Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain eBay header/ cat combo

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:29 PM
ssean72
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
eBay header/ cat combo

Has anyone bought or used one of these, I think mine is getting clogged due to everytime I get on it meaning hard acceleration I get the rotten egg smell. I don't seem to have all the power it should have. Here is a link to the one I am looking at.http://m.ebay.com/itm/262858996371?_...98&_mwBanner=1

Old 06-27-2017, 03:48 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
You do not say whether you are R50 or R53 but I do know that the R53 engine puts out allot of heat and wondering how long that CAT will last.

Moving this to the Mod section as pretty sure you will get more pros and cons. How many miles on your current unit? Have you looked at a salvage/ebay unit?

Old 06-27-2017, 08:55 AM
ssean72
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
You do not say whether you are R50 or R53 but I do know that the R53 engine puts out allot of heat and wondering how long that CAT will last.

Moving this to the Mod section as pretty sure you will get more pros and cons. How many miles on your current unit? Have you looked at a salvage/ebay unit?
I do have an R53 with a 17% pulley. I was looking to save a little money on a cat for my intercooler upgrade. I don't need to pass emissions but not wanting a loud car, I eliminated my cat on a previous build and hated the car afterwards. I have seen a couple of these on the internet from eBay and the seem to be pretty good quality, I just haven't seen on from this company from Canada.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
OK, with the R53 you are back to the high heat level. Would think you should get some responses here.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:50 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Try a junkyard near you! Nothing wrong with saving good Mini parts from the scrapheap. Anything that isn't rubber or hard to replace is a good candidate. For instance, I've purchased the following good, used working parts from the junkyard:

Window
Window motor
Glovebox
Bypass Valve
Radiator/Radiator Hoses

Of course, you have to be careful and inspect the quality of the parts, and always be prepared to walk away, but it's better than shelling out $500 or whatever the hell an OEM header costs..

Old 06-28-2017, 11:17 PM
ssean72
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sarom058
Try a junkyard near you! Nothing wrong with saving good Mini parts from the scrapheap. Anything that isn't rubber or hard to replace is a good candidate. For instance, I've purchased the following good, used working parts from the junkyard:

Window
Window motor
Glovebox
Bypass Valve
Radiator/Radiator Hoses

Of course, you have to be careful and inspect the quality of the parts, and always be prepared to walk away, but it's better than shelling out $500 or whatever the hell an OEM header costs..
I don't have any local yards with mini's in them, but think I am going to let it go for now. The more I beat on the care the less it seems to do it. I am guessing that the lady that had it before me didn't drive it hard, and it got a build up in the car. I will see how it acts in the next month or so. They do offer a replacement cat by its self so if I do need to change it I will just get one of those and have my local exhaust shop change it