North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-434/)
-   -   Drivetrain Full Flash via OBD2 has arrived for the MINI-F56 Platform (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/322185-full-flash-via-obd2-has-arrived-for-the-mini-f56-platform.html)

Mini_Vinnie 01-01-2018 10:36 AM

please make FedEx hurry. Thursday is a long time away

:)

vetsvette 01-01-2018 08:05 PM

Mine is out in the mail box. I selected FEDEX as a carrier, but it came in two days via USPS. Been here since Saturday. Too damned cold to walk the 100 yards. I'll pick it up next time I take the car out. Have to wait until my buddy gets back to town to use his heated garage and according to the instructions I'm gonna need his battery charger too.

Bytetronik 01-01-2018 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4356659)
Mine is out in the mail box. I selected FEDEX as a carrier, but it came in two days via USPS. Been here since Saturday. Too damned cold to walk the 100 yards. I'll pick it up next time I take the car out. Have to wait until my buddy gets back to town to use his heated garage and according to the instructions I'm gonna need his battery charger too.

It's a two-step process; so for Step 1, you don't need the battery charger.

Step 1: Query your ECU and save the "Detailed ECU info", save that as a text file and send that over to us via email. We need this detailed info in order to make the "Structured Tune" file which is car and VIN specific.

Step 2: Once you get the "Structured Tune*" file from us, then that's the file that needs to be flashed into your ECU (this is when you would need the battery charger b/c the process takes about 10 minutes).

Our target response time for getting the tune file back to customers is within ONE Business Day (from the time we received your detailed ECU info). Hope this clarifies things a bit.

*NOTE: With this Structured Tune file, we can bring your ECU up to the last and most current software from BMW, at the same time, incorporate our tune all in one shot. So for customers with 2014 thru 2016 vehicles, we can accomplish both of these with one flash into your ECU :)

TVPostSound 01-01-2018 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4356659)

I hear you, it's going to be a balmy 73 degrees here tomorrow, don't know if I want to go to work.:sly:

vetsvette 01-01-2018 09:49 PM

It's 6º here right now. Thanks to my electric heat pump my next paycheck is toast. Thing's not much good with multiple days in the teens and twenties. It's been running nonstop for two weeks.

Mini_Vinnie 01-02-2018 06:09 AM

Screw you guys, -22 here!

I say that with love :)

Stupid question, is the battery charger needed because it takes so long it could kill the battery? Would a trickle charger work?

F56-JCDub 01-02-2018 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4356710)

We have -13 here in Mass. It is definitely cold out.

nqr31467 01-02-2018 07:51 AM

Waiting on my package to arrive. Expected by tomorrow. -15 here in Chicagoland area.

Bytetronik 01-02-2018 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4356710)

Stupid question, is the battery charger needed because it takes so long it could kill the battery? Would a trickle charger work?

If your battery is in good order, trickle charger should work for the flashing of the tune. Just make sure your driver side seat belt is buckled in and the head lights are turned off. The process takes 10 minutes to flash.

Mini_Vinnie 01-02-2018 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bytetronik (Post 4356768)
If your battery is in good order, trickle charger should work for the flashing of the tune. Just make sure your driver side seat belt is buckled in and the head lights are turned off. The process takes 10 minutes to flash.

Gotcha, the battery is "only" a year old too. Buying a trickle charger tonight then!

2017All4 01-02-2018 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4356679)
It's 6º here right now. Thanks to my electric heat pump my next paycheck is toast. Thing's not much good with multiple days in the teens and twenties. It's been running nonstop for two weeks.

Dropped below 56 degrees here on the Left Coast yesterday for the Rose Parade. We are considering making animal sacrifices to appease the angry gods.

Good news is my Dinan Sport works better in these moderate temps -- doesn't like the 100 degree heat we had last summer, way back in 2017.

Oh, wait, the sun just came out. Looks like it will hit 70 again today. Hope my Dinan doesn't act up.:razz:

2017All4 01-02-2018 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4356679)
Thanks to my electric heat pump my next paycheck is toast. Thing's not much good with multiple days in the teens and twenties.

