Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain WMW Exhaust Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Marwan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WMW Exhaust Rubbing

Hi all,

I have recently installed WMW exhaust. The problem is that it rubs on the metal plate that goes under the centre pipe. I have used the stock rubber mounts. Any ideas?

Old 11-02-2018, 01:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Looks like you have the center pipe on upside down as it doesn't touch the support plate when on correct.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Marwan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Looks like you have the center pipe on upside down as it doesn't touch the support plate when on correct.
If you look at it, the test pipe is tilted. This is the only way both center pipe and test pipe would fit. If I turn around the test pipe by 180’s, I think the sensor cable would be short to reach or the cable might get burned if it touches the test pipe’s top.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:36 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
The oxygen sensor harness has nothing to do with that section of the exhaust. They only attach to the header itself.
And yes, I agree. I just installed another brand of cat-back exhaust. The "hangers" NEED to be below the center of the center tube, NOT above, like you have it.
One obvious tell...see how far the red silicone hangers are stretched out of shape in pictures #1 thru #6. They should NOT be stretched out of shape like that.

Mike

Old 11-05-2018, 07:22 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Marwan

If you look at it, the test pipe is tilted. This is the only way both center pipe and test pipe would fit. If I turn around the test pipe by 180’s, I think the sensor cable would be short to reach or the cable might get burned if it touches the test pipe’s top.
It's clearly upside down and not an issue with our exhaust. The test pipe you have doesn't look right and is not like the original as the sensor originally came out at a 90deg angle. Your sensor is at about a 45 deg angle toward the ground.
So first turn the front pipe of our exhaust over to be correct. Then deal with the test pipe to try and turn it so it will bolt up. It actually looks like the front flange may turn if you loosen it up.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
bratling (11-11-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Marwan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
It's clearly upside down and not an issue with our exhaust. The test pipe you have doesn't look right and is not like the original as the sensor originally came out at a 90deg angle. Your sensor is at about a 45 deg angle toward the ground.
So first turn the front pipe of our exhaust over to be correct. Then deal with the test pipe to try and turn it so it will bolt up. It actually looks like the front flange may turn if you loosen it up.
Ok. Got your idea and will try tilting the front pipe+test pipe by 180’ to make it correct.
My question is: based on your design, are the metal hangers going to fine by turning the front pipe? Or does metal hangers bending is involved?

Old 11-12-2018, 06:25 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Marwan

Ok. Got your idea and will try tilting the front pipe+test pipe by 180’ to make it correct.
My question is: based on your design, are the metal hangers going to fine by turning the front pipe? Or does metal hangers bending is involved?
We never bend those hangers on that front pipe so it should be right after you get it turned around and mounted to the header correctly.

We do bend the outer hangers in the rear to center it up and keep it from the bumper on some cars.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more