Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain "The Driveshaft Shop" level 2.9 Driveshaft's installation on R53

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:03 PM
3.calib
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"The Driveshaft Shop" level 2.9 Driveshaft's installation on R53

Has anyone installed the Level 2.9 Driveshafts from the Driveshaft Shop on their R53? Im doing the work myself and am having some real trouble finding the correct Left Axle carrier bearing. I was pointed in the direction of the VXB
"5207LLU Angular Contact 35x72x27 Sealed Bearing" as a replacement to the OEM as the ID on the new shaft is larger. But this bearing DOES NOT FIT!!!

Issue:
Step 1 - Press out the OEM bearing from carrier bracket (DONE)
Step 2 - Press in the new bearing into carrier bracket (DONE)
**when fully pressed the new VXB 35x72x27 was too thick. Resulting in the bearing covering the race track for the retention "C" clip. The bearing is too tall? thick? whetever you wanna call it. Im thinking if 35mm is ID and 72mm is OD then the 27mm would have to go down to 24mm or 25mm just to clear the race to seat the "C" clip so the bearing wont back out.**

I could just take it to the shop and they can do it and ill never know how.... im almost there but not there yet.. can anyone help me with the correct bearing to get so that I can still use my OEM "C" clip? or If ill need to get a shorter bearing in combination with a thinner "C" clip?

Once i figure this thing out i will be posting a full how to since it seems others have the same issue and have not yet posted a solution or just took it to a shop and had them put magic on it.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:13 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Going to move you to the Mod Drivetrain section.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:43 PM
3.calib
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@r53coop, thanks! anything helps to get the answer.