testing that we'll get...

Old 07-28-2005, 04:37 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lcubed
how are the 19% pulley cars w/ GIAC holding up in the 90+ weather
that we're experiencing on the east coast??

this weather is as close to desert/swamp testing that we'll get...
I just responded with a full page report but it didn't post. Now I'm pissed and out of time. Let's just say for now that the GIAC/injectors/19% REALLY SHINES in extreme hot temps. It gets an A++ mod rating under extreme heat conditions!

Old 07-28-2005, 04:52 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
I'e been autocrossing in this heat and have had no troubles even when the intercooler is too hot to touch and the fan has to run for 5 minutes after I shut the motor off.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:48 AM
lcubed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by greatgro
I just responded with a full page report but it didn't post. Now I'm pissed and out of time. Let's just say for now that the GIAC/injectors/19% REALLY SHINES in extreme hot temps. It gets an A++ mod rating under extreme heat conditions!
any hopes of the full page report??

Old 08-16-2005, 01:26 PM
jac
1st Gear
a full report would be great.

Also, any one in the philly area willing to demonstrate their 19%-ed car? Nothing crazy, just take a passenger for a ride.... thanks!

-jac

Old 08-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Pocket_Rocket
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jac
a full report would be great.

Also, any one in the philly area willing to demonstrate their 19%-ed car? Nothing crazy, just take a passenger for a ride.... thanks!

-jac
If you want to drive to Newtown Bucks County..

Old 08-16-2005, 06:32 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lcubed
any hopes of the full page report??
I put the report two weeks ago in another thread. But in case anyone missed it... here it is:

Ok. Here is the update people have been asking for. Today hit 100 degrees (again). And yet once again, my MINI performed like a champ. He now has 74k+ miles on him. 63k of them with some type of aftermarket supercharger pulley. When I upgraded to the GIAC ecu and injectors, Eric (Helix) had told me I’ll notice the greatest difference in the summer. The reason for this is b/c the GIAC and larger injectors will allow my MCS to run richer at the top end which will keep temps down AND increase power! I had the mod done in the cooler weather and the difference was very noticeable and well worth the money. The latest “mandatory” software update made my MINI run like crap basically and the GIAC cleared up almost all the crappiness.

Many others have warned that a 19% would suffer tremendously in the the hot weather due to the extra heat produced. Some even suggested that a 19% in the heat would produce less power than a 15% pulley. This was quite a silly comment at best but many people took it to heart and reiterated these nonsense warnings.

Well let me tell you, Helix was right. Today in the 100 degree, high humidity heat here in Jersey, with the auto A/C on full blast (LO) all day, my MINI performed like a true champ. I couldn’t believe how fast and responsive it was – especially with the A/C blasting all day. The only RPM range that was sluggish was the 1k RPM range. In cooler weather, the little 1.6L with a 19% pulley, GIAC and injectors performs very admirably in the 1k RPM range. But everywhere else my MINI kicked butt. Real butt.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I originally upgraded to a 19% from a 15% b/c the 15% although was pleasing most of the year, in the summer under high temps and with the A/C, the car still was lacking big time in the power department. The upgrade to a 19% helped tremendously – in all weather conditions – summer included. But it really wasn’t until this summer and on a car that now has 74k miles on it that I can 100% declare my mods perfect. The way it ran today you would think it was 65 degrees out and the A/C was off. I thought the GIAC and injectors mod was excellent when I got it. But let me tell you, before you run out and spend $1k-$2k on an intercooler, you should try this combo if you have the 19% or are thinking about the 19%. The GIAC must keep the temps down otherwise I should have seen a serious power loss. Yet my MINI’s acceleration really surprised me today and I had a bunch of fantastic rides today.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:21 PM
jlm
6th Gear
I'll just slip this comment in here, since greatgro is watching...what happened to the plasma booster thread?