I feel for ya. As I was outside grilling brats last night it dropped into the low 50's.

My December gas bill, for house heat, hot water, and, of course, the outdoor grill, ran up to almost $70. Thank goodness MINIs are so inexpensive to operate, thus we can afford to keep warm and well fed:wink:

Think I'll take the boat out -- it's such a nice day

vetsvette 01-02-2018 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bytetronik (Post 4356768)

Hmm. That brings up another question. I replaced my seats with Sparco seats and the seat belts are not wired into anything. Is this just to keep from running the battery down or does the car have to see it as latched to program? I don't have a seatbelt light or buzzer going off when it's not buckled.

Bytetronik 01-02-2018 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4356810)
Hmm. That brings up another question. I replaced my seats with Sparco seats and the seat belts are not wired into anything. Is this just to keep from running the battery down or does the car have to see it as latched to program? I don't have a seatbelt light or buzzer going off when it's not buckled.

In that case, just keep the driver side door open during the flashing process. We just don't want the car go into 'sleep mode' half way through the process.

vetsvette 01-02-2018 11:18 AM

Whew! Cool. Thanks.

Mini_Vinnie 01-02-2018 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4356821)
Whew! Cool. Thanks.

Actually, Whitey what he meant to say is that you are screwed and you better sell me the seats, belts and roll cage. I guess Ill give you my stock seats too.

Mimaki 01-02-2018 08:48 PM

arrived safe and sound down here in aus. but going to wait another 1500km's to do first proper service at the dealer & oil change etc before the flash.

looks like I have some driving to do... lol

Bytetronik 01-02-2018 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mimaki (Post 4356971)
arrived safe and sound down here in aus. but going to wait another 1500km's to do first proper service at the dealer & oil change etc before the flash.

looks like I have some driving to do... lol

Good to hear. Send over your detailed ECU info so we can get the tune file back to you. You can decide when to flash that Tune file into the ecu :wink:

Mimaki 01-02-2018 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bytetronik (Post 4356975)
Good to hear. Send over your detailed ECU info so we can get the tune file back to you. You can decide when to flash that Tune file into the ecu :wink:

doesn't matter if the dealer installs any updates during the service? (after sending you the ECU info?)

Bytetronik 01-02-2018 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mimaki (Post 4356976)
doesn't matter if the dealer installs any updates during the service? (after sending you the ECU info?)

*NOTE: With this Structured Tune file, we can bring your ECU up to the last and most current software from BMW, at the same time, incorporate our tune all in one shot. So they have no reasons to update your ECU :)

Bytetronik 01-03-2018 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4356821)
Whew! Cool. Thanks.

Are you guys still stuck in the snow? :lol:

vetsvette 01-03-2018 11:15 AM

No snow, just cold as hell! Nothing compared to the midwest, but around here the houses and my heat pump in particular were not built for extended periods of frigid weather. It was 1º when I went to bed last night. Next week the highs are supposed to go from the 20's to high 40's or low 50's for a while. Hope to work on the Mini then.

Mini_Vinnie 01-03-2018 12:12 PM

I’m pretty sure my fedex driver is frozen. It’s “supposed” to arrive tomorrow

My headunit in my mini is messed up so they are doing a warranty replacement next week. Hopefully then I can Flash! I’m not sure what goes into replacing a headunit so I don’t want to flash this weekend then they flash it back to stock

vetsvette 01-03-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4357149)
I’m pretty sure my fedex driver is frozen. It’s “supposed” to arrive tomorrow

My headunit in my mini is messed up so they are doing a warranty replacement next week. Hopefully then I can Flash! I’m not sure what goes into replacing a headunit so I don’t want to flash this weekend then they flash it back to stock

Like BT said earlier, you can go ahead and copy the current tune and send it to them. They will send you the new tunes with the latest OEM software updates and you can reflash your car when you want to.

nqr31467 01-03-2018 12:30 PM

Here waiting patiently for the arrival of my package at the FedEx office so I can go pick it up after work. I will copy my current tune asap and then will work on the flash during the weekend.