Old 08-16-2005, 07:30 PM
lcubed
4th Gear
thanks for the review!!

i missed it when since i was internetless for a week
while i was in HI for a funeral.

starting to save up the pennies for the 19%, giac, injectors and intake!!

Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 PM
AMPR
3rd Gear
19% Giac Good

Great write-up greatgro. I've been running the 15% GIAC & pulley for the last year and finally made the jump last week to the 19% GIAC, pulley & injectors. So I agree fully with every point you've made. It's like driving a MINI on steroids.

Like ggro said if you want the most bang for your buck skip the intercooler and for under $2000 add the 19% GIAC package, you won't be disappointed.

Originally Posted by greatgro
I put the report two weeks ago in another thread. But in case anyone missed it... here it is:

Ok. Here is the update people have been asking for. Today hit 100 degrees (again). And yet once again, my MINI performed like a champ. He now has 74k+ miles on him. 63k of them with some type of aftermarket supercharger pulley. When I upgraded to the GIAC ecu and injectors, Eric (Helix) had told me I’ll notice the greatest difference in the summer. The reason for this is b/c the GIAC and larger injectors will allow my MCS to run richer at the top end which will keep temps down AND increase power! I had the mod done in the cooler weather and the difference was very noticeable and well worth the money. The latest “mandatory” software update made my MINI run like crap basically and the GIAC cleared up almost all the crappiness.

Many others have warned that a 19% would suffer tremendously in the the hot weather due to the extra heat produced. Some even suggested that a 19% in the heat would produce less power than a 15% pulley. This was quite a silly comment at best but many people took it to heart and reiterated these nonsense warnings.

Well let me tell you, Helix was right. Today in the 100 degree, high humidity heat here in Jersey, with the auto A/C on full blast (LO) all day, my MINI performed like a true champ. I couldn’t believe how fast and responsive it was – especially with the A/C blasting all day. The only RPM range that was sluggish was the 1k RPM range. In cooler weather, the little 1.6L with a 19% pulley, GIAC and injectors performs very admirably in the 1k RPM range. But everywhere else my MINI kicked butt. Real butt.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I originally upgraded to a 19% from a 15% b/c the 15% although was pleasing most of the year, in the summer under high temps and with the A/C, the car still was lacking big time in the power department. The upgrade to a 19% helped tremendously – in all weather conditions – summer included. But it really wasn’t until this summer and on a car that now has 74k miles on it that I can 100% declare my mods perfect. The way it ran today you would think it was 65 degrees out and the A/C was off. I thought the GIAC and injectors mod was excellent when I got it. But let me tell you, before you run out and spend $1k-$2k on an intercooler, you should try this combo if you have the 19% or are thinking about the 19%. The GIAC must keep the temps down otherwise I should have seen a serious power loss. Yet my MINI’s acceleration really surprised me today and I had a bunch of fantastic rides today.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:52 AM
synergy1
2nd Gear
The one thing I didn't see in the posts on this thread is the cost. I currently have a 19% combo, 380 cc injectors, alta intake and intercooler plus the AFC. Would someone post the cost for the GIAC software?

I've directly contacted GIAC and well as one of their local reps (Dallas) but received no response.

Thanks

Bob

Old 08-17-2005, 04:58 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Helix charges $325 I think.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:18 AM
jac
1st Gear
thanks for the great write up!

PR, I will PM you about taking a ride up to bucks sometime soon...thanks!!!

-jac

Old 08-17-2005, 10:19 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by eMINI
Helix charges $325 I think.
See
http://helix13.com/html/products/pro...ew.php?p=6&h=m
My local GIAC authorized location charges alot more than $325 for the flash and more for labor to install each time.

Helix13 charges $325 installed.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:56 AM
04yellowS
3rd Gear
I am assuming the 380/400/440cc injectors that everyone is using are rated @ 43psi and not the MINI's 51psi, where they would actually be rated more.

Am I correct? I'm trying to find some cheaper ones and want to make sure of that fact.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2005, 10:04 AM
synergy1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 04yellowS
I am assuming the 380/400/440cc injectors that everyone is using are rated @ 43psi and not the MINI's 51psi, where they would actually be rated more.

Am I correct? I'm trying to find some cheaper ones and want to make sure of that fact.

Thanks
I can't answer your question directly except to say that mine are Bosch 380's.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:16 AM
04yellowS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by synergy1
I can't answer your question directly except to say that mine are Bosch 380's.
Thanks
I'm about 99% sure that everybody is quoting the rating of the injector @ 43psi so I'll go with that.

Old 08-21-2005, 03:48 PM
wc351
2nd Gear
Injectors

What is the size difference in the Mini Injectors verus a Mustang? I ask because those injectors are everywhere. I've learned many of my tricks on Turbo Buicks and 5.0 Mustangs, so was just curious if there was a physical size difference in the injectors. If my calculations are correct then a 380cc injector would be 36lb/hr. If this is incorrect please let me know.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:17 PM
04yellowS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wc351
What is the size difference in the Mini Injectors verus a Mustang? I ask because those injectors are everywhere. I've learned many of my tricks on Turbo Buicks and 5.0 Mustangs, so was just curious if there was a physical size difference in the injectors. If my calculations are correct then a 380cc injector would be 36lb/hr. If this is incorrect please let me know.
That's what I calculated. Those mustang type injectors are the ones Helix sells(they also sell the JCW injectors), although they do need to be modified some to fit...also a spacer may be needed for the fuel rail. I found a set of these new for $150 on ebay. I've already modified them some, but not as much as Helix. Have yet to install them.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:19 AM
bouray
3rd Gear
The stock injectors are approximately 21mm diameter and 53mm o-ring to o-ring. Any larger and you might have manifold pocket issues. Any longer and the fuel rail has to be lifted(too much lifting may interfere with the TMIC). The Delphi Multitec II Shorty (EV3?) may be a possibility. The 380 Bosch(Siemens) part number for reference is 13-53-0-391-511. For sourcing try contacting five0motorsports. Good luck.

Originally Posted by wc351

Old 06-07-2007, 03:34 PM
paulgrant
1st Gear
It sounds like in order to benefit the most from GIAC you need to go to 19% pulley and larger injectors. My question is will there be any benefit at all if I stay with a 15% with stock injectors. I have a Millteck exhaust,Webb CAI and RAF.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:05 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by paulgrant
It sounds like in order to benefit the most from GIAC you need to go to 19% pulley and larger injectors. My question is will there be any benefit at all if I stay with a 15% with stock injectors. I have a Millteck exhaust,Webb CAI and RAF.
Think of the whole picture on your upgrades.

If you want GIAC with injectors and pulley then think-
Max benefit will come with GIAC tuned for 19% SC reduction pulley and JCW injectors or the equivalent injector upgrade.

You can opt for other GIAC tunings such as that for
15% SC reduction pulley and stock injectors and while offers less total performance it's still pretty good for daily use and driving events as needed.
Key is to get some sort of ECU flash or tuning for your mods- I mean specifically for them not generic.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:18 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
GIAC does have a flash for 15% and stock injectors. It's supposed to be smooth like the JCW as well but power gains are more modest. The 19% version discussed here produces an impressive boost everywhere which is most noticeable in the low-end and thus perfect for a street car.

If you think about it as about like an aftermarket JCW you won't be far off, since it provides refinement rather than raw power. Like the JCW it works without major mods, so if you wouldn't be happy with 185whp then a custom tune may be more appropriate for you. But reliability is paramount for a street car so a minimalist approach would be both reasonable and economical. In other words, the tune should be matched with the parts, and the parts should be selected with the type of driving you have in mind.

I would suggest checking with your GIAC dealer to see if they are willing to upgrade you to the 19% tune later.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 19% GIAC with larger injectors - first impressions